20 Minute Summer Squash Pasta with Brown Butter & Goat Cheese.
Who is ready for all the squash?! Summer squash pasta skillet coming right up.
I mean, I’ve never met a 20 minute pasta that I didn’t like.
Can you believe it’s July 15? If you’re anything like me, then you count the months of summer to be June, July and August, and that means that July 15 is right smack in the center of the summer. Is today the mid-point of our summer? I feel like it is, even though the dates don’t exxxxactly line up. But it means that summer produce is about to peak and everything tastes so darn good.
It was tricky to leave all the other summer goods (corn! tomatoes! more herbs!) out of here. But I managed to make a flavorful dish with just a few ingredients.
So! This is summer in a skillet to me.
Truly, summer in a skillet. The flavor is awesome, it comes together quickly, you can prep it ahead of time for lunch. It’s one of those dishes that is so good and you won’t believe how simple it is!
It’s also one of those dishes that you should season to your taste. I like to keep this easy – brown butter, squash, goat cheese – all of those flavors come together to create this delicious dish. Taste it as you make it, once you finished it, right before serving. Add whatever else you think you might love, even if that means a few shavings of parmesan.
The pine nuts on top give a bit of toasty flavor along with a little crunch.
I’m having a major moment with pine nuts. I pretty much put them on everything.
Also! I’ve made other 20 minute pastas like this in the past and we adore them! You guys always seem to go crazy over them too. We have this one with marinated feta and arugula and then this one with garlic, spinach and chickpeas. They are all staples in my kitchen.
(If you new how much exclamation points I had up there before editing, you’d be giving me some major eye rolls.)
Another thing I love about this dish? It’s versatile. It’s a dish that I would make myself for dinner on a night when Eddie isn’t home. But it’s also a dish he loves, as long as it’s served… on the side. SHOCKER. On the side of chicken or steak of course.
But that’s cool, because it works for both of us. And he loves the leftovers for lunch. Basically, we all fight over the leftovers for lunch.
I’m even going to go out on a limb here and tell you that it’s good. Right out of the fridge.
Dinner is on me.
Summer Squash Pasta
Summer Squash Pasta Skillet
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the pine nuts. Toss and stir them until they are golden and fragrant, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat immediately.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Whisk it constantly until brown bits begin to form on the bottom and the butter is golden. When that happens, add the garlic and squash rounds and toss to coat, then cook for 5 minutes until the zucchini softens. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- The pasta should be finished by now, so add it to the skillet with the zucchini. Turn the heat to low. Toss the pasta and squash well, making sure everything is combined and has a bit of butter on it. Crumble in the goat cheese and toss it well. Add in another few cracks of fresh black pepper. Toss in the pine nuts.
- Stir in the fresh basil and serve immediately.
Give me all the brown butter every day.