I came home this afternoon to find 4 empty roasted garlic heads laying the middle of the street in front of our house. Some little critter must have got into the garbage and dug those babies out.

Can you blame them??

Have you ever thrown away something- cookies, cake, etc – and covered in with a disgusting substance, like soap, to keep yourself from devouring the entire thing? Miranda did this on an episode of Sex and the City once, and though I had thought of it, I had never done it.

I tried it once with a pound cake and found myself digging the remains out of the garbage to eat. I cannot be helped.

I had a large tub of gorgonzola, which now has only about 1/4 cup left since I love it so much I eat, sleep, breathe and bathe in it.

I made these Roasted Garlic Gorgonzola Smashed Potatoes pre-gorgonzola bath. Thank goodness!

I use Yukon Gold’s because they are my favorite potatoes.

IMG_1052

They want to bathe in gorgonzola, too. And luckily for them – they can.

I used big potatoes and I cut them up so they would boil more quickly.

IMG_1053

I also find them easier to mash when they are smaller.

Use cold water so they cook evenly. At least, I think I have heard that before.

Cook until fork tender.

IMG_1079

Paula Deen visited today and brought some of her friends.

IMG_1080

IMG_1081

Well – by visiting I mean she visited my TV screen for about 6 hours.

I only add a small amount of butter and heavy cream, just enough to keep it creamy.
IMG_1082

IMG_1083

Mash it up.

I am constantly at war with my potato masher. I hate it. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Next comes the roasted garlic, which should take about 30-45 minutes to prepare. I did it ahead of time.

IMG_1093

And this beautiful pool of gorgonzola.

IMG_1071

Squeeze that roasted garlic from the head and it comes right out.

IMG_1098

I’d like to do a garlic shot right about now. Yum.

Once you have added about 6-7 cloves of garlic and 1/3 cup gorgonzola, mash again.

IMG_1099

IMG_1100

It has a wonderful texture with the potato skins still inside. AND lots ‘o vitamins – which we need because it cancels out that butter, cheese, and cream I added earlier.

My husband jumped on the smashed potato bandwagon years ago. Me, not so much. I just recently came to enjoy it and now this is usually how I make ‘mashed’ potatoes. He’s brought so many wonderful things into my life.

Including those extra 5 lbs now that I’m married and don’t need to try anymore.

Just kidding, honey.

Roasted Garlic Gorgonzola Smashed Potatoes

6-8 large Yukon Baby Gold Potatoes (or whatever you have)

1 tablespoon butter

1/4 cup heavy cream

1 entire roasted garlic clove head

1/4 cup gorgonzola

Chop potatoes into smaller pieces so they boil quickly. Add them to a pot with cold water, and set on the stove to come to a boil. Boil for about 20-30 minutes or until fork-tender.  Drain and throw potatoes back in the pot.

Add butter and heavy cream. Mash up, making sure the butter is melted.

Add garlic and gorgonzola. Mash again, leaving a few chunks of cheese and garlic in the potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste, if needed.

Take a closer look. Then go make these immediately.

IMG_1101

IMG_1102

19 Responses to “Roasted Garlic Gorgonzola Smashed Potatoes.”

bluestocking — September 30, 2009 @ 6:03 pm

Yup; looks like Paula Deen to me! ;) Looks yummy, too.

VeggieGirl — September 30, 2009 @ 6:23 pm

HOOOOOLY yum :)

eatingmachine — September 30, 2009 @ 6:53 pm

try and hand mixer instead of a masher. when i’m feeling like making them properly (ie not just for me and my fiance, who eats and loves anything i make, delivering me from any need for perfection) I mash ‘em partway and then use my hand mixer to make them super smooth and tasty.

and i adore paula deen. she has a deep fryer BUILT IN to her kitchen.

Lindsay — September 30, 2009 @ 7:37 pm

Those look fantastic!

Weekly Bite — September 30, 2009 @ 9:31 pm

Oh My Goodness!!! Those look DELICIOUS!! I have them in restaurants before, but I’ve never made them… I need to give them a try!

101quickandeasysecrets — September 30, 2009 @ 10:41 pm

I make hash browns with Yukon Golds. They’re delicious!

–Matt Bamberg, author, http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Secrets-Using-Digital-Photographs/dp/1435454375

jocelyneatsfresh — September 30, 2009 @ 11:17 pm

thoseeee are fab! I am drewling!

donna — October 1, 2009 @ 7:45 am

Just give me a spoon so I can dig in!

Practically Perfect... — October 1, 2009 @ 8:59 am

Those look so yummy!

the Provident Woman — October 1, 2009 @ 11:16 am

Wow! That looks amazing.

natalie (nono2yoyo.com) — October 1, 2009 @ 12:26 pm

Yum yum!! Send some my way pretty please!!

Jessica — October 1, 2009 @ 2:04 pm

So THAT’S what roasted garlic looks like.

I had no idea…nor have I ever done it…

And thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

Jordan — October 1, 2009 @ 3:12 pm

Those do look delicious! Kind of a Giada meets Paula with the gorg, maybe? Classed up!

A couple weeks ago-as a time saver- I boiled potatoes with the peeled garlic cloves added in, then just mashed it all together at the end with some olive oil instead of roasting. Stronger garlic flavor but still pretty good!

I do love some roasted garlic spread on some warm bread though, yum!

Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) — October 2, 2009 @ 12:32 am

That sounds like an amazing combination! I love mashed potatoes :)

Dani — October 2, 2009 @ 1:32 pm

wowww this looks amazing….i loooooooove yukon golds <333
    and gorgonzola
    and roasted garlic
    i MUST make this soon
    thanks for sharing!!

Kelly — October 2, 2009 @ 1:58 pm

my masher is calphalon’s nylon one. those sound yummy, but i don’t think i’ve ever had gorgonzola? my fav is red potatoes with fresh garlic and parsley (milk and a tiny bit of butter). you can either mash it good so you only have a couple chunks left, or simply mix with a spoon so you end up with big chunks and a little mashed holding it together. i still can’t pick which is my fav.

Jill — September 11, 2011 @ 9:37 pm

I just have to tell you that I came across your blog and instantly loved it. I know I’m reading posts from 2 years ago, but I love it so much I had to start from the beginning. Seriously. I laugh my ass off when I’m reading. And then I get hungry. :) Thanks for brightening my day (and my belly!)!
    P.S. the best potato masher for me is my kitchenaid mixer.

Maria Tadic — March 12, 2013 @ 7:00 am

These look so yummy! I love mashed potatoes. My fav addition is boursin cheese! So yummy!

18.1
    Jessica — October 1, 2009 @ 10:06 am

I like to use a hand mixer for mashed potatos without the skins, but when it comes to leaving the skins in I prefer to hand mash to keep some chunks. I wish I lived in Paula’s kitchen. Yum. :)