Pepperoni Roll Breakfast Strata.
I have finally joined the breakfast strata club!
This isn’t just any breakfast strata though. It’s a PEPPERONI ROLL breakfast strata.
I didn’t even know pepperoni roll strata could be a THING. A few months ago, Lacy and I were discussing things to make on Christmas morning. She said my aunt always makes a strata on Christmas morning, which I knew… but then she dropped the bomb on me.
She said that she makes the strata with PEPPERONI ROLLS.
I mean… WHAT.
That sounded like the most brilliant idea in the universe.
And also, how did I not know this? How did I not know that she used pepperoni rolls?!
For those of you asking WHAT THE HECK IS A PEPPERONI ROLL… it’s this. It’s basically pepperoni and cheese baked into fluffy bread and it is amazing. It’s so delicious, even if you never cared for pepperoni like me!
Here’s the thing.
Last year I made a strata. I made it with kale and gruyere.
And it was AWFUL.
It was so gross. It was like a soggy, spongy mess. It tasted terrible, it looked worse and it basically threw me off of strata for a good long while. It was a major disaster.
Until this idea of pepperoni roll strata came along and then I’m like OH MY GOSH OF COURSE!
We have lots of cheese, eggs, of course, peppers, onions, garlic and did I mention cheese? And pepperoni rolls? All chopped up and deliciously crunchy?
It kind of tastes like a supreme pizza!
Now the key to the strata is this…
You HAVE to make it ahead of time.
It has to have time to soak in the fridge. It’s like the tub for strata. It has to have time to come together and get all delicious and close so when we bake it, it’s golden, crunchy, egg perfection. Oh, I mean cheesy egg perfection.
Which is fantastic, because it means it’s a great dish to make for holiday brunches! Or breakfasts. Or, I guess you could even make it in the morning and have it for dinner one night?
Yes, hello, I love that idea.
Make Ahead Breakfast Strata
Pepperoni Roll Breakfast Strata
- 5 cups cubed pepperoni bread,
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 8 large eggs
- 2 ½ cups milk, I like whole or 2%
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup freshly grated provolone cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Place the pepperoni bread cubes in the dish. Stir in the peppers and onions and garlic until evenly dispersed. Stir in the chives and about three quarters of the grated cheeses, leaving a bit to sprinkle on top.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, mustard, salt, paprika, oregano and pepper together until combined. Pour the egg mixture over top of the mixture. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Cover the dish and refrigerate it overnight.
- The next morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. I like to take the dish out of the fridge about an hour before so it comes to room temperature.
- Bake the strata for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a tested inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with extra parmesan cheese. Serve immediately with your choice of condiments, like hot sauce or extra fresh herbs!
It’s the most festive thing to eat!