Champagne Caramel Krispie Treats.
Before you freak out, I made these with brown rice krispies!
Brown rice krispie treats! That should allow us some wiggle room in this first week of January, right? Brown rice krispie treats should count for something.
Like a whole grain something. I mean, really.
This is my first week of January struggle that I always talk about! I want to share some delicious, healthy meals with you that we actually make and like, but I also want to give you a snacky idea for the Golden Globes this weekend.
I love watching the award shows. And the red carpet even more.
So hello, champagne caramel krispie treats!
We loooove rice krispie treats in this house. Well, Eddie and I do. I like to think we are sort of, in a way, rice krispie treat aficionados. That’s the official name, of course.
Max isn’t into them yet, which seems odd to me. Like how can he not love krispie vanilla marshmallow-ness?!
See also: this is what transpires when you have leftover champagne on New Year’s Day that must be used ASAP. And it’s like 9am. And you shouldn’t drink it.
Or should you?
This champagne caramel isn’t something super new – last year I made champagne caramel corn and it was SO good. This year, I swirled it into the rice krispie treats along with the marshmallows to hold these gorgeous squares together. You don’t have to drizzle any on top, but I did for dramatic effect. OF COURSE.
Also, can we talk about these rainbow champagne flutes? Um, I bought them in the fall for some holiday cocktails and then realize that they are essentially pointless when it comes to photos because YOU CAN’T SEE WHAT’S INSIDE.
What the heck was I thinking?
But like I could turn down a good rainbow chrome cup.
Therefore… we’ve just been using them for champagne. I figure I’ll throw some rosé in them this summer and all will be right in the world.
My apologies for giving you sugar on January 5th. But in case you want some MORE snacks for Sunday night, may I suggest this sriracha sesame popcorn? Oh my word, it’s divine. Or these champagne marshmallows with blood orange sugar. Fun fun fun.
Champagne Caramel Krispie Treats
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk to combine, then cook and stir until the mixture is bubbling. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes until it slightly thickens and is smooth. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature – it will thicken as it cools!
- This will make extra caramel sauce, so store it in the fridge!
- Line a 9x9-inch baking dish with parchment paper or spray it with nonstick spray. You can also use a 9x13 inch baking dish, the squares just won't be as thick!
- In a large pot, melt the butter over low heat. Once the butter is melted, stir in the mini marshmallows. Stir until the mixture is creamy and the marshmallows have melted. Stir in the caramel sauce until combined.
- Turn off the heat and fold in the brown rice krispies. Completely mix until all the rice cereal is mixed in. Stir in the larger marshmallows and fold them in for a few minutes - this will create larger marshmallow pockets like you see in the photos above! Press the mixture into the dish. I like to press it down with a piece of parchment paper so it gets super smooth on top and it doesn't stick to the spoon. Let them set for about an hour. Slice into squares and serve! You can also drizzle with extra caramel if you'd like or even sprinkle them with sea salt.
Marshmallow pockets should always be a thing.