Slow Cooker Banh Mi Rice Bowls.
I’ve got the best ever bowl for you!
This week we are having a major Indian Summer. Yesterday we want to an(other) autumn festival and it was over 80 degrees. The crazy fall lover in me is not a fan of this but I couldn’t have picked a better recipe to share that meshes the warm and cool season!
This slow cooker pork tenderloin is delicious and something you can use all year. But the traditional banh mi toppings are super refreshing and crisp. This make the dish taste a little like summer. And the rice bowl keeps it warm for fall. It’s pure perfection!
This recipe comes from my friend Gina’s new cookbook, Skinnytaste Fast and Slow. I seriously adore Gina – she is amazingly genuine and kind. AND her recipes are killer! I never thought to make a bowl version of banh mi and am always stuck on the sandwich idea. When made this way, the options are absolutely endless for the pork.
Perhaps my favorite part though… and this should come as no surprise… are the pickled radish and carrot sticks. I freak over ALL things pickled. In the dish, Gina makes this a quick pickled recipe, but I let mine marinate a little longer and oh my gosh. I wanted to eat them with a spoon.
I mean, I pretty much did just eat them with a spoon. Alone. I almost ate them all up before I could top the bowl.
For the rice, I chose brown jasmine rice because it’s always what we have on hand. I love the Trader Joe’s version and it’s foolproof to make. Plus, jasmine rice with that extra hint of flavor and fragrance is the only rice I ever want to eat. Forever and ever.
These bowls! Aren’t they super pretty? And bright? And pretty darn good for you?
Yes yes yes. And since they taste fantastic this is a huge win. Let’s make liking Mondays a thing.
Slow Cooker Banh Mi Rice Bowls
- 1 pound pork tenderloin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cups cooked brown jasmine rice
- for topping: sliced cucumber, shredded cabbage, cilantro, sliced jalapeno, pickled carrots/radishes
- Season the pork with the salt and pepper and place it in the slow cooker. Whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and jalapeno and pour it over the pork. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours. Once finished, shred with two forks.
- Place the brown rice in bowls and top with the shredded pork. Top with the cucumber, cabbage,cilantro, jalapeno and pickled carrots and radishes!
pickled carrots and radishes
- In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar and salt until the sugar and salt it dissolved. Stir in the carrots and radishes and let sit for at least 30 minutes. Drain and place the carrots and radishes in the fridge until ready to eat.
I might only like radishes because they are neon. Truth.