1. This cheesy olive pizza is my dream and it’s not just pregnancy cravings. Give me all the tart and briney things.
2. Pretty sure one of my goals this year was to meditate and I have failed miserably. Yes I even have all the apps. I need all the tips you can give me because I’d like to get into a regular routine of meditating, especially before giving birth. I’m hoping it will allow me to be less of a lunatic. Ha.
3. There’s always enough time!
4. I know I’ve mentioned this in previous weeks but I have literally forgot how to dress myself since the pandemic. Throw in being pregnant and I’m just like whaaaat? how? leggings? great.
5. I haven’t been worried about the whole “re-entry” thing into the real world so much, but! Now I’m like wait, how did we all get ready and have everything ready to go and be at this certain place at the right time?
6. See also: I’m the person that is so early all the time that it never fails I’ll spend 15 minutes either driving around or sitting in my car because I’m that early. It’s a sickness.
7. TV things!! I actually did SORT OF start to get back into a Million Little Things last week! Kind of reminded me of an older episode. I also really liked This Is Us!
8. On taking the long view of parenting. I love this!
9. Throw some of your favorite podcasts at me! I need some new ones to listen to.
10. Over the weekend I read Abby Jimenez’s new book (her last book inspired me to start the book club!) and oh my gosh, it was so good. I can’t get over how much I loved it. A must read.
22 Comments on “Tuesday Things.”
As for podcasts, I love Even The Rich. It’s two young women recapping some of history’s biggest stories, scandals, and celebs. Everything from The Kennedys to the Kardashians. The hosts are really funny while also telling great stories!
oh wow, this is one i’ve never listened to! thanks!!
Joy + Claire is really good! It just sounds like your having a conversation with your best friends
OC Swingers is pretty good too and of course any NPR podcast 🙂
For meditating (it’s not my cup of tea but my husband is active) making the time for it is huge- having the consistent time every day builds into your routine, get comfortable with being uncomfortable and start slow. He uses an app but puts his phone across the room (puts on airplane mode) and uses wireless air buds so he’s not tempted to scroll- really helps stay in the moment. there’s also the mantra that if you don’t have 5 minutes to mediate- meditate for 10.
Yes, how are we going to get ourselves and our families ready and out the door for anything?! I got my hair cut in September and now I don’t even know how long it takes to style it, we’re def going to be more than 15 minutes early and I’ll be getting up at like 6 for a 3:00 event! Also pregnant, and had my last baby in March, so I have nothing weather appropriate, yikes!
– mob queens and the dream are shorter series that were so fascinating
– add to cart and gee thanks, just bought it are shopping related
-spectacle is about the history of reality tv and is so good!
– from the front porch is about books!
– groceries (on the attitudes channel) is hilarious and entertaining and literally about grocery stores!
– Ologies is about science related topics but not boring at all
– scam goddess is so good, you can pick up at any time (the episodes stand alone) and also very entertaining
For podcasts, I have to recommend my own — Paige Talks Wellness! I cover a whole bunch of different topics. :)
And I totally feel ya with being chronically early. My friends actually make fun of me at this point! But it’s okay, better that than late!
My favorite podcast is Crime Junkie — SO GOOD. And I’m with you on the re-entry thing. Not sure how I got myself and my child (and let’s be honest, my husband) ready every morning and got my son to daycare then myself to work by 8:30am, got home by 5:45pm, made dinner, did the nighttime routine, then got up the next morning to do it all over again — did I sleep? I REALLY like this working from home thing!
PS LOVE LOVE LOVE this blog and all your recipes!!
The Popcast with Knox and Jamie is the best podcast! Makes me laugh every time!
And YESSS on the “re-entry” thing…i became a mom in the pandemic and I have literally NO clue how you parents do this thing called “going out.” Now me and my people are vaccinated, I need to learn sooner rather than later! haha.
Have a great week!
Why Mommy Drinks is a great podcast – cracks me up every week and I don’t even have kids (yet). It’s about a time when parenthood has broken them and it’s so funny and heartfelt.
I’m also pregnant and have enjoyed the Podcast Happy Mum Happy Baby,
Who Weekly for funny celeb gossip
At Home with Lily and Anna , two blogger friends chatting about fun topics
I just started working from home permanently and am starting to meditate again during times I would have been commuting. Hoping to create that habit again. Totally get you about being early! My parents were always the first anywhere and I picked that up too!
Not sure what topics you like, but my favourite podcasts are Happier With Gretchen Rubin (author of The Happiness Project) and History of the 90’s (there are episodes about Friends, Beanie Babies, Princess Diana, BOYBANDS!!! 🤩 Your 90’s loving heart will appreciate it). I’m also currently listening to the Seeing White Series from Scene On Radio to learn more about racial injustice. Oh and Office Ladies features the actresses that played Angela and Pam talking about each episode of The Office.
As for meditating. Start aiming for 5 minutes a day. I love that the Calm app has a calendar that checks off every day you meditate and will keep track of your streaks. Also, you could try pairing it with something you already do. I’m more likely to get my meditation in if I can do it right after I’ve done yoga. Another thing I found when starting out was that it was easier for me to mediate at night before bed although a lot of the stuff I read about meditating said to do it in the morning. The time of day that works best is the time of day it actually gets done 😉
So during my last pregnancy I started listening to a hypnobirthing app at bedtime. I wasn’t doing it to try to have a natural childbirth or anything, and wasn’t a huge believer in the idea of it, but I’d been told that listening to it really helped with anxiety and sleep. On that front, they were correct. I swear to you, I would put this on at night when I was laying in bed and it would put me out in minutes. I’m not sure I ever actually heard one to the end, but my sleep was AMAZING. It was worth doing it every night just for the sleep. I downloaded some app with an australian woman on it. Just used the free meditations available.
Other than that, I have never been able to get into meditation as much as I want to or try.
My new podcast fave is The Villain Was Right – so funny and, honestly, has changed my perspective on some movies lol. The Wandavision and Princess Diaries episodes are excellent!
The podcast You’re Wrong About is great. I actually got into it through the Jessica Simpson episodes (they discuss her book), which surprised me because I’m not emotionally invested in her. They cover tons of other topics, and I’ve enjoyed them all so far!
Happier with Gretchen Rubin is SO GOOD! My fave podcast for sure. Her happiness hacks and tricks are manageable for the average person. My life has changed for the better since I’ve started listening to it! She really focuses on small habits that make a big difference.
i am having such a hard time shedding my quarantine weight. its just crazy and it makes it so hard to get dressed and simply just not fun.
i am definitely one of those people with re-entry worry. i personally dont want to go back to the same old normal and i feel like im in the minority.
i am never early and i also cant seem to meditate consistently so cant help you there !
Second that leggings comment! I wear them maybe 6 days a week? OK maybe 7. Loving Betches Moms new podcast
This Pizza sounds amazing, BUT you shouldn’t be having so much sodium, ‘especially’ when you’re pregnant!
considering this is my 3rd (healthy) pregnancy, pretty sure i know what to eat! no need for concern.
Favorite podcasts: the Happier podcast with Gretchen Rubin and her sister Elizabeth Craft. Awesome, so fun to listen to!! Also, the Big Boo Cast, Home Cooking with Samin Nosrat, Office Ladies (The Office re-watch podcast).
Congratulations Jessica, on your 3rd healthy pregnancy! I have 4 children, & am presently expecting our 5th. It’s a well known fact that sodium intake should be largely limited during pregnancy, so I’m ‘just sayin’… I’m sure you know what you CAN eat, but the question is SHOULD you?! Nevertheless, I’m sure you know it all.
Have you tried the Off Menu podcast? Two comedians interview a range of people about their dream meal. It’s silly for sure, but there are a lot of amazing food stories. One to listen to without the kids.