Marinated White Beans with Olive Oil Toast.
I have a new looooooove.
Even a new obsession, if you will. Shocking. I know!
I’m back again with another one of my stupidly simple recipes – one I’ve been enjoying as we finished up the last few weeks of cookbook intensity. While I’ve been cooking so many crazy things lately in the kitchen – and LOTS of them all at once – it’s been so nice to enjoy some of these reeeeeeally easy meals for lunches or mid-afternoon snacks.
Guys. I don’t even know what I’m going to do when we’re no longer photographing and making 48 recipes per week. Ooomph.
I’m no stranger to marinated beans, doing it with these chickpeas last year and falling in major love. They quickly became a staple in, well, my life. I love having them just to snack on or throw in a salad or whatever.
Beans easily rank up there as one of my favorite foods, but chickpeas aren’t my number one. Roasted chickpeas miiiiight be number one, but I don’t always think to set my oven to 425 and roast ‘em. I’m impatient to say the least.
White beans however? THE BEST. I love their creaminess. They are hearty and comforting but light at the same time. And they go with SO many different flavors.
Yes you heard that. They go with all the things.
I didn’t stray much from my original marinated chickpea recipe. But here, I added a lot of feta, some chopped roasted red peppers and a few diced sun dried tomatoes. Lots of lemon juice! Tons of herbs, some seasoning and lots of olive oil.
Speaking of! I love taking some hearty bread and toast it in a skillet with olive oil. It gets so golden and crunchy and gives you the perfect vehicle for eating the white beans. The combo is embarrassingly easy, but it’s SO good that I can’t keep it hidden.
I love it when I find a lunch that tastes so good and comes together in minutes. Because a lot of times I don’t even realize I’m hungry until I start digging into an open cereal box.
I thought this was the most perfect recipe to bring the first day of Spring. OH my GOSH. It felt like winter lasted forever, so I could not be happier to switch over to a new season. I’m envisioning packing these beans into little jars and grabbing a crusty baguette, lots of cheese, some fruit and picnic blanket for the most perfect outdoor happy hour.
And wine! I mean, it’s definitely rosé season now, right?
Marinated White Beans with Olive Oil Toast
- 2 15 ounce cans white beans (great northern/cannelllini), drained and rinsed
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun dried tomatoes
olive oil toasts
- your favorite italian bread
- high quality extra virgin olive oil
- Place the beans in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, herbs, honey, garlic, oregano salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Pour over the beans. Stir in the feta cheese, red peppers and tomatoes. Cover the bowl in plastic wrap and stick it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. It will have the most flavor that way – but you can obviously eat it right away!
- To make the olive oil toasts, drizzle your favorite bread with olive oil – liberally! Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the bread to the skillet once hot. Toast until each side is golden brown and crunchy. Serve the beans on top of the toasts!
Yesssss this is totally a meal.