Chipotle Caramel Chex Mix.
There might not even be words for how delicious this chex mix recipe is.
OH MY GOSH YOU GUYS. This chipotle caramel chex mix recipe is life. I have been waiting weeks to share this with you and every single day until now when I was prepping my blog posts, I’d think that I should swap it out for this recipe.
Finally! I am telling you about it.
Holy flavor explosion.
It’s all about sweet heat. This flavor combo is unreal. Trust me, I have made this SIX times in the last two months. And I just bought the ingredients again last week to make it for Christmas.
Even Eddie is losing his mind over it. He isn’t really into chex mix either. I mean, he likes pretzels and chips and stuff occasionally, but when I have a weak moment buy a bag of cheddar chex mix or something (I mean, it tastes like my youth, more specifically Saturday nights watching Snick) he rarely bites. Pun intended.
And if I make a chex mix recipe at home? He’s usually like… whatever.
WELL NOT HERE. He has devoured sheet pans of this stuff.
The ingredients are simple! We don’t use an ACTUAL caramel sauce because it would clump everything together and make this much less chex mix-like. Instead, I made a mix using sugar and light corn syrup and some other delicious add-ins. Not only does it taste like heaven, it makes your kitchen smell incredible too.
This isn’t my first foray into homemade snack mix, but this is the first I’ve made where it’s sweet AND salty! And a bit spicy. I used regular old chex mix ingredients in here, but I certainly think that the addition of cheese crackers or other nuts or whatever the heck you’d like would be perfection.
Just want to eat this forever. Okay bye.
Chex Mix Recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups rice chex cereal
- 4 cups corn chex cereal
- 2 cups mini pretzels
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 cup cashews
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the butter, corn syrup, sugar, chipotle pepper and smoked paprika in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second incredible, stirring after each, until the butter is melted and the mixture combines. Stir it well so it looks caramely.
- Place the chex cereal, pretzels, peanuts and cashews in a large bowl. Pour the caramel mixture over top and toss well to combine, even using your hands if needed. You want ALL pieces coated!
- Spread the chex on two baking sheets evenly. Bake for 60 minutes, tossing well every 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and toss the mixture every 10 minutes or so until it cools so it doesn't all clump together. Store in a ziplock bag or sealed container.
Looook at that caramel! And that crunch!