1. Over the weekend Max walked into the house and handed me these flowers and I just about DIED. It was sort of cliche but totally perfect and inspired me to get out a bunch of decorative pumpkins. And for that Eddie did ten thousand eye rolls.
2. Um, these churro apple pie bowls are ridiculous and I need them.
3. Even though I’m a major fan of Dunkin’s iced pumpkin coffee over the PSL, I ordered an iced PSL last week at Starbucks and here’s the thing: I hate the whipped cream on it! And I forgot to say no whip. I mean, I love whipped cream but I don’t want it on iced coffee. It melts and gets weird with the ice. Are you with me?
4. Favorite booties that you are loving for fall? I have about 21 pairs in my online Nordstrom cart and can’t decide.
5. The lip sync battle with Michael Phelps and the surprise guests made my life.
6. You know I have crazy mad love for Tom Hanks (and that Eddie doesn’t really like him as an actor – it’s a HUGE point of contention in our marriage, hello), so I must share this just so you can watch the music video again.
7. I really love Masters of Sex and can see how so many other people think it’s boring, but even I found myself thinking the whole premier episode LET’S SPEED IT UP HERE A LITTLE. Maybe it’s my internet generation brain. I did really like it though with the whole Hugh H thing – some neat (neat? is this 1992? wtf) pop culture. I live for Lizzy Caplan. And the outfits right now are fun too.
8. I feel like I’ve neglected the “story telling” vibe in my photos lately and sometimes find myself going through the motions since I don’t love photography. I have tons of delicious recipes I’ve made but can’t convey my excitement in the photos! It’s so cyclical for me. What gets you out of a creative rut?
9. On that note, next week I’ll be speaking at the chopped conference! Are you going? You should! Tell me, tell me! Come say hi.
23 Comments on “Tuesday Things.”
I don’t love the photography part either… at all. I got out of a rut recently when I spent WAAAAAY too much $$ on new props though. I ransacked Etsy and antique stores, and it made a tremendous difference in my inspiration. I overhauled my collection basically. I’m with you… it’s not my favorite at all. But, your photography is always jaw-dropping and stunning, if that’s any motivation!
Haven’t seen it yet, but I’m so excited to watch the lip sync battle. I freakin’ love the gymnasts!
i am the same way – props usually do it for me!
Have you seen Tom Hanks on Ellen recently? It was adorable and they did a mini “Woody/Dory” conversation. He’s just so likeable!!!
I don’t understand why they put whip on iced drinks, either. I guess there are probably people out there who complain if they *don’t* put it on there, though, so they just default to doing it!
Love Tom Hanks – even in bad films! Have you watched Stranger Things on Netflix yet? Good lord its fantastic. Loves the throwback to the 70s and the kids are great actors. Give it a try even if you do not like scary/suspenseful shows.
I’m with your husband, if Tom Hanks is in it, I’ll pass.
^^^^^^^^^^ THIS! Insert one thousand clapping hands emojis
You don’t love photography?? But your pictures are so fun and colorful and lively!
“What gets you out of a creative rut?” Can’t wait to hear what you find out because I’m seriously struggling with that too – especially when it comes from photography! I think I need some more colorful boards or something.
And those flowers from Max – omg. So sweet!
Yes!!! I totally agree about whipped cream in iced beverages. Hot ones it melts nicely into but cold no waaaaay! So chunky and clumpy. No thanks!
I will preface this by saying I am an absolute will-eat-it-out-of-a-can whipped cream fanatic, but I am with you on the iced beverages thing. The curdle-y (making that a word) way it looks where it meets the liquid is a hard pass.
I looove iced coffee, and I looove whipped cream. I saw a girl get whipped cream on her iced coffee once and though yeah, that sounds like a great idea! But it totally wasn’t. It was weird and gross, I couldn’t even finish the whole thing.
I loooove iced coffee and drink it every morning, even in the winter. But whipped cream? Ick, no! I only want that on my hot chocolate. (By the way, I still haven’t had a pumpkin spice latte! I’m probably the only one, but as much as I love pumpkin (pumpkin cheesecake is my absolute fave!) I just can’t bring myself to want pumpkin in my coffee.
I’ve watched that Tom Hanks music video a zillion times – so good! But… this is driving me crazy. His camel hair coat is too tight!! (In fact in the 2nd street /coat scene, it’s a different coat!!!)
I’m an artist and when I get a little “dry” I look at other people’s work – not to copy, but to get ideas. That said, your photos are always incredible!
Whip cream only belongs on hot and blended drinks! I’ve always wondered who actually likes it on iced drinks. It’s so inconsistent too. I never remember to say no whip when I order an iced latte and sometimes they put whip cream on but other times they don’t which makes it even harder to remember to ask due none.
Creative ruts are the worst. I’ve tried the whole ‘stick to a schedule and just do it to get it done’ but that doesn’t really work for me. What I’ve found does work for me, is to focus on something else, something that I’m crazy excited about and that brings me joy. Like shopping for new props, then when I have a new bowl or plate or whatever that I just spent a bunch of money on, I know I’ll want to show it off and take a picture of it. Or working on something that I don’t intend to be blog related, then I fall in love with it so much that I cannot not share it. For example, a few months ago when Pokemon Go was ALLTHERAGE my hubby was into it (insert all the eye rolls on my part here) and we’d go on these long Pokemon walks. Well, on one of these walks we discovered a swing park. Not even kidding – it was a little park someone had set up under an underpass that had huge swings on it. I could not not swing on them, and I felt like a kid, I mean, when was the last time you were on a swing? lol. We had brunch after the swing park and I had a dish that was so good that I wanted to recreate at home, which I did, and then I had a whole little story to tell about the swing park.
ChoppedCon – I’m going, I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE YOU! Legit! Superrrrr excited!
Lip Sync Battle was a hoot! Sometimes I just fast forward through it but the finale was the best one yet! I was glad Michael won! He killed it! Loved all the acts..the surprises were great..Love Olivia Munn…and of course John Legend…
and never saw a Tom Hanks movie I didn’t like..lol…and he’s such a nice person!
Yay booties! I love that you have 21 in your cart, variety is good right?
I am loving my Rag & Bone Harrow booties so much, a lot of people say they’re not super comfortable but once you break them in, they are amazing! Also the Nordstrom BP brand Trolley booties are really comfortable and really well priced.
And you’re so right about whipped cream on iced coffee, it just does not taste right.
I think your photos are great! You are so creative and funny with how you introduce the recipes that I’m convinced by both your words and your pictures :)
Oh my goodness! I have so many booties in my Nordstrom cart too!!! Which ones are you eyeing!?!
Favorite fall booties are definitely the Petty by Sam Edelman. I have them in both suede and leather and just keep coming back to them every year
I’ve no patience for photography of any kind. . . and I think your photos are terrific.
Carolyn Russo, who works with Smithsonian Air and Space museum, and recently put out her “Art of the Airport Tower” collection of photographs told me last year that “with distance comes perspective” – and she uses this with all her photography. Maybe you can use that concept somehow with food photography.
You may not like the photography part, but that is what is inspiring me to try your food. They are really so beautiful and it makes me want to eat better just looking at them.
Pingback: Tuesday Things. | How Sweet It Is - Sun Stop Blinds - Brisbane - 07 3299 3055