Summer's End.

Summer is coming to a close here in good ‘ol Pittsburgh.  The weekend was rainy and the forecast for the week is in the 60’s.

My most favorite time of year!

I do not like heat and do not like to be hot unless there is water near by. I sweat like a man – for real. Ask my husband.

He knows better than to take me on a date where there is heat, sun and no sight of a swimming pool or ocean near by. Like a baseball game.

Ok, who am I kidding? Are people still even going to see the Pirates play anymore? Anyone?

I love to go to PNC Park, but usually just for the food. Shocking, I know.

I made one of my most favorite ‘summer’ foods today – guacamole.

Yes, here in PA it has to be a ‘summer’ food, unless you are willing to pay $12 for an avocado at Whole Paycheck Foods. Which I may be. We will see.

I am sure my recipe is no different from many others. I love making guac – I just love chopping food up and throwing it all together.

These babes had seen better days.

They were VERY ripe. Almost non-usable ripe.

But I didn’t let that happen.

Here are my guacamole additions:

Look at that gorgeous avocado meat. Yum.

So creamy.

I was tempted to spoon out these chunks onto warm toast.

I chop about 1/4-1/2 of a red onion.

I was a little teary here. I rarely cry when chopping onions, but when it hits, it’s BAD. As in black mascara all down face. I’m glad that didn’t happen because I was craving some guacamole at 9am. So I made it before going to church. Who does that?

Avocado and onion:

I squeeze most of the juice out of the tomato before I chop. I prefer not to have tomato juice and seeds in my guac.

It’s just how I roll.

Tomato, onion, and avocado:

Ah – look at this beauty. This is a big jalapeno pepper.

I like it hot.

I scraped the seeds out and used 1/4 of this pepper.

Beautiful. Juicy.

Like my thighs.

It even looks delicious here.

I’m tempted to grab a blue corn chip and dip in.

If I had any left, that is. Someone ate it all. My husband doesn’t like avocado. Or at least he thinks he doesn’t.

I use the juice of one lime, freshly squeezed.

Bring on the margaritas!

I think the addition of the lime adds such a kick.

And I juiced this one out.

Add some fresh chopped cilantro to the mix, and we’re ready to roll.

Do you like cilantro? I hear it’s about 50/50. Some people love it, others think it tastes like dish soap. I’ve never had dish soap, but if it tastes like cilantro, bring it on!

I give it a rough mash with a fork, but then choose to make this guac a bit more creamy.

Guac with a sweet potato chip.

My favorite dippers are blue corn chips. We have been going through them at an ungodly rate recently. I think I have a problem.

I loved this guac so much I decided to take him for a ride.

Yes, that would be the front seat of my car. I told you I have no patience.

Summer Guacamole

4 ripe avocados

1/2 red onion, chopped

1/2 jalepeno, chopped

1/2 tomato, chopped

1/4 cup chopped cilantro

1 lime, juice

Scoop out avocado meat. Add chopped vegetables to the mix. Squeeze in fresh lime juice. Serve with chips.

Or eat in car.

19 Responses to “Summer's End.”

VeggieGirl — September 27, 2009 @ 8:33 pm

Guacamole!! I practically eat it daily.

Jess — September 27, 2009 @ 8:44 pm

Oh yum. I LOVE and live for guac. Mine recipe is pretty close to yours and I could eat it everyday. Def the bomb.com!

Lindsay — September 27, 2009 @ 8:59 pm

I love blue corn chips too! I go through them way too fast!

eatingmachine — September 27, 2009 @ 9:09 pm

cilantro is amazing.

and i’m pretty sure not soap like. although i haven’t eaten soap.

carascravings — September 27, 2009 @ 9:38 pm

Guac. is sooo addictive, especially with super yummy chips!
    I take one dip and then I am a goner; I end up finishing off the whole bowl :)

Maddy @ Notes On A Page — September 27, 2009 @ 11:37 pm

I love that you drove around with guacamole! I feel like you and I would be good friends, haha. I’ve never made guacamole with jalapenos before, but I love all things spicy so I’ll definitely have to try it!

Abby (Abby's VeGaN Eats) — September 28, 2009 @ 10:03 am

I saw your comment about Pittsburgh! I went to Pitt for undergrad and Duquesne for grad school. My hubby and I lived in the Southside for over 3 yrs! How cool! We miss it alot.. Pittsburgh is a great city :)

JimmyBean — October 1, 2009 @ 2:17 am

I don’t know If I said it already but …Excellent site, keep up the good work. I read a lot of blogs on a daily basis and for the most part, people lack substance but, I just wanted to make a quick comment to say I’m glad I found your blog. Thanks, :)

A definite great read..Jim Bean

Kelly — October 2, 2009 @ 2:19 pm

i say i don’t like guac, but maybe i need to try yours. and no, i don’t think anyone watches the succos anymore, lol. i used to go for the columbo frozen yogurt, but then they built PNC park and everything is now north shore dining, or something like that. what are you talking about pittsburgh for? aren’t you from irwin? ;)

Michelle — May 25, 2010 @ 7:02 pm

I am going to tell you a secret and you’re not going to believe me, but please try this: Add 2 tbsp. of cream cheese to your avocadoes and mash it up with them. Do the rest of your recipe. You will LOVE it!

amy — July 3, 2011 @ 10:59 am

Wow! I made this last night for a BBQ and it was gone within no more than 30 minutes, everyone was raving. I’ll definitely be making this version again, so delicious!

Daryan — May 24, 2012 @ 10:43 pm

“or eat in car”
    Love it!

Jessica — September 12, 2012 @ 5:52 pm

I feel like such a dork. I always wondered what people did with the juicy part of the tomato! I just smoosh that part off and cut up the firmer parts.

Jessica — September 27, 2009 @ 8:36 pm

I’m with ya girl! Wish I could eat it daily in this Fall/Winter months!

Jessica — September 28, 2009 @ 10:03 am

It is so yummy! You’ve gotta try! :)

Jessica — September 28, 2009 @ 10:05 am

Are you kidding me?!? I went to Duquesne for undergrad! So did my brother for grad/undergrad and he still lives on the South Side. Crazy!

Abby (Abby's VeGaN Eats) — September 28, 2009 @ 1:43 pm

What a small world! I graduated from Pitt in 05 and good old Duq in 07! We talk about the city on a daily basis.. we miss it!! It’s weird, no one talks about the Steelers down here in NC! What a difference!

1. Pingback: Dinner. | How Sweet It Is