Salted Peanut Butter and Jelly Rice Krispy Treats.
Hello snack time! These peanut butter and jelly rice krispy treats are a fun twist on the original snack and one we love so much. Made with freeze dried strawberries and flaky salt, you won’t want to pass this one up!
As if I needed a reason to love rice krispy treats even more…
Is it possible to make a perfect treat more… perfect?! We’re going to try!
These salted peanut and jelly rice krispy treats are the quintessential snack time treat and can’t be passed up.
My salted peanut butter rice krispy treats are one of the most loved treats here on the website. I can’t explain how much we adore them too. They are so chewy, so crispy, so rich and light at the same time.
So I knew that making a PB & J version would be a huge hit. And super easy too!
Of course, we aren’t using actual jam or jelly.
To get the whole peanut butter and jelly feel, we’re adding fruit in the form of freeze dried strawberries. But you could also do raspberries, blueberries – basically any fruit you love.
Now inquiring minds must know: what jelly do you like with your PB & J?! I am strictly a strawberry girl. My sister-in-law uses raspberry preserves and I like that too.
But I will tell you what I am not: a grape girl. Noooo way.
I think I ate peanut butter and jelly in kindergarten almost every day. My mom made it with grape jelly – it’s still what she buys today and how she made it for my brothers our entire childhood. But after the kindergarten overload of said sandwich for me, I took a verrrrrry long hiatus from the classic. We’re talking like ten years or so. I just couldn’t do it!
When I finally picked the PB&J back up, I didn’t want grape. I only wanted strawberry and it’s been like that ever since. Strawberry is my #1, so I had to go with it for this peanut butter and jelly twist.
These are so delicious!
Making them is super simple. I use my peanut butter rice krispy treats recipe, stir the crushed freeze dried strawberries into half of the mixture, then layer them. As you press them into a dish, the strawberry flavor does mesh into most of the peanut butter, but in some of the photos you can see how it’s layered.
I absolutely love the combo like this! You get bites of peanut butter mixed with bites of tangy berry and it really does resemble PB & J.
There are a few nonnegotiables I love to stick to when I’m making my rice krispy treats. First, always brown the butter. I do this 99% of the time, as long as I actually have the time. It makes a huge difference. The depth of flavor is much stronger and the squares have a wonderful caramelly taste.
Next, is to stir in a few whole mini marshmallows for that extra marshmallow-y chew. Just a few! Make sure they get evenly dispersed throughout the dish.
I also like to use a smaller dish when I can. A smaller dish equals thicker, fatter rice krispy treats. Which equals more crispy chewiness and a lot more texture. They are fabulous this way.
These are the perfect back-to-school treat! I first started making them last fall but wanted to wait to share until it was just the start of the school year. These scream fun to me and would be perfect in a lunchbox or after school.
Classic peanut butter and jelly in another super traditional treat – how can it get any better?!
The chewiness is what gets me the most!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Rice Krispy Treats
Peanut Butter and Jelly Rice Krispy Treats
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 20 ounces mini marshmallows, this is usually 2 bags worth
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 cups crisped rice cereal
- ⅓ cup crushed freeze dried strawberries
- flaky salt, for topping
- Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with nonstick baking spray.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Continue to cook it without stirring, watching it constantly, until brown bits begin to form on the bottom. Reduce the heat to low and stir in 15 ounces of the marshmallows. Stir in the peanut butter.
- Stir the mixture with a spatula continuously until the marshmallows and peanut butter melt completely. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour in the cereal. Stir until it’s about halfway mixed, then stir in the remaining marshmallows. Mix until the marshmallows are evenly distributed.
- Press half of the mixture into the 9x13 dish. Sprinkle the strawberry powder into the pot with the remaining rice krispy mixture, stirring to combine. Press that mixture on top of the peanut butter layer.
- Sprinkle the top with flaky salt. Let the bars set and cool for 30 minutes before cutting. Slice them as small or as large as you’d like.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
Also, when my food is pink!
3 Comments on “Salted Peanut Butter and Jelly Rice Krispy Treats.”
Made these today when I realized I had all of the ingredients in the pantry. The kids (and me) went crazy for them. Loved the texture! These will be a staple in our house!
Divine! Made this evening and omgg it was so good – I did cut the peanut butter in half though to reduce the sugar and it still had a strong peanut butter flavor profile shine through. Can’t wait to make this for family get togethers
Made this today for an after school treat. I am counting it as healthyish with the addition of peanut butter :)
The end of the school day can’t come quickly enough!