The Perfect Pickled Veggie Sandwich with Scallion Cream Cheese.
This pickled veggie sandwich is my new favorite lunch! Smashed together with garlic scallion cream cheese, greens and the perfect bread, bun or roll, it’s so flavorful and very filling.
Never did I ever think I’d love vegetables so much!
This pickled veggie sandwich is SO good. It’s deliciously tart and briney, layered with garlic scallion cream cheese and greens on two slabs of GOOD bread.
It’s changing the lunch game for me.
I’ve made a cauliflower sandwich before, but these pickled vegetables are taking things to the next level.
Sometimes I look at this amazing sandwich and can’t believe how much I love it. A decade ago I never would have enjoyed something like this, but now I crave it. Learning to cook and love vegetables has been a godsend for me.
This sandwich is inspired by one from a local bakery. We first had it over the summer and oh my word, it was so good. Granted I was about two weeks post-giving birth and the hungriest I’ve ever been, but it was incredible.
The veggies kind of reminded me of giardiniera, but I don’t think they’d considered them to be giardiniera. It was mostly pickled cauliflower and carrots.
And the cream cheese! Oh the cream cheese.
I still don’t love raw vegetables and I wouldn’t choose a sandwich with raw vegetables. BUT!
The quick pickling situation here tenderizes them perfectly. They have a big of crunch but are nicely softened.
This does take a little bit of prep work to come together.
First, the pickled veggies! They need to sit for about an hour to taste fantastic – and any longer, they taste incredible. They will last about a week in the fridge, but not longer than that since I don’t traditionally can them.
Actually, they will barely last a week because they are so freaking good, you’ll want to eat them right out of the jar.
Seriously, if you’re into pickled and briney and tart things like I am, you will LOVE THESE. I’ve done pickled onions a ton and pickled cabbage but these are truly heaven. I am obsessed. And I don’t love raw cauliflower so this really makes a huge difference!
Like I mentioned, I like to do a mix of cauliflower and carrots. The bakery near us also uses celery but um, you know how I feel about celery. No can do. I like to add jalapeños because they add the tiniest but of spice – it’s not super spicy or overwhelming though. It’s actually more jalapeño flavor than spice!
You could also toss a few onions into that same jar if you wish. I always have pickled onions in my fridge – if you have a copy of Everyday Dinners you know that they are a major fridge staple for me.
Let’s talk about the scallion garlic cream cheese! It is SO delish. I like to make this ahead of time so it sits and gets extra extra extra flavorful. Oh man, I mean you can use this on all.the.things.
As for the greens – arugula is usually my first choice, but I’ve had so much trouble finding it lately. I can usually find microgreens and we really love those too. You could also even layer on some fresh basil.
And finally, the bread. I used ciabatta here but feel free to use your favorite variety. It should be a sturdier, heartier bread, because the veggies need something to hold up to them.
I can’t even explain how delicious this is! TRY IT!
Pickled Veggie Sandwich
Pickled Veggie Sandwich with Scallion Cream Cheese
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- ⅔ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- ciabatta bread, or your favorite bread or baguettes, for sandwiches
- arugula, spring greens or microgreens for topping
- pickled onions, optional
scallion garlic cream cheese
- 1 8 ounce block cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sliced scallions
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- salt and pepper
- Note: this recipe can make a few big sandwiches or maybe small sandwiches - it depends on how many veggies you like on your sandwich. I find that the pickled vegetables here make 4 to 6 single-serving sandwiches. Use as much cream cheese as you’d like!
- Place the cauliflower, garlic clove (I leave it whole), carrots and jalapeños in a large mason jar or glass bowl.
- Combine the vinegars, water, sugar, salt and coriander seeds in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is boiling. Turn off the heat and pour the hot mixture over the cauliflower in the jar or bowl. I let mine sit at room temperature for 1 hour, then I refrigerate. It can be used after 1 hour and is delicious. It gets more delicious the longer it sits. This lasts for about a week in the fridge.
- When you’re ready to make your sandwich, spread both insides of the bread with the cream cheese. Top with the pickled vegetables. Top with a handful of greens, like arugula or microgreens. Top with the other bread slice. Enjoy!
scallion garlic cream cheese
- Mix together the ingredients until combined. This stays good in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Just add chips.