Cheesy Turkey (or Chicken!) Tortilla Soup with Crispy Tortilla Strips.
I have THE BEST idea for your leftovers.
No. Seriously. The absolute best. It’s warm, cheesy, comforting and topped with homemade chips.
Why is life so good?
Okay, so here’s the most exciting thing about this soup. Have you ever tried Max and Erma’s chicken tortilla soup? It’s so rich and cheesy and wonderful? We used to go crazy over it in college and heck, I think I even had some when I was pregnant. It’s probably my mom’s favorite soup ever. It’s just
So, I really wanted to recreate that but I had no idea how. THEN IT HIT ME.
I didn’t realize that it was called chicken “tortilla” soup because there could be actual tortillas in the soup. Like this tortilla soup I made this past summer! Oh my gosh. That was it. That was the trick.
Well, that and a whole boatload of cheese.
Maybe not a boatload. But a rather heavy handed sprinkle.
Yes, you’re going to put corn tortillas IN your soup! And let them cook down and thicken the soup. It’s the best thing I’ve discovered in all of 2016. It’s a fantastic way to thicken soup without cream or milk. Amazing!
Also, the toppings. Life is all about the toppings. Wouldn’t you agree? I crisped up the remaining corn tortillas (because, um, why not) and piled them high on the soup with a little extra cheese. The crunch and texture is everrrrything.
You guys HAVE to try this. It’s so wildly delicious that I can hardly stand it! Use up your leftover turkey or make it with chicken. Either way… it’s perfection. Probably going to make it once a week forever. And ever.
Turkey Tortilla Soup with Crispy Tortilla Strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 14-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 4 4-inch corn tortillas, cut into pieces
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, freshly grated
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 8 ounces cooked and shredded turkey breast or chicken breast!
- for topping: fresh cilantro, extra cheese, avocado, thinly sliced radish, fresh lime
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 corn tortillas
- Heat a large pot over medium-low heat and add the olive oil. Stir in the onion, garlic, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Cook until the onions soften, about 5 to 6 minutes. Pour in the diced tomatoes and chicken stock and add the tortilla pieces. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce it to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. You could also use an immersion blender, but I find that they spray everywhere. Pour the soup back into the pot and heat it over low heat. Stir in the cheese, one handful at a time, until melted. Stir in the turkey (or chicken!). Cook on low until the soup is heated through. Taste and season additionally if needed.
- Serve in bowls and top with avocado, radish, tortilla chips and the leftover cilantro.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Slice the tortillas into thin strips. Add them in batches, not crowding the pan, until they crisp and become golden brown. Remove them and place on a paper towel to drain excess grease. Repeat with remaining tortillas!
Let’s really use those leftovers and make cranberry margaritas!