Weeknight Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches with Pickle Slaw.
These easy weeknight buffalo chicken sandwiches are dinner gold. Saucy chicken served on a soft and buttery brioche bun, piled high with crisp and refreshing pickle slaw. DELISH.
Dinner winner here!
These buffalo chicken sandwiches are super juicy and delicious, easy enough to make for a weeknight meal and are especially wonderful topped with a crisp and crunchy dill pickle slaw.
Oh my gosh.
It’s my kind of sandwich.
And it’s SO EASY. I use the same method as I do for my weeknight BBQ chicken.
Ridiculously simple, so tasty, a huge favorite for everyone.
And perfect for the super bowl!
P.S. if you’re looking for more buffalo chicken recipes, I also love these slaw sandwiches with gorgonzola slaw. Same vibe, different flavors, still for a crowd.
But… this is my favorite way to make pulled chicken sandwiches for dinner during the week!
Let me tell you why they are so good:
I use chicken thighs, for the optimal flavor and juiciness. I find that thighs also make this chicken taste like it has been cooked low and slow.
It takes just a few minutes! I broil the chicken for 15 minutes or less. Then I shred it in a stand mixer, adding in more sauce and spices.
It’s a great meal to make ahead of time, so you can easily meal prep this dish. It also makes for incredible leftovers and the chicken can be repurposed in tacos, on pizza or even in a salad.
Let’s talk about this slaw. Oh heck yes, pickle lovers unite!
I could eat pickles with every meal. I used to only love dill pickles, but now my heart extends to sweeter pickles as well. I’m telling you this because I think you can use both in this recipe. Dill or sweet work well, interchangeably.
The combination of buffalo chicken + pickles is divine! The slaw adds a crunchy, crisp element to the sandwich and I find that it takes it over the top. The chicken is tender and juicy. The slaw is refreshing and tangy and adds a fabulous texture.
To make the slaw, I combine thinly sliced green cabbage, lots of dill pickles, some shallots, a delicious honey vinegar dressing and a few spoonfuls of sweet relish too. Makes all the difference!
I also serve this slaw on pork nachos. Seriously dreamy.
Trust me when I say that this is a slaw you’ll want to eat on just about anything. BBQ chicken? As a side salad? I am here for it all.
Serve with some fries or chips or roasted broccoli. Enjoy!
Weeknight Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
Weeknight Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches with Dill Pickle Slaw
- Preheat the broiler on your oven to high and make sure there is an oven rack right below it.
- Season the chicken thighs all over with salt and pepper and place them on a baking sheet.
- Place the sheet directly under the broiler. Broil for 6 minutes. Flip the chicken and broil for 6 minutes more.
- After 6 minutes, brush a layer of win sauce onto the chicken. Broil for 1 minute. Flip and brush the other side, then broil for 1 minute more. You can repeat this one or two more times until the chicken is cooked through. The temperature should register 165 degrees F internally.
- Place the chicken in the bowl of your electric mixer. You can also just shred this by hand or with forks, etc - but wait until it cools somewhat. It doesn’t need to cool before going into the mixer.
- Turn the mixer on medium-low speed. As the chicken is shredding, add in the paprika, garlic powder and ranch seasoning. Continue to mix until the spices are evenly distributed.
- Add in ⅓ cup wing sauce and continue to mix. You can add more sauce than this if you’d like at this point! Stir in the chives.
- Take the chicken and pile it on a brioche bun. Top with the pickle slaw. Serve!
- Combine the cabbage, shallots and chopped pickles in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey, mayo, pickle juice, relish and olive oil with a big pinch of salt and pepper. Pour it over the cabbage mixture and toss well until everything is coated and combined.
- Let sit for 15 minutes before tossing again and serving.
Could eat that slaw alone!