The Cutest Easter Snack Mix!
I’m sneaking in today to ramble on about this adorable, addictive easter snack mix!
Or should I say Easter treat mix? I mean, it’s definitely a treat and something you could have for dessert. But also a snack that you will NOT be able to stop eating.
This reminds me so much of the muddy buddies or puppy chow chex mix that you make with chocolate and cover in powdered sugar. Not because it tastes the same, and not just because both are made with Chex cereal.
But mostly because it’s one of those treat-snack hybrids that you won’t be able to keep your hands out of.
And! The funny thing is that it’s not a treat that I personally love to eat myself, but I LOVE making stuff like this for friends and family around holidays. I also love to have it at home for casual entertaining on the fly.
But it’s tricky. Because I find myself sneaking into the pantry and grabbing handful. After handful.
Whyyyyy did I have to go and get obsessed with this right now? And who would have thought that my favorite part of the whole mix? Are the Cheerios. The whole thing kind of reminds me of yogurt pretzels!
Last Easter, a friend made this mix and called it “bunny bait.” Cute, but I couldn’t really get behind the name, if for no other reason than I’m no fun. It sounded like something you’d feed bunnies… not people!
So I’ve been telling Max it is Easter bunny trail mix, and when he gives some to friends, he tells them it’s Easter Bunny TAIL mix!
Adorable and makes me howl.
Here’s why I’m obsessed with the treat mix though:
-I cover the entire thing in shredded coconut. Obviously I’m a coconut fan but adding it to this makes it more flavorful, textured, spring-like and perfect for Easter! It’s optional though, so if you hate it (like Eddie), leave it off.
-I use a mix of regular pastel m&m’s (hello, bunny cake!) and peanut butter speckled egg m&ms (!!!). They are so pretty!
-I love to add cashews when it’s mostly adults who will be eating this. But you can easily swap another nut or leave them out for kids.
-You can make this a day or two ahead of time and it’s incredible. It’s also ridiculously easy because you don’t have to bake it like traditional chex mix.
Oh how I love a good trashed up treat.
Easter Snack Mix
- 3 cups white chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 cups multigrain Cheerios
- 4 cups rice Chex cereal
- 2 cups pretzel sticks
- 1 cup roasted cashews, optional
- 1 9 ounce bag peanut butter m&m eggs
- 1 cup pastel milk chocolate m&m’s
- ½ cup shredded, sweetened coconut
- extra white chocolate chips, for topping
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the white chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each, until the chocolate is melted.
- Note: if you don’t have coconut oil, you can leave it out. I find that it makes the white chocolate firm up a bit more, but it’s not 100% necessary!
- Mix the Cherrios, Chex, pretzel sticks and cashews on the baking sheet. Toss them gently. Add on half of each version of m&m’s. Drizzle the mixture all over with the white chocolate. Use a spatula or large spoon to gently (and somewhat quickly) toss the mix together, until all of the pieces are coated. Sprinkle in the remaining m&m’s and gently toss once more. If desired, sprinkle the entire sheet with the shredded coconut. You can also sprinkle on more white chocolate chips if you wish!
- Let the mixture set for 20 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl or jar that you can cover or a resalable plastic bag. You can definitely make this a day or two ahead of time!
Just going to face plant into that.