Pumpkin Coconut Hot Chocolate.
Is it even cold enough for this crazy beverage yet?!
Since I’ve been planning super far ahead so I can still share some delicious things once the baby arrives, I actually had this drink set for thirsty Thursday two weeks ago. Um, it was, like, 90 degrees here. Not only am I rarely a fan of hot beverages, I’m certainly not when I’m still sweating in October. NO THANKS.
Still though, all I’d like to drink is pumpkin hot chocolate. COCONUT pumpkin hot chocolate? Times ten. Yes.
But now! It’s cooled down a bit and is actually chilly in the morning. As in, chilly enough that yesterday I drank hot coffee which is very much unlike me since I will do anything and everything to stay Team Iced Coffee even when it’s snowing.
So this hot chocolate uses a pumpkin pie syrup that you will see more of when I share my Friendsgiving spread in a few weeks. It is SO good. I absolutely love it and you can utilize it in so many ways. And the hot chocolate alone is based off of my slow cooker coconut hot chocolate recipe, but I just used a saucepan because it’s not like I needed an entire slow cooker of hot chocolate in August.
Or did I?
Perhaps we all do.
This is one of those recipes that will be perfect on Halloween or during the holidays or on a weekend for game day. It’s something you can even keep on the stove for a few hours and just lightly heat on low before serving. It’s SUPER RICH.
I mean, it’s essentially like sipping chocolate and very very intense (it’s hot CHOCOLATE not hot COCOA) so you only need a small mug. It’s like a glass of dessert. You don’t even need dessert if you have this!
The base is made with coconut milk and for some extra coconutty flavor, you can totally stir in some coconut extract. And top it with coconut whipped cream! And then flaked toasted coconut, because we’re in coconut overload here.
It makes the pumpkin taste that much better. New favorite flavor combo, right here!
Pumpkin Coconut Hot Chocolate
- 1 13 ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 4 ounces high-quality semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 3 to 4 tablespoons pumpkin pie syrup
- 2 tablespoons dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract if desired
- whipped cream or coconut whipped cream for topping
- flaked coconut for topping
pumpkin pie syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the milk, chocolate, pumpkin syrup, cocoa and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk until the mixture is combined and cook until it is simmering and warm and slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and coconut extracts.
- Pour into mugs and top with toasted coconut and whipped cream.
pumpkin pie syrup
- Heat the sugar, water, pumpkin puree and pie spice in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk constantly until the sugar dissolves and let the mixture come to a simmer. Remove it from the heat and let it cool slightly, then add the vanilla extract. Strain it through a fine mesh strainer so you’re left with a syrup consistency. This can be kept in a sealed container in the fridge for a week or so!
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
Yesss I’m in love.
21 Comments on “Pumpkin Coconut Hot Chocolate.”
Since it’s 40 degrees out right now this is all I want to drink!
Well this is just glorious. And I LOVE all the pumpkins and gourds in the pictures!
Pingback: Pumpkin Hot Chocolate – Pumpkin Coconut Hot Chocolate – Chow Hub
Pingback: Pumpkin Hot Chocolate – Pumpkin Coconut Hot Chocolate – Cravings Happen
Pingback: Pumpkin Hot Chocolate – Pumpkin Coconut Hot Chocolate – recipequicks
This looks like the best combination ever!
what I want to know is when are you having baby #2 because I’m just waiting for a baby fix! LOL Max is totally winning the internet right now.. so I have no doubt new baby will be doing the same.
but in related news.. hot chocolate sounds perfect since we, too, are finally getting cool rainy weather instead of mid 70s and sunshine (which I LOVE, but I know people are ready to be cozy)
hahahaha!! any day now i am sure!
LOVE IT!! OMG it calls my name: I <3 pumpkin, <3 thick, creamy hot chocolate and <3 coconut!! Can't wait to make this this weekend (even though it's sunny and warm still, it will be a perfect dessert ;-)
thanks stella! xo
I’m all in for this hot chocolate (THE LIL MAX CUP OMG), but OMG can we talk about those heirloom pumpkins for a sec?!? Far as I’m concerned, every veggie needs an ugly stepsister. So sweet and loveable. :)
i love them so much! thanks!
Pingback: The Weekender 10/21 - Oats & Rows
Now that it’s finally cooling down, this seems like just the drink I need to try! It looks soooo yummy!
Pingback: Pumpkin Pie Cocktail - Pumpkin Pie Bourbon Smash
Pingback: Friendsgiving 2017: Pumpkin Pie Bourbon Smash. – Fruitide
The leftover hot chocolate turns into mousse overnight! It’s also really good with fresh coffee mixed in the next morning.
Pingback: It’s Getting Cold…Here are Some Fun Hot Chocolate Recipes! – The Pawprint