Our Favorite Skillet Seared Steak with Fries and Honey Dijon Aioli!
Steak frites! Steak frites!
I hope you don’t have plans set in stone tonight because this should definitely be your Valentine’s Day meal!
Perfectly seared steak… crispy, crunchy air fryer fries. HELLO. It’s a dream!
The steak – it is so good. If I’m making actual steaks, I almost always do filets because I’m weird about texture, and love the tenderness of them. I don’t like getting any bites of fat or gristle.
Here, we’re doing strip steaks! My favorite way to prepare these is to sear them in a cast iron skillet in butter. I know that everyone talks about sous vide and reverse searing, but I just always find myself going back to this method. For me, it’s foolproof and easy and just works. It’s also fast.
It results in super flavorful steak and it’s pretty easy to achieve the doneness level that you’re looking for. Especially after you get used to doing it!
This is how dark my kitchen is. So dark! It’s even the middle of the day in this photo. Whomp whomp.
This meal. Oh it is SUCH a treat.
I don’t make it often but it’s just SO good when I do. And we all love it, even the kids.
Okay, the fries!
We are doing air fryer fries today. I love them in the air fryer and a bunch if you have asked for the recipe, so here’s what I do. I’ve been making air fryer fries for years now, ever since I did a recipe for crate and barrel when air fryers first came out. Unlike my dislike for the instant pot, I actually do like the air fryer and think it has a time and a place!
Fries being one of the places. All of the time.
I do still soak my fries – anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. I make sure they are totally dry, then I do give them a spritz of olive oil. Place them in a single layer in the air fryer and let those babies air fry!
Once they come out, sprinkle with salt and they will be SO GOOD. So crispy and crunchy and like actual fries. The key for me is to cut the potatoes as small/thinly as I can, because this way they get extra crisp.
And do not fear! If you don’t have an air fryer or you just don’t feel like dragging it out, I have other fry options here on the blog. Right here you can find my perfect oven fries and right here you can find some legit fried fries.
We really enjoy all of these options, it just depends on the mood I’m in, how messy my kitchen is, what else I’m cooking and how much work I feel like doing. You know?!
Now doesn’t this just look like something we all deserve today? YES.
Seared Steak with Truffle Herb Fries
truffle herb fries in the air fryer
- Make sure your steaks sit out at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat - you want it hot! Season the steaks on both sides with the salt and pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the hot skillet. It will sizzle and smoke and once it’s all melted, add in the steaks. Cook for 3 minute, until deeply golden, then flip and cook for 3 minutes more. Add in the remaining butter. Once it melts, spoon it over top of the steaks for another 1 to 2 minutes. I like to cook the steaks to about 140-145 degrees (almost medium doneness or medium well). Remove the steaks and let them rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
truffle herb fries in the air fryer
- Place the sliced potatoes in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Let the potatoes sit in the water for 30 to 60 minutes. Remove the potatoes and place them on kitchen towels - you want them completely dry! Pat them as dry as you can!
- Preheat your air fryer to 375 degrees F. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and spray or brush with olive oil. Place the fries in a single layer in your air fryer (you might have to do 2 batches!). Cook for 12 minutes, then gently flip the fries and cook for 5 to 6 minutes more.
- Stir together the parsley and parmesan cheese. When the fries are done, place them on a plate or a sheet of parchment paper and sprinkle all over with the truffle salt immediately. Sprinkle with the herbs and parmesan mixture. Serve with the aioli. If you do 2 batches, or if the fries are done before the steak, you can stick these in a 200 degree F oven until ready to eat!
honey dijon aioli
- Whisk ingredients together until combined.