Triple Berry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake.
This triple berry coffee cake is a decadent and delicious summer breakfast! Fresh berries, a cream cheese layer and a perfect streusel topping are the stars of the show. This is a huge hit with everyone!
I’ve got your long weekend breakfast coming right up!
This red, white and blue coffee cake is studded with three different kinds of berries, a layer of cream cheese (or I like to call it cheesecake!) and a streusel that is divine. It’s a lovely little breakfast, brunch or even dessert and festive for summer while we’re at it.
That’s always a big win.
Plus, who doesn’t want to eat cake for breakfast!!!
Cue all the exclamation points.
I’m adding this to the list of my recipes for memorial day weekend – things you can make for your gatherings this weekend. And if you want them to be red, white and blue, even better.
I’ll let you in on a secret here too: you can pretty much use any fruit for this. Almost any!
I use one of our favorite coffee cake recipes for this – my blueberry peach coffee cake. It’s the perfect texture and consistency, the crumb on top is divine! So crumbly and crunchy and delicious. The cake itself is tender and light and the berries add the perfect pop for the season.
It’s also a pretty foolproof and versatile recipe. I’ve made it with all sorts of berries, the peaches, apples and more.
The base of the coffee cake is simple. I like to add a big pinch of cinnamon for that extra warmth. Then I stir in the fresh berries. You can also use frozen berries! But the fresh ones right now are super. It will just depend what season you are when you make this.
The cream cheese layer is my favorite. I like to call it “cheesecake.” It tastes SO MUCH like cheesecake to me. It’s a simple whip of softened cream cheese with a few spoonfuls of sugar. It’s cloud-like and whipped and wonderful. And it bakes up perfectly right on top of the batter!
Now, the final layer is the crumb. When you make this, it should have the consistency of sand. Then you sprinkle it all over the cream cheese layer. It bakes into the perfect streusel – so cinnamon-y and crunchy and fabulous.
You can make this ahead of time (it’s even better!), of course. It’s wonderful for a brunch gathering or holiday breakfast. Also excellent for an afternoon treat.
And can serve it with fresh berries and whipped cream if you’d like. The coffee cake alone is enough – the cream cheese layer is EVERYTHING. But a few little extras to fancy it up won’t hurt.
Serious cake heaven!
Triple Berry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Triple Berry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar + 3 tablespoons
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- ½ cup fresh raspberries
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick baking spray (the kind that has flour in it works best!).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the butter and 1 cup of sugar together until fluffy and combined, about 5 minutes. Beat in each egg 1 at a time. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Beat in half of the dry ingredients, then beat in the milk. Beat in the remaining dry ingredients, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed, until just combined. Use a spatula to stir in the berries. It’s okay if they get mashed!
- Pour the batter into the springform pan.
- Place the softened cream cheese in a bowl with the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar. Beat together until fluffy and smooth. Spread this in a layer on top of the batter.
- Make the streusel mixture and sprinkle it all over the top of the cream cheese layer.
- Bake the cake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 15 to 20 minutes, then remove the sides of the springform pan. Let cool completely before serving.
- Serve with more fresh berries if you wish and even whipped cream.
- To make the crumb topping, whisk together the sugar, cinnamon, salt and melted butter until combined. Whisk for a good minute or two until the sugar begins to dissolve, then use a wooden spoon to stir in the flour. The mixture will be crumb-like and dry. Almost like sludge or sand. This is what you want! Sprinkle the crumb on top of the cake before baking.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
I just love red, white and blue treats.
2 Comments on “Triple Berry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake.”
Hi, Jessica! I have a question. Why does the inside of your cake look so…well…brown? When I 1st saw it,I got excited, thinking it was made with whole wheat flour, but then noticed this was not the case. And there’s not enough cinnamon in that portion of the recipe, to tint the batter batter that darkness. Just curious. Thanks, and have a great long weekend!