Smoky Cool Ranch Kale Dip.
This is my let’s-never-allow-summer-to-end dip.
The dip that is very much contradicting my rambles of yesterday about how I’m sooooort of ready for the autumn season. Because most of the time, I’m not!
This is our current favorite pool dip. Something you can whip up that isn’t terrible for you and something you can eat while sitting in the sun with your feet in the water. Yessss.
Confession time: I’ve never loved cool ranch Doritos.
In fact, I’ve never loved ANY flavor of Doritos. Especially the original.
When we were growing up, my brothers lived and died by Doritos. They LOVED them. I was never tempted, instead opting for regular tortilla chips or something. Maybe there was an issue with the messy hands and such. But truly, it was just the flavor that I couldn’t get behind. Totally wasn’t my thing.
Occasionally though… I was drawn in by the cool ranch vibe. A little cheesy and very ranch-y – it was weird for me because I was never a huge fan of ranch either! But those? It was like once you started, it was over.
Now I know, I know. I’ve made a bunch of dips with kale in the past. And by a bunch, I mean two. This grilled kale BLT dip is unreal. Smoky crunchy bacon. Juicy tomatoes. It’s so freaking good but it does take a little bit of work: like heating up your grill.
Waaaay back when, I made this copycat Trader Joe’s spinach and kale dip too. You guys still flip out over that and it’s an amazing dip to whip up super quickly.
Now THIS dip. Here’s why I love it. First of all, the whole kale thing. It’s a seriously easy way to get greens into your diet. The base is made with greek yogurt, so there’s that too. Basically we’re talking about a giant bowl of health right here, right now. There is a sliiiiiight spoonful of mayo. Don’t skip it! It really does add the richness that the tangy yogurt needs.
So. The kale sort of wilts into the dip. And it’s chopped and shredded so it’s not like you’re eating entire leaves of lettuce or anything. It’s just bits of greenery right in your dip. Veggies for the win! (I accidentally just type “wine” so that’s where my life is at right now.)
The spices are what MAKES this. I love a good homemade ranch seasoning and on top of that, I threw some fresh dill in too. There is nutritional yeast as well, which is what gives it an almost cheese-like flavor. IT DOES. Nutritional yeast is what I’ve used on my kale chips for years and it’s always in my pantry.
Of course you COULD just add that old-school ranch seasoning from a packet buuuut.
I say make your own. I’m all about the spices and making your own. Tastes so much better too!
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale curly or tuscan works!
- 1 1/2 cups plain greek yogurt I like 2% or full-fat
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated black pepper
- a handful of fresh dill for topping
- carrots, cucumbers, pita chips, radishes, peppers, etc
- In a bowl, whisk together the greek yogurt and mayonnaise. Add in the nutritional yeast, chives, dill, garlic powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, sea salt and black pepper. Mix and stir until combined. Fold in the kale and let the dip sit for 10 minutes before serving. You can also make it the night before! Stir in some fresh dill to serve.
- Serve with a mix of pita chips, crackers and veggies.
Annnd it still counts as eating veggies.