Pistachio Coconut Oatmeal.
Well if this isn’t the oatmeal of my dreams, I don’t know what is.
Remember when I used to think pistachio things were just for old people?
Well, now I’m an old person. Pistachio oatmeal all the way!
Gosh, I love it so freaking much. Everything pistachio-flavored is completely fabulous. It’s my go-to flavor for all the things these days.
THEN. Go ahead and add coconut? Flaked coconut and coconut milk? Mind is blown. The creaminess, ugh. It’s absolutely wonderful.
BUT THEN again. Add a few dark chocolate chips? Oh what the heck, I don’t even know what to do with myself. It’s like dessert for me and I am sooooo not one of those people that considers “those types of things” dessert. You know? Strawberries are not dessert. Almonds are not dessert. Tea is ESPECIALLY not dessert.
Cheesecake is dessert, plain and simple.
So if I’m saying that this bowl right here is reminiscent of dessert? It must be!
I’m in full-blown oatmeal mode. Even HOT oatmeal mode, which is weird for me. I am the person who adores overnight oats. The cold ones. I see everyone ask why why why would people want to eat soggy, cold oats that sit overnight, and my response is because they are chewy! And because they are COLD!
First, I’ve been on the oatmeal train intentionally since Emilia was born since it helps with milk supply. But the real reason is that is keeps me super full and satisfied. And they hunger from nursing is intense.
However, so often oatmeal can be glue-y (ew) and super unflavorful.
My non-glue-y tip is to add salt to those oats which makes them super creamy. I know it sounds weird.
Next, for these ones, I add some ground pistachios (almost like pistachio powder!) to the mixture as it cooks. This gives it that pistachio flavor that is so much… MORE than adding chopped ones for topping.
Side bar: this pistachio powder is just the beginning of how I make the pistachio latte in The Pretty Dish! Annnnd pistachio milk, oh boy.
Also, I like to switch off on oats for breakfast and lunch! Sometimes I really crave avocado toast or eggs and toast for breakfast. So I’ll save the oatmeal for lunch, which I loooove. Hot or cold right now, I’m doing it.
Now this is all I want to eat.
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachios
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled outs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut milk plus extra for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup plus extra for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios for topping
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips/chunks
- 2 tablespoons flaked unsweetened coconut
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts for topping
- Place the pistachios in a food processor or pulse until small crumbs remain - almost like pistachio powder. You don't want it to turn to butter! Set the pistachio crumbs aside.
- Bring the water to boil. Add the oats and the salt and cinnamon and reduce the heat to a simmer. Stir in the ground pistachios. Cook, stirring often, until the oats are thick and creamy, about 10 to 15 minutes. Turn off the heat. Stir in the vanilla extract and coconut milk. Stir in the maple syrup.
- Serve the oatmeal and top with extra pistachios, flaked coconut, dark chocolate and hemp hearts.
When that chocolate gets melty though!