Banana Beer Bread with Brown Butter Glaze.
So this. Is interesting.
Beer bread. But made with bananas! Banana bread. But made with beer! So banana beer bread. Verrrry intriguing, right?
I want to eat this whole loaf right up, so yes!
I’m super into (very trashed up, very non-traditional) Octoberfest recipes because right now I’m currently in the midst of what is probably the only craving I’ve had this entire pregnancy and that’s homemade soft pretzels and beer cheese dip.
GAH. I want all those things for every meal right now. I’ve only had them once! I need them once more time before labor, right?
That really has nothing to do with this bread aside from the fact that it is beer bread and the pretzels are also bread and there is beer in the cheese I’m craving and and and… I’ll stop.
But really, that’s what I’m into these days.
This is what I’m into!
I’ve made a few different beer breads before on the blog and as I was contemplating one this year, I alllllmost went with another savory version. Like last year’s pumpkin cider bacon cheddar one. But then I was like WHAT IF. What if I did a sweeter one? A banana one?
Plus, I was already tempted because I had this Banana Bread beer in our fridge! It’s been there for, like, nine months at this point, but I mean… it was still okay. Right? RIGHT?
It was. We ate the bread and didn’t die. Woohoo!
The thing that I really like about beer bread is its dipping factor. It’s SO SO SO good dipped in soup and chilis, you know? I love that about it because it tends to be hearty and dense but flavorful and fluffy all at the same time. So I was nervous about that part when it came to the banana bread.
Here’s the key: brown butter glaze. The brown butter glaze makes up for any lack of dipping. I also think that a cinnamon butter would be AMAZING when spread on top, so there is that too. Sometimes beer bread is just so, well… bready, that is can almost occasionally verge on the dry side when you have a big mouthful. Hence the reason for dipping! And the glaze and butter.
Banana Beer Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 very ripe bananas mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces of your favorite beer
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
brown butter vanilla glaze
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk if needed
- pinch of salt
- Note: This is NOT banana bread! This is nothing like your classic banana bread recipe. This is a beer bread, with some bananas in it!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Over a large bowl, sift together the all-purpose, baking powder, cinnamon and the salt. Stir in the mashed bananas. Pour in the beer and stir until a batter forms. It will be thick. Spoon the batter in the greased loaf pan. Pour the melted butter over top. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and set in the middle. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for about 30 minutes.
- Drizzle with the brown butter vanilla glaze and slice.
brown butter vanilla glaze
- Add the butter to a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk constantly until the butter begins to bubble and as soon as brown bits start to appear in the bottom of the pan, remove it from the heat. This will take about 5 minutes. Add the brown butter to a bowl and whisk in the sugar and vanilla extract. If the mixture is too thick to drizzle, whisk in the milk if needed. Pour over the cake once it has cooled and serve!
Totally certain you have to try it!