Cranberry Swirl Crumble Muffins.
Oh my cranberries. How do I love you!
This is weird, because I haven’t always loved cranberries. But! We’re turning a corner.
I’ve made you cranberry swirl muffins! With a crumbly topping because everything is better with a crumbly topping. Well, errr… almost everything.
One of my all-time favorite muffins are these blueberry swirl ones from honestly yum. They are SO so good. And I couldn’t stop wondering how they would be with cranberries – particularly cranberry sauce that might be left over from your Thanksgiving dinner!
If you need another idea besides spreading it on sandwiches and what not… or throwing it in your coffee cake, then I’m your girl. Alllll the exclamation points included.
Make some cranberry swirl muffins with a crumbly topping and live.it.up.
We all know that crumbly toppings are the BEST part of muffins, right? I mean it’s the reason that actual muffin tops are sold alone without their muffin bottoms. They have texture and some crunch and are absolutely heaven.
The extra sauce gets swirled into the muffin batter here, along with a few extra fresh chopped cranberries. Their insides are so weird! I say that every year. I never get over it.
The tangy berries with the fluffy, cakey muffin is the best flavor balance. Not super sweet but not overly tart either. I just looooove it.
Look at this perfect swirl!
While these muffins could totally grace your Thanksgiving table come Thursday, I really love them as a breakfast or snack made the day after with the extra cranberry sauce. They can just hang out on the counter and be one of those things that you grab in between post-food coma naps and shopping and what not while you wait for another meal of leftovers.
Sounds like a plan.
Speaking of leftovers! Are you a leftover person? I really like to have one more traditional Thanksgiving meal (on a smaller scale of course) with the leftovers but after that, all bets are off. We can go the sandwich route (and we will), but I like to make a few other dishes as well.
This is spinning out of control.
See also: how to take your muffins over the top. Add some honey butter.
Is that taking it too far?
I don’t mind if it is.
Cranberry Swirl Crumble Muffins
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup leftover homemade cranberry sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup flour
- 5 tablespoons butter melted
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter, oil, yogurt, milk and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing until JUST combined (don’t over mix!), then fold in the chopped cranberries.
- Scoop the mixture into the muffin tins, filling them 3/4 of the way full. Add a tablespoon or so of leftover cranberry sauce on top of each muffin and use a toothpick or skewers to swirl the mixture on top and down into the batter. Top with the streusel mixture. Bake the muffins for 15 to 17 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Serve immediately with honey butter.
- Whisk together the sugars, salt and flour until combined. Pour in the melted butter and mix until you have the texture of wet sand. Sprinkle the streusel mixture over top of the muffins before baking.
- Stir together the butter and honey until combined.
Ooooh maybe adding some dark chocolate too.