Silky Ginger Sweet Potato Soup.
Hugs hugs hugs for us all!
Silky sweet potato soup just SOUNDS like something I want to eat on a Monday. Another big hug in a bowl; a comforting, smooth pot of flavor that is satisfying and generally not terrible for us. I think it’s even accidentally vegan. Fantastic! Let’s chat about it.
This sweet potato soup has that melt-in-your-mouth goodness. It’s a little zingy from the fresh ginger. It’s rich from the coconut milk but also light since it’s pureed and not weighed down from any flour or cream.
The insane person in me considered adding a bit of pulled pork to my own personal bowl, but what psychotic brain would do a thing like that?
A few years ago I made a Thai curry butternut squash soup that has been a major favorite. It probably comes as no surprise that I adore all things coconut and curry! And I wanted to do something similar but not repeat the curry thing with… just sweet potatoes. They are practically the same thing anyway – I swap them all the time. You know?
So this is a sort of similar yet totally different kind of soup. Because it’s the internet and I said so!
It starts with some onions that get all caramely and sweet. This isn’t a necessary step, as without it you could easily have this soup done in about 35ish minutes. But it adds such a lovely depth of flavor – another version of sweetness that still has a savory bite, and when combined with the ginger? Oooh! Going to flavor town.
You can totally use your immersion blender here if you want. I loathe immersion blenders. I think they make a mess ALL THE TIME and they never get soup as smooth as I want it. I’ve tried all the “good ones” too! I’d rather carefully pour my soup in my favorite blender and then boom – it’s whipped and silky and perfect.
On top, I like to add a few things for crunch. Sliced green onions and then some hemp hearts, which end up adding a few good-for-us benefits! You can also do croutons like these garlic toast croutons or brown butter croutons or something else wonderfully crouton-y. I was out of GOOD bread. You know, the Ina kind of GOOD.
An extra drizzle of coconut milk or even cream here not only makes it pretty but adds one more little touch of richness! It’s super creamy and incredible and warms you to the core.
Already feeling better on this Monday!
Silky Ginger Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 sweet onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 4 cups peeled sweet potato cubes this was 2 medium sized potatoes for me
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk (I like full-fat, but light is fine!)
- 2 green onions thinly sliced for topping
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts for topping
- extra coconut milk or cream for drizzling
- Heat a large pot over medium-low heat and add the coconut oil. Stir in the onion and cook, stirring often, until it begins to caramelize and get golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the garlic, ginger, salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the sweet potato cubes. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes start soften and get a little golden too. Pour in the vegetable stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce it to a simmer, cover the pot and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, just until the sweet potatoes soften.
- Once the potatoes are fork tender, turn off the heat. Use an immersion blender or carefully pour the mixture into a regular blender (and cover the lid with a towel!), blending until pureed and smooth. Add in the coconut milk and blend again until smooth.
- Pour the mixture back into the pot. Taste it and season additionally with more salt and pepper if needed. Heat over medium-low heat until warmed through.
- Serve with a drizzle of coconut milk and a sprinkle of green onions and hemp hearts on top.
That’s a work of soup art.