Avocado Chicken Salad with Chipotle and Lime. AKA, What To Make For Lunch Today!
Avocado chicken salad is on tap for today!
I’m still on a mission to arm myself with as many delicious lunches that I can! Bonus points if they are make-ahead and ready in the fridge for me when I’m starving come noon.
Pass all the crunchy crackers, please.
This avocado chicken salad is another great option to have during the week. Of course, you could eat it for breakfast or dinner too. You do you.
I just love it for lunch.
Speaking of lunch, are you still working at home right now or heading back to the office? I love this recipe for both situations: it lasts, you can throw it together the night before and it’s basically a pantry meal if you grab a rotisserie chicken and a bag of pita chips.
Now, I have made chicken and egg salad with the avocado as a binder in the past. Like, mash it up and use it with the wet ingredients to bring everything together. I really love that too, it just doesn’t last as long in the fridge.
Chicken salad is one of those dishes I like to prep ahead so I have it for a few days. My current favorite way to enjoy it is on super crunchy crackers. So if it’s prepped ahead, I know it’s in the fridge and makes for a wonderful snack or lunch.
This is another version of that, and it may just be my favorite one yet. I used the base for my summer chicken salad (aka, the best one ever) and instead of using lemon, used lime. And some diced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. This adds the perfect amount of spice, especially if you have it with tortilla chips or crackers!
I like to make that base above and store it in the fridge. Much like my make-ahead marinated chickpeas. This is our base! But then…
Go ahead and add a few more delicious things.
Or, at least one more delicious thing.
I stir in perfectly ripe, chopped avocado. OMG. This is soooo incredible – the big chunks of buttery avocado add so much to the chicken salad. Some of the avocado gets mashed by design, it just happens when you mix it all in. But most of it stays in chunks once it is folded into the chicken mixture.
For this reason, I like to add just enough avocado for the meal. It stays fresher this way too. But don’t despair! If you end up with a bit leftover in the chicken salad, it’s really fine and should last a day or so. It may brown a bit, but it’s still totally edible.
As I’ve rambled before, I am NOT a chicken salad person. I’m not an anything mayo-based salad person unless I am making it at home. I need to be in control of the dressing on the salad, and this right here is the perfect consistency. Not too wet at all. Not swimming in yogurt and mayo.
It’s just ideal for throwing on sourdough, wrapping in a lettuce cup or even serving on a cheeseboard!
Great staple to have in the fridge, always.
Avocado Chicken Salad
Avocado Chicken Salad with Chipotle and Lime
- 1 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 diced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce, from the can of chipotles
- 1 ½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 avocado, chopped
- pickled onions, for topping
- Place the chicken in a large bowl with the green onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mayo, chipotle, adobo sauce, lime juice and zest with a big pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken mixture and toss well. Combine and stir until every bit is covered. Taste and season with more salt and pepper as needed.
- This mixture stays great in the fridge for a few days if you make it ahead! Right before serving, stir in 1 chopped avocado.
- Serve with toast, on crackers or chips, in lettuce cups or on salads. I love to serve with pickled onions on top for even more crunch!
Plus who doesn’t love hot pink toppings?!