Salted Cashew Butter Buckeyes.
Cashew butter buckeyes?! I’m going there.
Somehow, I don’t have buckeyes here on the blog. It’s amazing, really, because the first year I was blogging, I’m pretty sure I shared the recipe for every single cookie that my mom and grandma have ever made. I mean, it was ridiculous.
But no buckeyes! These have been a staple my entire life, so I obviously had to go and sort of trash them up. Or, ruin them, according to my mom.
Ha. Not really. She didn’t say that. But I know she certainly thought it.
I am obviously a huge proponent of the chocolate peanut butter movement. I mean is there ANY better combination out there?
No. It’s just the best. It’s basically therapy. Delicious edible therapy.
From an early age I can remember dipping a piece of chocolate in a peanut butter jar. To this day one of my favorite snack treats (yes a snack treat, just do it) is a peanut butter spoon dipped in chocolate chips.
There is something about this combo that makes my brain go crazy. I can’t help it!
SO it’s not like I want to change the traditional buckeye. My mom has been making buckeyes since I was… well, born? Before that. I can remember helping her dip buckeyes in our first house and we moved when I was eight, so it was before that. That’s what chocolate + peanut butter does to me! Create lasting memories, I guess.
It’s major comfort food.
I wanted to do a little update. I adore cashew butter. I’ve made homemade cashew butter, cashew butter cups, cashew butter granola, cashew butter krispy treats – so many things. I knew that when coated in chocolate, these would be fantastic. Cashew butter buckeyes just sounded incredible.
And they were! The cashew butter whipped into a dough better than I expected. I used the Justin’s brand because it’s what I had on hand, but I think other brands would work too.
When I make buckeyes, I always add some coconut oil into my chocolate to help with the shell.
My mom still uses the paraffin wax and that totally freaks me out (even though a simple google tells me that edible paraffin wax is completely fine!) so I’ve found coconut oil to be a great replacement. That’s why you see it here in the recipe. I use it in anything that I coat with chocolate. It helps it set up so nicely. But! Since I know you’ll ask… if you don’t have it, it’s not 100% necessary.
While these won’t replace my chocolate + peanut butter love forever, they are such a fun, modern twist. The cashew butter is so creamy and rich. It’s delicious against the chocolate!
Might have to hide them all from myself. Probably.
Cashew Butter Buckeyes
- 1 1/2 cups creamy cashew butter
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 12 ounces high-quality dark chocolate chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- flaked sea salt for topping
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the cashew butter and butter until creamy and combined. Beat in the vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, beat in the powdered sugar. This may take a while to come together and you might even have to use your hands.
- Once the dough has come together, roll 1-inch balls and place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place the sheet in the freezer for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Melt the chopped chocolate and coconut oil in a large bowl. I just do this in the microwave - I melt in 30 seconds increments on 50% power, stirring after each increment until smooth.
- Use a toothpick or some sort of skewer, dip each cashew butter ball in the chocolate and place it back on the parchment paper. Sprinkle with the flaked salt. These stay fantastic in the fridge and the freezer! I store mine in the fridge, but they are fine at room temperature for a few days too!
This bite is perfection.