Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Latte.
Welcome to the world of the apple cinnamon oatmeal latte.
I know, this might be the best universe ever.
YEP. We’re doing it again! Another oatmeal latte, but this time? We’re taking it back old-school and making a flavor that I ate all the time as a kid.
P.S. be prepared for the onslaught of apple drinks and cocktails this month and next because they are just so good. I can’t stop!
So many of you have made the original latte. It’s a popular recipe here on the blog and I constantly see photos of you guys making them on Instagram! It was such a strange concept to me at first. And I think the first time anyone comes across the oatmeal latte, you’re like… HMMMM. WHAT IS THIS?
But then curiosity gets the best of you and you try it and you’re HOOKED. That’s the only way to put it. Satisfying and caffeinating. Like we need anything else in life.
(Spoiler alert: we don’t!)
If you’ve been following the blog for awhile, you know that ANY time I share any sort of oatmeal, I ramble on about my freakish love for Quaker instant oat packets. While I was quite partial to peaches and cream (and it’s more difficult to find sister, strawberries and cream), really ANY version would work in the mornings before school. My mom always bought apple cinnamon as well as maple brown sugar because they were my brothers’ faves.
And the worst part of this whole mess was that I’d even eat the oatmeal packets… DRY.
Apple cinnamon was my favorite dry version because the dried apple chunks were delish!
Weird AF, I know.
Ever since I shared the original oatmeal latte, I’ve played with flavors. I’ve really loved playing with espresso flavors too. And things can easily get too weird if you mess with the oatmeal too much (for instance, I actually didn’t like banana in it) because when it is combined with the espresso… you know.
There needs to be a limit.
Oddly enough, when I tried it with apple? UMMMM omg. It was fan-freaking-tastic. I think it’s because the apple softens but it doesn’t totally melt like the banana does. If that makes sense. It’s super flavorful and even MORE satisfying!
Topped with a little granola? I swear. It’s wonderful.
And I almost waited to share it until next week or the week after, buuuuut it’s been so gloomy and gray here, that I’ve officially deemed it “warm breakfast weather.”
Time to start here!
Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Latte
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 apple grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 or 4! shots of freshly brewed espresso
- granola pepitas or nuts for topping
- Place the oats and 1 1/2 cups of milk in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the salt and cinnamon. Stir to combine. In the meantime, froth or steam the remaining 1 cup of milk. Add about 3/4 cup of the steamed, frothed milk to the oats. Stir in the grated apple. Cook, stirring often, until the oats are super creamy and milky and the apple is softened. Remove from heat. Stir in the remaining milk. Stir in the brown sugar and vanilla extract.
- Spoon the oatmeal into two mugs equally. Top each with a shot or 2 of espresso. Finish off with some extra cinnamon and granola or nuts on top. Sip and spoon!
That’s one cozy bowl of love.