Honey Sriracha Chicken Flatbread.
Do you know how boringly stereotypical I am?
I know. You probably do, but wait I’m going to give you one more reason to believe it.
My last meal – or, at least PART of my last meal – would most definitely be pizza. It would include some sort of pizza, tons of cheese, no pepperoni and even more cheese on top. The finely grated kind. A little sprinkle.
Err, more like a rain shower. But whatever. You get it.
I can tell you that this is flatbread until I’m blue in the face (I mean, technically it IS, it doesn’t rise) but the truth is that if most people would do a quick peek of these photos, they’d scream PIZZA.
Like my mom. And Max. And even Eddie. It definitely looks like pizza and sure, let’s say it’s a version of pizza.
Therefore, you may be wondering.
Um, Jessica? Isn’t this, like, extremely similar to your chipotle chicken pizza?!
It’s not. I swear it’s not. In fact it’s very, very different of course. There are peanuts! And honey. And quick flatbread with no yeast. And zero goat cheese. (sad?)
So we had a flatbread just like this a few months ago at a local-ish restaurant and I have been DYING to recreate it ever since. The sweet and spicy combo was so fantastic, especially with the crunch of the peanuts. The cilantro gave it a refreshing bite too. And we ate it all after a spa day we had in preparation for one of my best friend’s weddings, when we hadn’t eaten all day but HAD drank a incredulous amount of lemon water. Annnnnd we might have picked out a bunch of chocolate chips from the trail mix that was in the lobby. But that’s neither here nor there.
The moral of that story is that we were very hungry and that flatbread hit.the.spot. It was insanely delicious.
It’s crunchy, but chewy, but soft, but melty and is incredibly flavorful. You can use leftover chicken if you have it and simply caramelize your shallots by tossing them in brown sugar. And the roasted tomatoes are the best way to honor the end of an excellent summer! If you don’t want to roast ‘em, no biggie.
Do it up quick!
Honey Sriracha Chicken Flatbread
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces gruyere cheese, freshly grated
- 3 tablespoons chopped peanuts, for topping
- fresh cilantro for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and place the cherry tomatoes on the sheet. Drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, or until the tomatoes are bursting.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken with the salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Once hot, add the chicken and cook until golden on all sides, about 5 to 6 minutes, tossing once or twice during cook time. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon honey and 1 tablespoon of the sriracha and cook for 1 minute. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Reduce the heat to low.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet. Place the shallots with a sprinkle of salt into the skillet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon honey. Cook, stirring often, until the shallots are caramely and golden. Transfer them to a bowl.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, basil, oregano and garlic powder, stirring to combine. Add the water and olive oil and mix with a spoon until the dough comes together. Use your hands to finish bringing it together into a ball, then knead it a few times on a floured surface. Roll and press the dough into the size of your skillet. I use a 12-inch skillet – if you use one significantly small, this recipe can make 2 flatbreads.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Brush the skillet with olive oil then gently and carefully place the dough into the skillet. Cook until bubbles begin to form, about 2 to 3 minutes. Brush the top of the dough with olive oil then flip it over with kitchen tongs. Reduce the heat to medium. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the dough. Place the roasted tomatoes, chicken and shallots all over the top. Add the other half of the cheese. Drizzle with the honey and the sriracha.
- Place the skillet in the oven and cook for 15 minutes, just until the cheese is bubbly and golden. Top with the fresh cilantro, peanuts and extra sriracha if you wish! You can slice the flatbread in the skillet or slide it out onto a cutting board.
Bite for youuuu.