Make-Ahead Marinated Mediterranean Chickpeas.
My marinated mediterranean chickpeas are your new lunchtime BFF.
Marinated chickpeas are one of my favorite things to prep ahead of time. They are so easy and taste fantastic (!!!) from the fridge. And they are so incredibly versatile. You can do all the things with them! Salads, bowls, wraps – everything.
They also aren’t anything new around here!
Over the years, I’ve perfected my marinated bean strategy. I’ve shared these marinated white beans and these marinated chickpeas with a panzanella salad. I also have these delish marinated chickpeas in The Pretty Dish!
And since any form of marinated beans are one of the most made recipes in my kitchen (hello, lunch!), I’ve come up with a two part system that I love.
First, I marinate the chickpeas with a bunch of things that can last a few days in the fridge without getting gross. Think roasted red peppers, sun dried tomatoes, kalamata olives. I also add in some feta because that stays great when marinated for a few days in the fridge too! So that is all step one. Make a batch, throw them in a container and store in the fridge.
When I eat these, in whatever way I may eat them, I like to add in a few more things. Ingredients that don’t stay great when marinated in the fridge. I stir in some chopped baby cucumber and some fresh parsley. Maybe even a few tomatoes if I have them on hand.
This base is all you need to make a meal happen quickly.
Now I’ll take that base and use it on salads, in quinoa or other grains, on wraps, even on toast. Mix it with other leftovers, make lettuce cups.
Or I might even just eat the beans as is with the cucumbers and herbs as a side – or even just for a quick snack if I’m hangry and in a rush.
I can’t even tell you how often I make these. I mean – all the time!
If you follow along with my weekly menus each Sunday, you probably know that I add them in for lunch often. They are such a great dish to have on hand at times, particularly during busy weeks!
The beans are so satisfying – they make meals more satisfying but also make for the perfect grab-and-go bowl if you need something fast.
And of course – you can add in anything else you love, have or want! Extra vegetables from cleaning out the fridge, maybe rotisserie chicken or leftover grilled shrimp from dinner. It’s just SO easy. I’ll even bring them out for dinner if we are having a leftover night. They even make a perfect addition to a cheese board.
Tart, briney, flavorful, everything!
Mediterranean Marinated Chickpeas
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (12 oz) jar roasted red peppers in olive oil and garlic, chopped
- 4 sun dried tomatoes marinated in oil, chopped
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1 lemon, zest freshly grated and juiced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup olive oil, preferably from the jar of roasted red peppers
- baby english cucumbers, chopped
- chopped fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, combine the chickpeas, red peppers, sun dried tomatoes, feta, olives, lemon zest, juice , pepper flakes and oregano. Stir to combine.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil. I love to use the residual olive oil from the jar of roasted red peppers (or even the sun dried tomatoes). If you don’t have enough, just use as much as you have. Or just use regular extra virgin olive oil.
- Pour the mixture over the chickpeas. Cover and refrigerate. These stay great in the fridge for about 4 days.
- These are so versatile! Every time I eat these, I like to stir in fresh cucumber and fresh parsley - as much as you wish. I will stir these in and let them sit for 5 minutes or so. Then I’ll use the chickpeas as desired - eat them as is, add them to salad, to a pita, on toast - anything!
Delish over halloumi too!