Sesame Crusted Shrimp and Mango Quinoa Bowls.
I’ve got your dinner tonight!
No. Seriously. I’ve GOT your dinner. There is so much love here in this little bowl that my heart might explode. I must share.
I mentioned last week that I’ve had a weird thing going on with shrimp. I’ve always enjoyed it, but it must have been when I was pregnant with Max that I become completely disinterested in it. It’s not like I HATED it. But? Meh. For the last two-ish years, it’s rarely been my meal of choice. Why do these wacko things happen to our taste buds and brain?
When I was kid and hated pasta, I remember telling my grandma how sad I was that I didn’t LIKE pasta. She told me that my tastes would change over time and I thought she was nuts. I was like… now that is bizarre. My tastes are not going to change!
Boom. They did.
And they did again!
WHY did it never cross my mind to encrust shrimp in sesame seeds? I mean, I’m completely obsessed with EVERYTHING sesame flavored. It’s easily in my top five favorites at the moment. And the seeds add this amazzzzing crunch to the shrimp. Eeeeep.
Here’s the rundown for this bowl:
Quinoa with mango and cilantro. Dooooo it.
The lovely sesame crusted shrimp! Best texture ever.
Lots of sesame seeds and toasted sesame oil.
Tons of lime. Of course.
GUYS. There is so much flavor going on here that it’s mind blowing.
Mix everything together or eat it piece by piece because it’s perfect. And then, instagrammable. Of course.
Sesame Crusted Shrimp with Mango Quinoa
- ½ pound peeled raw and deveined jumbo shrimp
- 2 large eggs beaten
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds for topping
- sliced avocado for serving
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry quinoa rinsed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 mango peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Pat the shrimp completely dry. In one bowl, add the eggs. In a second bowl, stir together the sesame seeds, flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the coconut oil. Take the shrimp and dip it in the beaten egg, then dip it in the sesame seed mix, pressing gently so the seeds adhere. Place the shrimp in the skillet, being careful not to crowd the skillet, and cook until the sesame seeds are toasted – about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Place the shrimp on a plate and repeat with remaining shrimp.
- Assemble the bowls by scooping the quinoa into the bowl, topping with the sesame shrimp, adding some mango chunks and avocado. Drizzle with toasted sesame oil, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
- Place the water, quinoa, coconut oil, salt and pepper in a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce it to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. Remove the quinoa from the heat and stir in the mango and cilantro.
Now margaritas? Seems like a fit.