Piña Coladas… Minus the Rum!
I’m doing this.
Like really doing this! I’m showing you how I have been making a piña colada mocktail so I can drink it on the hot summer days right now. If you’re pregnant too or if you don’t consume alcohol, I think you might be suuuuper into this. We are talking frosty, coconutty pineapple goodness that tastes like you’re on a tropical island!
Cannot even handle it.
My most favorite part of this? It’s that I swirled some syrup from a jar of Luxardo cherries into the top of the drink.
Made me feel so darn fancy. Not to mention it tastes like HEAVEN.
Here’s the thing. Piña coladas have been a huge thing for me. Basically all of my life. No, I mean it’s not like I was drinking them as a child. But I was so obsessed with the flavor and the scent (maybe picking it up first at an Orange Julius stop in the mall or something?) that it probably was one of the reasons coconut has always been a favorite flavor of mine.
I mean we are talking piña colada EVERYTHING. I would get candles, lip gloss, body wash, shampoo, air fresheners, all that jazz. The faker the scent, the better, I’m sure. I was, like, 12. Not 22. Don’t worry.
Once I actually was of legal drinking age, I wasn’t so much into the piña colada drink idea but I’m sure I ordered many just because of how pretty they looked. An umbrella! A pretty straw! A cherry swirl!
As if I’m not girly enough.
And! The only time I was slightly distracted from the loveliness of coconut and rum is after a few too many nights of Malibu rum in college. We actually HAD a piña colada candle in our dorm room (illegally, I might add) after all these nights of Malibu and we had to get rid of it because even unlit, the scent made us so sick. It was baaaad. You know.
So glad I got past that and didn’t ruin coconut for life.
Let’s do it! Here’s what you want:
Some frozen pineapple, for extra frostiness.
Coconut milk AND coconut water. KEYS. We are turning the coconut water into ice cubes!
Also, coconut cream, if you can! We are serious about coconut over here.
Freshly squeezed lime juice! This is important. It makes it taste a lot more legit.
Even if you DO drink alcohol and are in a position to do so (aka, not knocked up), you might be verrry tempted to try this and call it breakfast. Or just add the rum. Shhhh. I won’t tell.
Piña Colada Mocktails
- 1 1/2 cup frozen pineapple cubes
- 1 cup coconut water ice cubes from about 16 oz of coconut water
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- maraschino cherry syrup for swirling if desired
- fresh mint for garnish
- fresh cherries for garnish
- Note: to make the coconut water ice cubes, pout the coconut water in an ice cube mold the night before and freeze!
- To make, add the frozen pineapple, coconut water ice cubes, coconut milk, cream, pineapple juice and lime juice to a blender and blend until frosty. Serve immediately, adding a swirl of maraschino cherry syrup on top if you’d like and garnishing with fresh mint and fresh cherries.
Is equally as cute in a coconut, FYI.