Baked Popcorn Chicken with Raspberry Hot Honey.
Who wants to make baked popcorn chicken with me today!
And I’m back with more hot honey too.
Hope you’re not sick of it yet. Because this version has a BIG twist.
Say hello to raspberry hot honey, which might just be your new favorite thing. You can put it on this chicken, you can put it on watermelon wedges. This is a dream.
I mean, is there anything more versatile than that? So good.
Okay but before that, let’s talk chicken. I basically use my own darn blog so I don’t have to eat boring chicken recipes. And since I started 11 years ago, I have posted a ton, and I do mean a TON, of baked crispy chicken recipes.
They are easily my favorite thing to make. Everyone loves them. They are simple. They can be used in so many different ways. Wowza.
One of the ones that you always go crazy for are these pretzel crusted chicken fingers with hot honey. So yes, this is sort of like that, but… not.
Not exactly, of course.
Here, we’re soaking our chicken nugget pieces in buttermilk (remember I used to do this alllll the time, back in the day?) and then dredging them in a mixture of flour and panko. But we’re still baking them! Using my wire rack trick, getting them extra crispy crunchy.
If you go watch on instagram later today, you can see me make these step by step!
Once the chicken is done, you can drizzle it with the hot honey or dip it in the hot honey.
And this might be my favorite variety of hot honey yet.
The raspberries add a little more sweetness that really balances out the hot peppers. They also turn the hot honey the most gorgeous shade of pink, so of course I’m here for that. OF COURSE.
This is a recipe you can make for lunch or dinner, or even as an app for a crowd. While I don’t love next-day leftovers of this chicken (Eddie does, so that’s saying something), at room temp, they do hold up well. Meaning you could make them about an hour or so before a get together and keep them warm. They will stay flavorful and crunchy! Yes!
Oh and let’s also talk about how we can make strawberry hot honey too. Or blueberry?! And blackberry, of course. I’m obsessed. Keep this stored in your fridge, drizzle it on EVERYTHING – seriously. Fish, shrimp, chicken, fruit, dessert – the options are absolutely endless.
And I’m in love.
Baked Popcorn Chicken with Raspberry Hot Honey
- 4 ounces fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¾ cup honey
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
- Place the raspberries and water in a blender and blend until pureed. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl, pressing with a back of the spoon to capture the seedless berry puree. You only need 2 to 3 tablespoons of puree!
- To make the honey, combine 2 tablespoons of the puree with the honey and sliced jalapeno in a saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring to combine. Let it cool to room temperature then use as desired - as a dip or drizzle. You can store this in the fridge for a few days!
- Place the chicken pieces in a baking dish and cover with the buttermilk. Cover the baking dish and place it in the fridge for at least 1 hour (or longer).
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a wire rack. Spray the wire rack with nonstick spray.
Remove the chicken in buttermilk from the fridge about 15 minutes before making. Combine the flour, panko and spices on a plate with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Take each piece of chicken out of the buttermilk and place it directly into the flour panko mix, tossing to coat. Place it on the wire rack and repeat with remaining chicken. Spritz or brush the chicken with olive oil spray. This is important because it helps the chicken crisp up!!
- Bake the chicken pieces for 15 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more, until golden and crunchy.
- Remove the chicken and serve with the raspberry hot honey. You can drizzle it on or use it for dipping!
More crispy crunchy bites please.