Thai Beef Bowls.
Welcome to the dish I’d like to eat every day for the next month.
I’ve really loved all the dishes I’ve shared in this first month of 2017, but this one takes the cake. Or it takes the beef. It’s my new favorite dinner until my next favorite dinner comes along!
I bet you’re surprised?
I absolutely adore any sort of Thai or Thai-inspired cuisine. It’s probably second on the list (right after Mexican of course) and one of those foods that I’m always in the mood for, no matter what the day has been like. Plus, I have tons of cool memories associated with Thai cuisine. Eddie and I spent our first New Year’s Eve together, starting with some Thai food. We also once had one of our biggest fights ever driving to get Thai food.
I really wish I remember what the fight was about – considering it seemed like a huge one and I’d love to (over)share the details ten years later – especially since apparently it was of zero importance. Because I can’t even remember. You know. Oh marriage!
The rundown on this big huggable bowl of love:
tender, flavorful beef tossed with delicious peanut sauce and scallions.
lots of spiralized zucchini and even a spiralized carrot!
a big spoonful of brown rice.
sliced bell peppers and…
lots of crunchy peanuts!
This peanut sauce is one of my go-to recipes and has been for years. If you’ve ever made some of my Thai inspired recipes from the site, you’ll totally recognize it. It’s packed with flavor and you cook it down so it’s a wonderfully thick drizzle all over the bowl. It essentially doubles as the flavor for your steak and the dressing on top of all the things.
Double duty, what whaaaaat.
It’s fresh and delicious and fairly healthy and you could make a million substitutions based on what you’re craving. Rice noodles? Let’s do it! Lettuce wraps? Even better.
Something really cool that I don’t even know about? Sure.
Thai Beef Bowls
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup lite canned coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves pressed or finely minced
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon-sized knob of ginger grated
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 6 ounces beef sirloin thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini spiralized
- 1 carrot spiralized
- fresh basil and cilantro for topping
- lime wedges for garnish
- chopped peanuts for topping
- In a saucepan, combine the chili sauce, vinegar, coconut milk, sugar, garlic, ginger, peanut butter, soy sauce and lime juice, whisking to combine. Cook over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens a bit, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Season the beef with the salt and pepper. Add the oil to the skillet and once it’s hot, add the beef and sear until it’s just cooked through (or done to your desired liking). Once the beef is finished, drizzle some of the peanut sauce over top.
- To assemble the bowls, add the spiralized zucchini and carrot into a bowl with the red pepper and brown rice. Top with the beef and the sauce, tossing everything together. Top with the fresh herbs, a spritz of lime and the chopped peanuts.
Color quota fulfilled!