Sticky Apple Cider BBQ Chicken.
Raise your hand if you need a new Monday recipe!
This is my absolute FAVORITE time to develop new recipes and come up with ideas in the kitchen – when the air is cooling down and the brown butter is flowing and the candles all smell like pumpkin cake. The leaves are crunchy and there is caramel sauce on everything and bourbon is on the rocks…
There hasn’t been a time I can remember when I WASN’T completely in love with apple cider, and I’m sure you’ve noticed how evident that is on my blog come September of every.single.year. Why is it just so freaking delicious?
For the last few months, I’ve been trying to come up with a delicious oven-baked BBQ chicken – one that was sticky and sweet, still tender and flavorful without being dry or simply sitting in the sauce. I wanted the sauce to COAT that chicken. You know?
One sauce that I love is the apple cider grilling sauce from american spoon. It’s not sticky-sweet though, which is why I went about creating my own!
Cannot even tell you how many attempts at this recipe I fed Eddie for dinner. He obviously loves chicken so it’s not like he cared, but I was absolutely sick of recipe attempts.
Until! I found this method for the oven baked chicken.
And! I used the base of my vanilla bourbon BBQ sauce from seriously delish.
Heaven breakthough! This is my new go-to chicken recipe… until my next new favorite chicken recipe. Of course.
So, I mean, what the heck should we serve this with? If you’re feeling all sorts of comfort, let’s do goat cheese mashed potatoes. Eddie is allllll over that.
If you want something lighter, then definitely some maple bacon brussels with maaaaybe a side of garlic bread. Because always garlic bread.
Could even just be a snack out of the fridge. NO idea who would ever do that.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 pound chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- apple cider BBQ sauce
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup apple cider
- ½ cup honey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Drizzle a baking sheet with the olive oil.
- Pat the chicken completely dry with a paper towel. Season it with the salt and pepper evenly. Place the chicken on the sheet, but don’t crowd the pan. Use two if needed!
- Roast the chicken for 25 minutes. Remove it from the oven and brush it with the BBQ sauce. Bake it for another 5 to 7 minutes. Flip, brush with sauce again, and bake for another 5. Repeat the process one or two more times, slathering the chicken with the sauce.
- Let cool slightly before serving. And serve it with the extra sauce!
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan and whisk together until combined. Heat oven medium heat and bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat and cook for 30 to 60 minutes, until thickened. Stir occasionally. Remove from the heat and let sit at room temperature until it cools and thickens even more.
- Store in a jar or sealed container in the fridge.
Definitely needs cheese too.