Crunchy BBQ Chickpea Lettuce Wraps.
Chickpea lettuce wraps to the rescue!
These are everything I want in lunch: crunchy, crispy, tangy, flavorful and ridiculously satisfying. Like, super filling! I love love love them.
Oh and pretty easy too. I need something easy since I spend the majority of any break I take for lunch losing my brain in the internet vortex, mostly over memes of things like Mall Madness circa 1993. What a great freaking game.
First, crunchy chickpeas! I mean I talk about them all the time and they are just theeee best snack. And yes, I know there are a ton of packaged options out there now (which didn’t exist when I first started making these!) but they are so easy to make at home, I never find a reason to grab those. Unless I’m, like, in an airport or dying of hunger and need a quick not-terrible-for-me snack!
Doing it at home is just so simple though. The flavors on the chickpeas are so customizable! Which is excellent for someone like me who gets bored all the time.
And the texture is the best, especially when you’re in need of something with crunch.
I like to toss the chickpeas in a very light coating of BBQ sauce right before adding them to the wrap (because they maintain their crunch that way!) and then also layer on some avocado and radish slices. They are extra flavorful this way. Just totally want to eat them with a spoon.
Next comes some fresh chives and crumbled feta. Of course.
Seriously, what is a life without cheeeeese.
Also! On top we have this little BBQ lime crema thing that lends a richness to the wrap. Everything is better with sauce or dip, am I right?
One of my other favorite meals to make? These BBQ chicken and pineapple lettuce wraps, which totally inspired these. I wanted to make a quick vegetarian version and here we go!
And yes, when I say “quick,” I realize that roasting the chickpeas isn’t exactly super fast. You can roast them ahead of time or you don’t even really HAVE to roast them. If you are kind of “meh” about the whole crunch aspect, just toss them with some BBQ sauce and you’re good to go.
Nothing like a fun lunch to make you feel fancy!
Crunchy BBQ Chickpea Lettuce Wraps
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 head of butter lettuce or your favorite lettuce!, leaves removed
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta
- a few fresh radish slices for garnish
- lime wedges for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Place the chickpeas on a paper towel and pat the as dry as you can. Remove any loose skins.
- Put the chickpeas on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil or the oil of your choice. Sprinkle on the salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder and toss well to coat. Make sure the chickpeas are in a single layer. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, toss well and flip, then bake for about 15 to 20 minutes more. I like them super crispy!
- Remove the chickpeas and lightly toss in 1 to 2 tablespoons of BBQ sauce.
- Assemble the lettuce wraps by placing a few chickpeas in the center of the lettuce leaves. Add on the slices avocado, chives, feta and radish. Drizzle with the BBQ crema and add a spritz of lime!
BBQ lime crema
- Whisk together the ingredients until smooth! Store in a sealed container in the fridge for a few days.
And then there is always still room for cookies.