Toasted Skillet Ravioli with Lemon & Brown Butter.
The easiest toasted skillet ravioli is one of the best weeknight dinners you can make! Ravioli is toasted in brown butter then tossed with fresh lemon zest, ricotta and herbs. It’s super simple and delicious!
I am so excited to share this with you today!!
It’s a super easy ravioli skillet, where the pasta is toasted in brown butter instead of being boiled. It’s finished with lemon zest and ricotta cheese and it’s wonderful. The skillet has so much flavor and texture that you won’t believe this meal only consists of a few ingredients.
It’s reminiscent of my favorite lemon parmesan cauliflower gnocchi. Comes together super quickly and has a balanced, incredible flavor.
Plus, this crunchy ravioli texture is EVERYTHING.
If you like crispy fried ravioli, let’s just say this is the next best thing. It’s not exactly the same but it sure does hit the spot.
I’m not kidding when I say that this little dish here is so darn easy. It’s embarrassingly easy. That’s my favorite kind!
It can be a side dish for your dinner. Or it can be an easy entree when you want something light and simple.
Here’s what we’re working with today:
Brown butter, the star of the show!
Cheese ravioli, but you can always use your favorite variety.
Fresh lemon zest. A bright punch.
Herbs or microgreens – for a little refreshing pop.
Ricotta cheese! So creamy and dreamy and delicious.
I always have a package of cheese ravioli on hand just for this dish. It can’t be beat when you need something fast. And it makes for an incredible lunch too – served with a salad, it’s very light and satisfying!
It all starts with the brown butter. I let the butter bubble until it JUST starts to brown. You don’t want to go overboard here because it’s going to brown more as you toast the ravioli.
Throw uncooked (but thawed) ravioli in the butter and let it do its thing. Just let it SIT for a minute. Let it toast and get super golden and crunchy. Then flip once and let the other side get crispy and golden and crunchy. YES.
Next comes some water. A splash of water, then cover the pan. This steams the ravioli so it cooks and becomes tender. But guess what? The outside stays crispy as ever. It’s perfect.
Then I add in some freshly grated lemon zest. A sprinkle of salt and pepper if needed. A few dollops of ricotta. Some fresh herbs or microgreens and it’s DONE.
Ready to enjoy and could not be more delicious. Try it!!
Toasted Skillet Ravioli with Lemon & Brown Butter
Brown Butter and Lemon Toasted Skillet Ravioli
- Heat 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Let it bubble, turning the pan occasionally. As soon as the first brown bits appear, add the ravioli in a single layer. You want the ravioli to be uncooked, but not frozen.
- Toast the ravioli until golden on one side, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Flip the ravioli and let it get super golden and crisp on the other side.
- Add the water to the pan and cover. Let it steam for 5 to 8 minutes, until the ravioli is tender and soft.
- Remove the lid and toss the ravioli. Add in the last 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with freshly cracked black pepper. Add salt if needed - I find that I don’t really need it for this recipe!
- Add a few dollops of ricotta cheese, the zest of one lemon and fresh herbs or a handful of microgreens. Serve immediately.
Brown butter for life.