Butternut White Chicken Chili.
Oh how I am so in love with this butternut white chicken chili!
It feels like it’s been forever since I shared an actual weeknight dinner recipe with you! I dedicated the last two weeks to having the most delicious, classic Thanksgiving ever, whether you’re cooking for yourself or a small group or doing the virtual partay, and I’m so glad you guys enjoyed it. But here’s the thing – we still need to eat REGULAR dinner too.
I find that this time of year is when I struggle most with dinners. It works out best for us when I plan ahead and stick to our plan. That’s the key!
Obsession does not even begin to explain how much I adore this butternut white chicken chili. It’s creamy and hearty and comforting and has a slight hint of sweetness from the squash.
Oh and it comes together pretty quickly too!
It’s perfect all around.
I have a few different white chicken chili recipes in my arsenal. I have one in the Pretty Dish and another quinoa version here (you guys love that!) but this one may take the cake. It’s so satisfying. The flavor is spot on. It’s smoky and delicious. Absolute perfection when topped with a dollop of sour cream and chips!
For the beans in this chili, I go with cannellini beans. They are probably my second fave (after pinto!) but here’s the beauty of this recipe – use what beans you have on hand. This is a great pantry recipe because you can use the beans you have and an actual butternut squash lasts forever. Black, pinto, even chickpeas would work. Whatever you love and have, to make this whole cooking dinner process easier.
I also tend to use a rotisserie chicken for this. It simplifies the process and takes minutes. You can shred or chop the chicken, whichever you prefer. And bonus points if you buy your butternut squash pre-cut. It’s such a great shortcut to take.
Cumin and just a touch of smoked paprika add flavor to this chili. I like to thicken it with sour cream instead of heavy cream or milk. All you have to do is stir that in right before serving and you’re good to go!
This is such a super delicious way to make a crave-worthy seasonal chili! A big old hug in a bowl.
Butternut White Chicken Chili
Butternut White Chicken Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- kosher salt and pepper
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash, (in 1/2 to 1 inch cubes)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups shredded chicken breasts
- 2 14 ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 to 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- for topping: fresh cilantro chives, tortilla chips, sour cream
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic with a big pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Stir in the butternut squash. Add in the cumin, smoked paprika, pepper flakes and stir. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken. Add in the beans and 3 cups of the chicken stock. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the butternut squash is fork tender.
- After 10 to 15 minutes, taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed. If you’d like the soup to have more liquid, stir in the additional cup of stock. Stir in the sour cream, stirring completely until it melts in.
- Serve the chili immediately, topped with cilantro, chives and tortilla chips. You can add on some cheese if you wish!
- Leftovers of this are delicious! You might need to add in a drop of stock or water when reheating.
Give me all the chips for dipping!