Asiago Pizza Stuffed Shells.
These pizza stuffed shells are sponsored by Stella Cheese! I’ll be creating a few fun recipes for them throughout 2020.
I have the most PERFECT dinner for you tonight!
It’s easy. It’s delicious. Super cheesy. And a huge crowd pleaser. It comes together quickly and is perfect for a weeknight meal. Especially in the next few months when you’re getting back into somewhat of a routine – whatever that may look like!
Enter: PIZZA STUFFED SHELLS!! Oh my word. All the flavor of cheesy pizza stuffed into pasta shells and covered with pepperoni. And more cheese. Because of course.
Asiago is nuttier and smoother than parmesan. I’m partial to it because when I was growing up, it was the cheese that my mom would buy, hand grate, and serve with pizza and pasta. It’s easily one of my favorite cheeses and just so flavorful. I also find it to be incredibly versatile. While I usually only sprinkle parmesan on soup and pasta and pizza, I used Asiago cheese for that and MORE. Asiago is perfect for snacking – grab a slice with a cracker and you’re in pure heaven.
The Stella Asiago is aged for 12 months, giving it a super robust, sharp flavor.
You have to try it – it’s absolutely wonderful.
Now, if you’re looking for a top notch dinner idea to get you through the next few months – one that everyone will love, I’ve got you today. This has all the flavor of pizza stuffed into pasta shells and baked until cheesy and melty.
The filling is loaded with ricotta cheese, lots of herbs and spices and tons of freshly grated Stella Aged Asiago. It gets blanketed with marinara (use your favorite jarred version or go for homemade!), and then covered with more Asiago Cheese. I like to top mine with mini pepperoni pieces.
However! What do you love on your pizza? You can add your favorite toppings to that.
Throw on some roasted red peppers, even some mushrooms. Whatever toppings you love, add them to the top of your shells before baking.
Then we wait. And bake. And we’re rewarded with something gooey and saucy and loaded with cheese. It’s warm and comforting but comes together pretty quickly. You can also make this meal ahead of time, stick it in the fridge and bake it when you’re ready. I mean, those are the best kind, right?!
This dish freezes well too. Stuffed shells are a great meal to bring to family and friends and heck, if you just have leftovers for yourself? They reheat beautifully.
I live for good pizza, but this is a unique yet easy twist on a favorite that elevates your weeknight dinner.
Serve it with a house salad and you’ll be the happiest!
Pizza Stuffed Shells
Asiago Pizza Stuffed Shells
- 1 cup of your favorite marinara sauce
- ½ pound jumbo pasta shells, cooked (about 18 shells)
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 8 ounces Stella Aged Asiago Cheese, freshly grated
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup mini pepperoni
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Pour ½ cup of marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9x9 inch baking dish (or a 9-inch round pie plate).
- Cook the jumbo pasta shells according to the directions on the package.
- In a large bowl, stir together the ricotta cheese, egg, all but ¼ cup of the Stella Aged Asiago, all but ¼ cup of the mozzarella, the basil, oregano, salt, pepper and pepper flakes.
- Spoon the mixture into each shell. Place the shells in the baking dish on top of the marinara. Add the remaining marinara on top. Top with the remaining Stella Aged Asiago and mozzarella cheese. Top with the pepperoni.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Remove the shells from the oven and top with fresh basil and more asiago if you wish. Serve!