Mini Coconut Ricotta Pancakes with Strawberry Syrup.
Totally serving you breakfast today.
I feel like I’ve definitely overwhelmed you with breakfast and brunch recipes in the last few weeks, so I promise that after this one? We will take a little break.
For a few minutes, of course. The brunch obsession will just not quit.
THESE PANCAKES. Oh my gosh. They are SO good.
First, I adore ricotta in pancakes. I first tried it when I made these lemon ricotta pancakes with bittersweet chocolate. The key for me is to whip the ricotta first so it’s super smooth and creamy. Lovely!
Next, the coconut. We’ve already established that I’m a coconut freak so I’ll spare you my annoying rambles about how OMGIloveitsomuch. If you’re really not a fan, you can absolutely leave it out.
Because! The star of the show here for me, aside from the fluffy ricotta inside the pancakes, is the strawberry syrup. Whoa whoa whoa. It’s is so fantastic. It’s indulgent, but it’s really just maple syrup and strawberries cooked down. It adds so much to the pancakes though. Plus, you may just want to eat it with a spoon.
I made these in a mini version because all things mini are cuter. Plus, if they are part of a spread at brunch, they don’t need to be huge. Sometimes I want a savory breakfast, but still order one pancake on the side for a bite or two. It’s like breakfast dessert. The pancakes, however, tend to be HUGE and I can never finish them. So mini babies it is!
Obviously you can make big ol’ pancakes too if that’s your thing.
And powdered sugar showers are definitely a thing if you want these extra trashy.
Pancakes are truly the one food that put me straight into a carb coma. I can’t believe that there was a time in my life when I could eat only pancakes and syrup for breakfast without wanting to crawl back into bed an hour later. MY YOUTH.
These days, I like a few bites as mentioned – or I like them as a breakfast side dish with some form of eggs. Eddie on the other hand puts fried eggs on TOP of his pancakes. It’s interesting. I’m not against it but I’m not… into it yet.
These I’m totally into. The coconut whipped cream on top completely sells me and cuts the sweetness of the strawberry syrup. I could EASILY take down an entire plate of these for breakfast if I planned on spending the day curled up under the covers.
Plus, these are super adorable and pretty. Can I please only eat pretty food forever?
- 2/3 cup whipped ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- coconut whipped cream
- powdered sugar
- flaked coconut
- fresh mint
- To make the whipped ricotta, add it to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, coconut, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. Whisk together until combined. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the ricotta, milk, vanilla extract and butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing until smooth and combined.
- Heat a large skillet or electric griddle over medium heat. Add a bit of butter if desired, then pour 2 tablespoons of batter on the hot skillet and repeat, leaving an inch between pancakes. Cook until the pancakes bubble on the top and edges, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook for another minute or two until golden and set.
- Combine the strawberries and syrup in a saucepan and heat over low heat until bubbling. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until the strawberries break down and the mixture is syrupy. You can mash the strawberries with a fork if needed!
That fluff is crazy.