Marinated Tomato BLATs.
These marinated tomato BLTs are fantastic! Made with marinated tomatoes, crispy bacon, sourdough and avocado, they are a summer dream dinner! Marinating the tomatoes takes this to the next level and it’s a must-try for your garden tomatoes!
How perfect is this lunch bite?!
Everything I want to eat right now is right up there in that sandwich. Oh my heavens.
I was hooked. Instantly. I didn’t know exactly what she was marinating the tomatoes in, but I got ingredients figured a way to make the sandwich the next day!
OMG, let’s just say it is life changing. Pretty much puts my lobster BLT to shame.
Yes yes yes.
Just look at these tomatoes? The marinade is so tangy and rich. It brings life into these tomatoes, regardless of how perfect they may be right out of your garden.
For my marinade, I used a simple olive oil and balsamic combo. If you’re in a pinch or want to make this on vacation or something, you could even marinate these in your favorite bottled italian or balsamic dressing. The key is just to marinate them in something you love!
Seriously, after I saw Rachel make these, I knew they’d be my go-to summer dinner. I have her to thank for this delicious idea that has been holding me over postpartum and basically, feeding my family. After I made them multiple times on instagram, so many of you reached out about how I marinating the tomatoes, that I had to share!
You can’t go one more summer day without these.
I went the BLT route for the tomatoes but of course, I also had to go the BLAT route. All I could think of was my favorite sandwich on our northern michigan vacation – it’s a BLAT from a local sandwich shop and is absolute perfection.
The sourdough is toasty but not too crunchy. The avocado is creamy, the bacon is crispy. It has mayo and maybe even a little dressing?
Either way, it’s soooo good and I get at least one every year on vacation.
That made it simple for me: I knew I wanted to add avocado! I also did a thin layer of mayo. My favorite sourdough, toasted of course!
Oh! And the other key that a few of you suggested on instagram?! Drizzle the extra marinade from the tomatoes onto the bread. It makes for one messy, but seriously delicious sandwich that you won’t be able to stop eating.
I can’t even express how GOOD this is. I will never eat a BLT another way again.
You don’t need things to be fancy – you can easily skip the avocado. But this classic combo of bacon and lettuce and (now marinated) tomatoes is one I won’t be letting go of anytime soon.
This is the epitome of summer!
Marinated Tomato BLTs
Marinated Tomato BLATs
- 2 homegrown tomatoes, sliced
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried italian seasoning
- 8 sliced bacon
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- red or green leaf lettuce, as many pieces as you'd like
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced, sprinkled with salt and pepper
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- Slice the tomatoes and place them in a 9x13 baking dish. In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic and seasoning until combined. Pour it over the tomatoes. Cover the dish and stick the tomatoes in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or even longer. I flip the tomato slices a few times while marinating!
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until it’s crispy and the fat is rendered.
- To assemble the sandwiches, toast your sourdough bread. If you like, you can drizzle a bit of the tomato marinade on the bread! This makes for a messier but DELICIOUS sandwich. Spread one or both bread slices with mayonnaise. Add on your lettuce. Top with a few of the marinated tomato slices. Top with the bacon and avocado slices. Finish with the remaining sourdough and serve!