Grilled Guacamole with Cotija Cheese.
But does the world really need ONE more guacamole recipe? Even if it’s grilled guacamole?
Because it’s totally time to grill your guacamole. So the world does.
Well, not grill your ACTUAL guacamole. But grill your ingredients before making guacamole. Who’s in?
Raise your margarita!
Okay! So this is one of my favorite weeks out of the entire year. The celebrations of the Kentucky Derby and Cinco de Mayo usually fall on the same weekend and that means ALL the food. And a combination of a bunch of my favorite foods. So the week leading up to these delicious days, it’s time to eat all the pimento cheese, make margs and mint juleps and apparently… grill you guacamole.
I’m semi-sad to say that this is a pretty basic guac recipe for me. It doesn’t contain anything wild and crazy like bacon and pineapple. We have avocados, red onion, lots of lime, a little jalapeno. I like to finish it off with cotija cheese because I adore it.
It’s my go-to guac, minus the whole grilling part which mostly happens on a special occasion or when I have time. At first, I tested this recipe because I was making a bunch of new recipes to for this new grill. And then… we fell in love with it. It’s a smoky guac that is great to make if you’re already utilizing the grill. I’ve found myself wanting to make it even when I’m not using the grill.
Because the flavor is top notch. Seriously.
It’s also easy, as guac is. I love me an embarrassing easy recipe, as you know.
But it’s def a little more high maintenance that un-grilled guac, because of, err… well, the grill! So use your time wisely. I only make this version if my grill is hot and ready and cooking something I’m about to shove in a taco.
(aka, everything. What don’t I shove in a taco?)
Next up, I want to try some grilled mango in this guacamole! It would give it even more of that smoky charred flavor but with the added sweetness and I’m always pro anything lightly sweet in my guac. I think we know that I’m not necessarily a guacamole purist all the time. Hmmmm.
So who is in? Might be time to grill limes for the margarita too.
- 4 avocados, sliced in half
- ½ red onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 limes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup crumbled cotija cheese
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat for at least 15 minutes. Brush or spritz the avocado halves, onion and peppers with olive oil. Place everything on the grill – make sure the avocados, onion and limes cut-side down. Grill for 8 to 10 minutes, until grill marks appear. Be sure to continuously turn the jalapenos so the skin gets charred all over. Remove the veggies from the grill and let them cool.
- Scoop out the avocado and chop it. Peel the jalapenos and remove the seeds, then dice it. Dice the onion – you might not use it all, it’s up to you. It’s easier to grill when kept in half though, so be sure to grill it all. You can add about 3 tablespoons of the diced onion to the guacamole and keep the rest for another dish or recipe.
- Combine the avocado, diced onion and peppers, cilantro, juice of 2 limes, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mash it with a fork until it reaches the desired consistency – chunky or smooth! Stir in the cotija cheese, leaving a bit for topping. Serve immediately!
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
Margarita Monday tonight people! Just for this.
14 Comments on “Grilled Guacamole with Cotija Cheese.”
No such thing as too much guac (or cheese). Fight me on that ;)
Pingback: Grilled Guacamole - Grilled Guacamole with Cotija Cheese - Kitchenpedia.co
Pingback: Grilled Guacamole with Cotija Cheese. – SpecialSlice.info
The world can never have enough guac recipes
haha this is true!
Yes to margs on a Monday! And a big bowl of this all to myself? Yes.
Pingback: Grilled Guacamole – Grilled Guacamole with Cotija Cheese – Chow Hub
This is so weird! I was in FL last week and at a restaurant that had a grilled avocado appetizer that I knew I would have to recreate. This is very similar! Avocado grilled with Cajun blackening seasoning and topped with a corn/black bean salsa, cojita cheese, and lime crema. Soooo yummy!
um that sounds amazing, now i need to go add all of that to my guac!
really nice tweak, great new flavor addition to the fairly mild avo flavors, kinda reminds me of the grilled peppers in salsa verde, thank you
Pingback: Best Barbecue Side Dishes – Wife + Mom Zone
Pingback: Tacos and Margaritas - 25 Taco and Margarita Recipes