Update your google readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

Check out my most frequently asked fitness questions on my fitness page!

Have you ever had cheese soup?

I had never made it before, but dug out this recipe from my aunt.

IMG_2122

I modified it slightly, but it was incredible. First time ever making cheese soup. I’ll take it.

I chopped some onions and sauteed them.

IMG_2123

IMG_2124

IMG_2125

I have hated onions my entire life. Just recently, when I began hvaing to carmelize them for my husband every single day, they started to grow on me.

Weird.

I grated sharp yellow cheddar, sharp white cheddar, and some colby jack.

IMG_2126

IMG_2127

The best (or worst?) part of grating the cheese is eating huge pile-fuls of it. My jeans love it.

Not.

Once the onions were sauteed, I did the coolest thing ever.

IMG_2129

I made a roux, with butter and flour, with the onions.

IMG_2130

IMG_2131

IMG_2132

I had never made a roux with anything other than butter and flour in the pan, so you can imagine my excitement. It is the simple things in life.

Or maybe it’s just my simple mind.

I added some heavy cream, which is quickly becoming my new best friend.

IMG_2133

It is pushing cream cheese and sour cream out the door.

Not really. There is room for all 3 in my life.

I added the cheese in increments, whisking continuously.

IMG_2134

IMG_2141

And I let it simmer, bubble and thicken.

What is that you say? It just looks like a boring cheese sauce?

Well, right now, it kind of is. Though the different kinds of cheese are very tasty, and the ‘sauce’ is now thick like soup.

But here is the best part.

Chopped red pepper.

IMG_2139

IMG_2143

(Isn’t is funny how I can eat lots of veggies when mixed with large quantities of butter and cheese? I’m sort of surprised I didn’t add chocolate to this soup.)

Smoked applewood bacon – my favorite kind.

IMG_2142

I stirred about half of the red pepper and crumbled bacon into the soup, and let it simmer a bit longer.

IMG_2147

The soup was incredible. Especially with large slabs of buttered, whole wheat tuscany bread dipped into it.

IMG_2149

See? I made up for the butter and cheese with whole wheat ingredients.

Huge slices of whole wheat ingredients, that is.

I topped the soup with a bit more pepper and bacon.

IMG_2151

There are barely words.

The onions and peppers stayed crisp inside the creamy soup. And must I even explain the bacon?

IMG_2155

2 cups heavy cream

1/2 cup chicken stock

1/2 cup grated yellow sharp cheddar cheese

1/2 cup grated white sharp cheddar cheese

1/2 cup grated colby cheese

salt & pepper to taste

Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium saucepan at medium-high high. Add chopped onions and saute until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add flour and butter, whisking constantly to create a roux.

Reduce to medium heat, and add heavy cream and chicken stock. Add cheeses in increments, stiring constantly so cheese does not stick to bottom. Reduce to low-medium heat, and let simmer for 15 minutes, or until thick. Stir occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste, if needed. If soup is not as thick as you would like, add flour by the tablespoon, stiring until it thickens.

Add  half of chopped red pepper and bacon to soup, stirring to mix. Let simmer for 5 more minutes.

Serve in soups bowls. Garnish with remaining bacon and red pepper.

That doesn’t sound too difficult does it?

I know you want some.

IMG_2156

So do I. But I ate it all.

Darn it.

Trivia Friday is back tomorrow. 2 more chances to win! :)

29 Responses to “Comforting Cheese Soup with Red Pepper and Bacon.”

momgateway — November 19, 2009 @ 2:40 pm

Sounds so good. I think I’ll make it tonight!

Paige (running around normal) — November 19, 2009 @ 2:41 pm

that sounds amazing!!

Cindy (FarmgirlCyn) — November 19, 2009 @ 3:02 pm

mmmm….I am making homemade mac & cheese tonight and it is very similar. Yes….the problem with grating all that cheese is the enormous amounts that end up eaten by the cook before it even gets to the mac & cheese!

Erica — November 19, 2009 @ 3:13 pm

I have had broc and cheddar but never cheese and red pepper! Sounds so good (minus the bacon for this chicky ;)- maybe some added beans??). I passed your stuffing recipe along to two people who noted they were looking for a good stuffing recipe today! I hope one of them ends up making that bowl of deliciousness :)

Emily (A Nutritionisteats) — November 19, 2009 @ 3:43 pm

I think I need to make this asap. It is right up my alley!!!
    YUM!

Light Delight with TouTou — November 19, 2009 @ 4:14 pm

wow ! that’s definitely comforting food :) I never see a roux with onions in it neither , but you made it! the red pepper and bacon bites are really the highlight of that thick, cheese soup !! oh I love cheeeeese!
    so jealous you have a hand-written recipe from your aunts!

Evan Thomas — November 19, 2009 @ 4:35 pm

I don’t think I’ve had cheese soup ever. It just seems so heavy, but I think I need to go for it once in my life

Lindsey @ EatReadRun — November 19, 2009 @ 6:20 pm

This looks soo yummy and comforting and pretty easy to make.

Scorpio Woman — November 19, 2009 @ 6:35 pm

wow it looks so good. Thanks a lot for the recipe. :)

Kaytee — November 19, 2009 @ 6:48 pm

Wow! This looks so good. I had a lot of fun grating cheese tonight, not gonna lie. It was gruyere and sharp yellow cheddar. I loved it, but I ate a littttttle bit too much out of the thing.

Jessie — November 19, 2009 @ 6:48 pm

That soup looks great. I love cheese and I am sure I would love this soup. I can’t waint to give it a try.

eatmovelove — November 19, 2009 @ 7:40 pm

Never had it. But it’s now on the list! cheese. bacon. red pepper….what’s not to like?! Nice pictures :)

sophia — November 19, 2009 @ 9:36 pm

Cheese soup?! CHHHHEEESE SOUP! Are you kidding me?! AAAHHH! That sounds like a great fat bowl of amazingness! I totally flipped out when I saw the bacon, too! >.<

kay (eating machine) — November 19, 2009 @ 10:02 pm

mmm bacon

have you ever used the pre cooked chopped bacon stuff? it’s awesome when you’re too lazy to cook bacon, but want the sweet goodness in your food…

Ameena — November 19, 2009 @ 10:05 pm

I don’t even eat meat but this soup looks amazing!

katie — November 19, 2009 @ 10:10 pm

oh my gosh..can u be my personal chief?? AWESOME!

carolinebee — November 20, 2009 @ 6:38 am

YUM!! While i will readily admit that many of the ingredients scare the bejeezus out of me :D It looks amazingggg!!! I’m so with u on the grated cheese dilemma, love it!

Seth @ Boy Meets Food — November 20, 2009 @ 6:58 am

Wow, that looks good, but then again…. cheese, cheese, cheese, cream, and bacon… how could it possibly be bad??!!??

Low — November 20, 2009 @ 7:56 am

yum! I love cheese soup and that recipe looks great!

megan — November 20, 2009 @ 9:36 am

This looks awesome! I just made broccoli cheese soup that sounds similar, but I must admit that the addition of bacon sounds better than the addition of broccoli… :)

I love that you read all the healthy living blogs, and then cook like this. It makes me feel like we could be friends.

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers — November 20, 2009 @ 12:39 pm

totally random comment, but i love your aunt’s handwriting! :)

Tania @ Moment Anew — November 20, 2009 @ 2:14 pm

That sounds absolutely decadent! A real treat! Thanks for the recipe :)

Caitlin — November 20, 2009 @ 4:59 pm

Oh yum! I love the idea of bacon chunks in cheesy soup

Cara — November 20, 2009 @ 6:49 pm

Soup looks delish…
    I have been away from the blogging world for a while as I am traveling around Thailand…will be returning to Canada in a couple of days…I am alive and well though, thanks for checking in :)

Barbara Bakes — November 20, 2009 @ 8:08 pm

I love cheese soup and yours looks rich, creamy and delicious!

Holly — November 20, 2009 @ 10:05 pm

heavy cream, cheese and bacon? ummm YES PLEASE!!!!

Kirsten — February 27, 2011 @ 8:09 pm

this was fantastic! definitely a keeper!

Keith — July 18, 2012 @ 6:11 pm

Was very good took a short time to make and taste great i will make it again

bethany moore — January 10, 2013 @ 12:42 pm

I cant wait to try this recipe! I really enjoyed just reading the recipe too! very entertaining!