Broiled Wedge Salad with Pomegranates and Pistachios.
This broiled wedge salad may be my new favorite salad!
It’s crisp and refreshing but also wildly flavorful and crunchy! There’s a ton of flavor in this simple little bite. I adore it!
Similar to a grilled salad, these broiled iceberg wedges are crunchy and charred with so much flavor. They are covered in a ginger tahini dressing, pomegranate jewel pops and tons of crunchy, buttery, salty pistachios!
Uh… sign me up!
If you have a copy of my first book, Seriously Delish, you may recognize a similar salad! I have a pomegranate chive wedges salad in that book and love it for the holiday season. It’s so festive and seasonally appropriate – plus, really pretty.
Like, really pretty.
Name that movie.
As a huge fan of traditional wedges salads, I love to put my spin on them. I’ll never give up the classic with bacon and a perfect blue cheese dressing. But other flavors can complement the wedge so well, that we may as well eat them!
Broiling the wedges gives them SO much flavor. I’ve been making grilled salads for well over a decade. I still remember the first time I had one at a restaurant – it was life changing. I love grilling romaine and kale in the summer. It just adds so much to simple lettuce.
Broiling the iceberg is similar! It chars the top of the lettuce and you get that golden brown flavor and texture. This step is everything!
Though the rest of the salad is pretty incredible too…
First up, this dressing. Oh wow. This dressing is going to be in heavy rotation at your house. You will find yourself loving it on all sorts of salads, not just this wedge.
The dressing is made with tahini and ginger, along with flavors of soy, red wine vinegar, lemon juice and garlic. It is straight up drinkable.
I like to make mine in a blender. The secret is adding in some hot water – it smoothes and thins everything out. I do this when I make my favorite tahini sauce too and it’s perfect.
The dressing MAKES this wedge salad. Truly, you could probably just eat the broiled iceberg wedges blanketed in this. It’s an awesome combo.
Next, our pomegranate arils. These should come as no surprise. I love these little pomegranate jewels! The pop of color they add, the pop of tart, juicy flavor. It’s a little sweet too. Perfection when you have a savory recipe. And they go great with the ginger in the dressing too!
Then come the buttery pistachios! Easily my favorite nut. I like to use roasted, salted ones to maximize flavor. And of course, who can resist a crunch like this on the salad.
Finally, I like to sprinkle on a few chives for extra flavor and color! Make it extra christmas-y, if that’s possible.
I just love this! Serve it as a side, or as something to have with a light dinner.
Broiled Wedge Salad with Pomegranates and Pistachios
Broiled Wedge Salad
- 1 large head of iceberg lettuce, cut into 4 wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper
- ½ cup chopped pistachios (I use roasted and salted)
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
ginger tahini dressing
- ⅓ cup tahini
- ⅓ cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ lemon juiced
- big pinch of kosher salt and pepper
- To cut the iceberg into wedges, slice off the stem and then cut the head in half. Cut each half in half again. Place the wedges on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle the wedges liberally with salt and pepper.
- Heat your broiler to the highest setting. I like to place the rack in my oven 2 rungs down from the broiler. Since the wedges are a bit tall, placing them on the highest rack causes them to burn quickly.
- Place the pan in the oven and broil for 1 to 3 minutes, watching closely the entire time. They can burn easily! Check them after 1 minute, then again after every 30 seconds.
- Remove the wedges and plate them. Drizzle with the ginger dressing. Top with the pomegranates and pistachios and chives. Serve!
ginger tahini dressing
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if necessary.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
Definitely looks a lot like Christmas.
7 Comments on “Broiled Wedge Salad with Pomegranates and Pistachios.”
This looks amazing and delicious! I’m really excited to try this out.
Made this for dinner last night!! OMG! That dressing is absolutely to die for!! I’m so glad it made more than we needed because I’m putting it on everything!
Oh my goodness, this sounds and looks incredible!
Made just the dressing last night (OMG) and drizzled it on roasted sweet potatoes. So good.
Hi there! This looks incredible and I can’t wait to make it but if I don’t have any pistachios, do you think almonds or pecans would work well as a substitute? Thank you in advance!
Delicious, easy and a pretty side dish, especially festive for the holidays.
Sensational addition to my wedge salad collection. The broiling step is brilliant, and gosh how we loved our first course last night. I use a super fine dedicated ginger rasp, and found the dressing a breeze to simply whisk, versus using the blender. Thank you Jessica for yet another of your “makeagainable” recipes.