Baked Popcorn Chicken with Raspberry Hot Honey.
Who wants to make baked popcorn chicken with me today!
And I’m back with more hot honey too.
Hope you’re not sick of it yet. Because this version has a BIG twist.
Say hello to raspberry hot honey, which might just be your new favorite thing. You can put it on this chicken, you can put it on watermelon wedges. This is a dream.
I mean, is there anything more versatile than that? So good.
Okay but before that, let’s talk chicken. I basically use my own darn blog so I don’t have to eat boring chicken recipes. And since I started 11 years ago, I have posted a ton, and I do mean a TON, of baked crispy chicken recipes.
They are easily my favorite thing to make. Everyone loves them. They are simple. They can be used in so many different ways. Wowza.
One of the ones that you always go crazy for are these pretzel crusted chicken fingers with hot honey. So yes, this is sort of like that, but… not.
Not exactly, of course.
Here, we’re soaking our chicken nugget pieces in buttermilk (remember I used to do this alllll the time, back in the day?) and then dredging them in a mixture of flour and panko. But we’re still baking them! Using my wire rack trick, getting them extra crispy crunchy.
If you go watch on instagram later today, you can see me make these step by step!
Once the chicken is done, you can drizzle it with the hot honey or dip it in the hot honey.
And this might be my favorite variety of hot honey yet.
The raspberries add a little more sweetness that really balances out the hot peppers. They also turn the hot honey the most gorgeous shade of pink, so of course I’m here for that. OF COURSE.
This is a recipe you can make for lunch or dinner, or even as an app for a crowd. While I don’t love next-day leftovers of this chicken (Eddie does, so that’s saying something), at room temp, they do hold up well. Meaning you could make them about an hour or so before a get together and keep them warm. They will stay flavorful and crunchy! Yes!
Oh and let’s also talk about how we can make strawberry hot honey too. Or blueberry?! And blackberry, of course. I’m obsessed. Keep this stored in your fridge, drizzle it on EVERYTHING – seriously. Fish, shrimp, chicken, fruit, dessert – the options are absolutely endless.
And I’m in love.
Baked Popcorn Chicken with Raspberry Hot Honey
Popcorn Chicken with Raspberry Hot Honey
raspberry hot honey
- 4 ounces fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¾ cup honey
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
raspberry hot honey
- Place the raspberries and water in a blender and blend until pureed. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl, pressing with a back of the spoon to capture the seedless berry puree. You only need 2 to 3 tablespoons of puree!
- To make the honey, combine 2 tablespoons of the puree with the honey and sliced jalapeno in a saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring to combine. Let it cool to room temperature then use as desired - as a dip or drizzle. You can store this in the fridge for a few days!
- Place the chicken pieces in a baking dish and cover with the buttermilk. Cover the baking dish and place it in the fridge for at least 1 hour (or longer).
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a wire rack. Spray the wire rack with nonstick spray.
- Remove the chicken in buttermilk from the fridge about 15 minutes before making. Combine the flour, panko and spices on a plate with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Take each piece of chicken out of the buttermilk and place it directly into the flour panko mix, tossing to coat. Place it on the wire rack and repeat with remaining chicken. Spritz or brush the chicken with olive oil spray. This is important because it helps the chicken crisp up!!
- Bake the chicken pieces for 15 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more, until golden and crunchy.
- Remove the chicken and serve with the raspberry hot honey. You can drizzle it on or use it for dipping!
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
More crispy crunchy bites please.
19 Comments on “Baked Popcorn Chicken with Raspberry Hot Honey.”
Wonderful flavor pairings. The only thing I would change is to strain out the actual pepper slices and seeds because for us, that may be too much of the hot. The raspberries make the honey into a beautiful colored sauce – so appetizing!
I have to make this!!
OMG, raspberry hot honey??? That sounds incredible!
Pingback: Baked Popcorn Chicken with Raspberry Hot Honey – recipequicks
Pingback: 9 Bloody Brilliant Ways Businesses Are Navigating Meat Prices | What's Cooking
Pingback: Friday Faves | foodiecrush
Pingback: Freitag Faves | foodiecrush - Essen Rezepte
This raspberry hot honey would be delicious drizzled over baked Brie with roasted garlic. 😋
I’ve had so much success with your recipes but not this one. I’m a pretty good cook and as I’m taking these white, raw flour covered chicken pieces off the rack I am chiding myself knowing that flour is not going to cook without fat. These were so awful and had to fried in the pan to fix them. What did I do wrong?
I followed the recipe exactly, I never make any changes on my first go and your recipes rarely need any.
Nicole, I had the same issue. My chicken finished cooking in the 15 minutes, and had no color. I didn’t want to overcook the chicken so I did a quick pan fry to gain the color and not over cook the chicken. I might try in the air fryer next time.
hey guys! ‘m so sorry – realized that i left off a key component of the recipe – spraying the chicken with olive oil!! this is how i do all my crispy chicken recipes and it is the KEY to getting them golden and crisp. if you want to see how i make them, they are saved in my IG highlights (along with a lot of other crispy chicken with this method): https://www.instagram.com/howsweeteats/
i must have just had a brain meltdown when i wrote the recipe. so sorry!! i included it up there now. thanks for bringing it to my attention!
OK! I will try them again with the olive oil! I have so much success with your recipes so this one surprised me. My favorite so far is the Taco Stuffed Peppers.
Thanks, Jessica! I actually had done this, but the flour was still raw after 15 minutes, but the chicken was cooked. I had cooked in my convection oven, so I am not sure what went wrong! The hot honey was delicious, and once I pan fried in the oven it was delicious.
Melisa, thanks for the reply, glad to know I’m not the only one! They were SUPER crispy which was great but pan frying them takes away the benefit of baking them by adding all that oil. The raspberry hot honey was delicious.
I made with the oil and the chicken was soooo good.
I would add more heat because I like things spicy (maybe some sriracha to the honey and some cayenne to the breading? will experiment). Really yummy!
Pingback: 31 wymyślnych przepisów na samorodki kurczaka, które udowadniają, że przekąski nie są przeznaczone tylko dla dzieci – Gastrokracja
What can jalapeños be replaced with?
any other hot pepper!