Butternut Squash & Sausage Tortellini Soup.
This sausage squash tortellini soup is simple, satisfying and a huge crowd pleaser! Fire roasted tomatoes, butternut squash, italian sausage, kale and parmesan make this extra delicious!
I’m back with another installment of my favorite soup!
This is my go-to soup base when I need something quick, delicious and a big bowl of food that everyone will love. It starts with fire roasted tomatoes, some greens and cheese tortellini, and I switch out a few ingredients to make it different each time.
WE LOVE THIS SOUP.
Seriously, this is SO good. It’s incredibly easy, but because I use the diced fire roasted tomatoes, the flavor is over the top. And it’s pretty forgiving too. If you have some extra veggies to use up or want to remove an ingredient, it will still work.
Satisfying, cozy and comforting is the name of the game.
Here’s how I make this!
I start by browning the sausage. I love that this leaves flavor bits in the pot – and that it also releases some fat, so I can then soften the onions, garlic and squash in those bits.
Once the onions and squash have softened, I stir in some tomato paste. I cook that tomato paste with the sausage and squash mixture until it’s slightly caramelized and dark in color. This really adds a depth of flavor that I find makes a huge difference.
Then come the tomatoes! Diced fire roasted tomatoes are my love language. I have multiple cans in my pantry at all times.
I stir in some chicken stock and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce it and simmer until the squash is tender enough to eat.
Don’t forget a parmesan rind! This is the best thing you can add to any soup for an extra pop of flavor. I buy mine in a container at the cheese counter at Whole Foods, then store them in my freezer. I also always save the rinds on my parmesan too.
Next, the good stuff. I stir in some heavy cream. Some chopped spinach or kale, whichever green I have on hand and some parmesan cheese.
Finally, the tortellini! I stir that in and cook for just a few minutes, until it’s tender and perfect to eat.
Serving this with a big hunk of buttered sourdough is such a lovely fall dinner. It’s so filling, so flavorful and just GOOD all around.
Sausage Squash Tortellini Soup
Butternut Squash & Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, if needed
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ½ cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 14 ounces diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 parmesan rind
- 4 to 5 cups chicken stock
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 3 cups chopped kale or spinach
- 8 to 12 ounces cheese tortellini
- parmesan cheese, for topping
- crushed red pepper, for topping
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the sausage with a big pinch of salt and pepper. Break it apart and brown until it’s golden and cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- If you feel like you need more oil for the vegetables, add in the olive oil. Stir in the onions, garlic, squash and another big pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the onions and squash have slightly softened, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste. Cook for a few minutes, allowing the color (and flavor!) to deepen. Pour in the diced tomatoes, parmesan rind and 4 cups chicken stock. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce it to a simmer and cover, then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, stir in the heavy cream. Stir in the kale. Stir in the tortellini and cook for 5 minutes, until it’s tender and cooked through. This is the time to decide if you want to add the remaining cup of chicken stock. If so, add it in! Remember that the tortellini will soak up the liquid as it sits.
- Taste the soup and season additionally with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve immediately with parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper for topping.
Just add a dipper!