Salted Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate.
True story: I will never turn down a mug of peanut butter hot chocolate.
Especially with peanut butter whipped cream!
It’s only the best combination in the world, you know?
Sure there are others that I frequently mention, like bread and butter, or cheese and olives, almond butter and strawberry jam.
But I don’t think many people will argue that peanut butter + chocolate is THEEEE flavor combo.
Last week I was devastated to learn that City Bakery in NYC closed. They have the most indulgent, rich hot chocolate – one that you have maybe once a year because it’s so decadent. It’s a hot chocolate that I think about all the time.
This isn’t exactly that, but it’s definitely hot CHOCOLATE. High-quality chocolate swirled into hot milk until melted and thick. OMG. I want a mug of it right now.
I obviously didn’t know the difference between hot cocoa and hot chocolate when I was a kid. (Or, frankly, in 2009 when I made a recipe called salted hot chocolate and used cocoa powder! Whomp whomp. I hate myself.)
At our house, we were a hot cocoa family – my mom would buy the boxes with single serving packets and we loved them.
But I distinctly remember sled riding with a friend at her grandma’s house, and her grandma making us hot chocolate on the stovetop. !!!!!
So chocolatey! So delicious! It was like dessert in a glass.
That’s what we have here. Chocolate melted into milk with creamy peanut butter and flaked sea salt. This recipe has both chocolate AND cocoa powder, so it’s doing double duty and it makes a mug extra flavorful.
And it’s topped with a peanut butter whipped cream, which is unsweetened so it cuts the richness of the hot chocolate perfectly.
Oh and a shower of flaked sea salt rains down on top too!
This kind of reminds me of my favorite slow cooker coconut hot chocolate, which is so decadent that you can freeze it and make a pudding-like dessert out of the leftovers. It’s like bonus hot chocolate.
And everything I want to drink on a chilly night!
Salted Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups milk (whole or coconut milk makes it the creamiest!)
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream or coconut milk/cream (for dairy free)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 8 ounces high-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- ¼ teaspoon flaked sea salt, plus more for topping
- mini marshmallows, for serving
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- Place the water, milk and cream in a saucepan over low heat. Heat until the mixture is just warm and bubbles appear around the edges. Whisk in the sugar and cocoa until they dissolve. Stir in the chocolate and peanut butter with a wooden spoon, stirring often and cooking until both are fully melted. Stir in the sea salt.
- Once melted, divide the hot chocolate between mugs. Top with the whipped cream and mini marshmallows. Sprinkle on more flaked sea salt.
- Place the cold cream in a bowl of your electric mixer. Add the peanut butter and beat the mixture on medium to high speed, until peaks form. Scoop the whipped cream into the hot chocolate!
- Note: I do not add any extra sugar to this whipped cream. The hot chocolate is already very sweet, so this cuts it nicely.
Might just curl up and nap on that whipped cream pile.