Update your readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

Congrats to those who played Friday trivia! The correct answers were:

1. Ryan Clark

2. Casino (South Park holds the record for animated film, but Casino still has more)

3. Fangtasia. (This was tricky! Notice I saw ‘vampire’ bar, not ‘the bar.’ Hehehe.)

Those who qualified are:

Y

Jenny

Okra

Diana

If I missed anyone, please let me know!

Thanks for playing! We have one more round next week to win Martha’s cookie book!

This is the simplest, tastiest chocolate cake ever. It takes about 5 minutes to make, 35 to bake, and 1 second to devour. It is incredible – mostly because it is super-easy.

This recipe comes from my other grandmother (not Mother Lovett), who I haven’t really touched upon too much on the blog yet.

The reason I haven’t? The words can’t come without the floodgates opening. Thankfully she is still living, and very healthy.

She is perfect. There are no other words. She is the perfect wife. The perfect mother. The perfect grandmother.

She is the sweetest soul, and spins everything with a positive twist. She is also gorgeous!

She is the classiest woman I know. I have always been very close to her and felt that we had a very special bond. I will write much more about her at a later date, since this is just the tip of the iceberg.

But she makes this cake. It is so incredible.

And easy. Did I already say that?

Check out how easy this is. 3 ingredients only.

Devils Food cake mix.

IMG_2046

A can of apple pie filling.

IMG_2047

And 3 eggs.

Does it even get any easier than that?

Mix it all up.

IMG_2050

So simple!

Pour it into a 9 x 13 pan and bake away. I followed the directions on the box for baking times.

This beauty is born.

IMG_2101

Yes, there is apple pie filling in the cake. No, it does not taste like apples at all. The apple pie filling gives an unbelieveable moistness to the cake. There may be a few chunks of apple depending on how much you mix it, but they still taste like chocolate.

I used a ‘light’ apple pie filling to lighten the cake up a bit. It tasted phenomenal. I am sure that it tastes even better with regular apple pie filling. It is your choice – make it your own!

Hello.

IMG_2117

We finished you off in 2 days. Please make more of your self so we can enjoy you again.

IMG_2118

Simple, Moist Chocolate Cake

1 box Devils Food cake mix

1 20 oz can of apple pie filling

3 eggs

1 teaspoon of vanilla (I added this in)

Optional add ins: nuts, chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.

Using the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cake mix, apple pie filling, vanilla and eggs. Mix on medium-high for 2 1/2 minutes. Fold in any additional add-ins. Pour into 9 x 13 inch baking dish.

Bake according to directions on box.

Frosting is optional here. My grandmother does frost this cake. It was so light and fluffy, that I just could bear to frost it and weigh it down, even with a light frosting.

We ate it like brownies.

We ate it like we were children.

We ate it in 24 hours.

See how incredibly easy that is?

IMG_2120

You can’t pass it up.

IMG_2121

Sure it is light and fluffy, but when you eat the entire dish like we did, you have to work that booty. Try some of these workouts after eating.

Well, a few hours after eating. Throwing up cake mid-workout doesn’t sound too appealing now, does it?

Stay tuned: Over the next few days, I’m going to be doing Holiday Appetizer 101 segments. I have dozens of delicious apps to share – some you’ve probably made, some you may not. Tis’ the season!

31 Responses to “Simple, Moist Chocolate Cake.”

Estela @ Weekly Bite — November 21, 2009 @ 6:59 am

This looks so easy to make! It’s the kind of cake where the ingredients can easily be found in my kitchen :)

Have a great weekend!

Melinda — November 21, 2009 @ 7:54 am

Looks tasty. I love chocolate cake, it’s my fave. Actually anything choc is good with me.

tra — November 21, 2009 @ 7:57 am

wow! what an interesting recipe! do you know if you ONLY have to use devil’s cake food mix? what if i only have a ton of yellow cake mix in my pantry!?

• Seth @ Boy Meets Food — November 23rd, 2009 @ 9:48 am

@ Tra:
      Yes, I am pretty sure you can do this with any cake mix. Things like the apple pie filling, apple sauce, apple butter, etc are great ways to replace the oil that is usually called for in the directions on the box.

April — November 21, 2009 @ 7:58 am

Oh i’m going to have to try this one!

katie — November 21, 2009 @ 8:02 am

this made me want chocolate cake!! you are genious girl

VeggieGirl — November 21, 2009 @ 8:41 am

Wonderful tribute to your grandmother – fabulous cake.

Kelly from Bridges and Bites — November 21, 2009 @ 8:52 am

I’m looking forward to the appetizer segments! I’ve never made a thanksgiving dinner before! Eeep!

Barbara — November 21, 2009 @ 9:46 am

Wow. What a simple cake to make. And it doesn’t look like cake, it looks like brownies! So moist and dense.
    Love family recipes!

The Candid RD — November 21, 2009 @ 10:09 am

Awww, my grandmother’s were both so dear to my heart too, and amazing women. Mine are both gone, you are lucky.

This cake sounds great, you had me at the title! I believe that they don’t taste like apples, as it’s similar when you use applesauce in brownies. They never taste like apples! But, they are so delicious.

Light Delight with TouTou — November 21, 2009 @ 11:18 am

oh your grandmother really looks perfect – she is so elegant!
    I can’t believe you are using the cake mix ! ha ha ha, you are such a great pastry chef , don’t you start from scratch ?
    have a great weekend, Jessica!!!

One Healthy Apple — November 21, 2009 @ 11:23 am

Aww, such a sweet description of your grandma! She is beautiful! I liked added applesauce to my baked goods- you can never taste it, either!

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers — November 21, 2009 @ 12:25 pm

oh i just love simple recipes like this! sounds awesome.

Tricia — November 21, 2009 @ 6:36 pm

Such beautiful words about your grandmother.

And one word for the cake:

YUM

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — November 21, 2009 @ 6:46 pm

cant wait for the helathy app post!

applesauce in cake is a common vegan and/or egg-intolerant substitution and no, you’re right, it doesnt make it taste like apples. At all. It just imparts TONS of awesome moisture. Nothing worse than a dried out cake, is there!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) — November 21, 2009 @ 8:06 pm

You can add canned pumpkin too!! HungryGirl always talks about it :) I tried it once–it was very fudgy!

Barbara Bakes — November 21, 2009 @ 10:16 pm

What a lovely tribute to your grandmother! I make a similar cake with a can of cherry pie filling. Moist and delicious!. I’ll have to try your apple version.

eatmovelove — November 22, 2009 @ 5:35 am

Great post! This is my kind of cake baking!! Love it. I have nothing against using mixes. I’ve also heard of using a Spice Cake mix and mixing it with a can of pumpkin for added moistness and delicious-ness. I adore anything chocolate though :)

Joanna Sutter — November 22, 2009 @ 5:58 am

Ok, how crazy is this…my mother’s maiden name is Lovett.

Nicole — November 22, 2009 @ 6:46 am

I may just have to run out and get these ingredients for the company I am having over later!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — November 22, 2009 @ 9:04 am

darn! I didnt get the trivia :( so sad…I swear it was south park for the most swear words LOL

that cake looks fabulous! it is similar to Hungry girl’s recipe where she uses a box of cake mix and canned pumpkin! thats it :)

apple pie filling sounds like a great idea as well, thanks Jess!
    xo

Kris | iheartwellness.com — November 22, 2009 @ 9:54 am

Mmmmm I could stay on your blog for hours drooling over all the baked goods! I love chocolate cake and am in the middle of perfecting a wheat-less vegan one!

You should enter your many treats on the contest I am having! You have sooooo many!!

XXOO
    Kris

Abby's Vegan Eats — November 22, 2009 @ 11:00 am

OOH my mom would love this recipe.. Im going to forward it to her!!

AND I missed #2.. darnit!! lol

Have a great Sunday!!:)

Gliding Calm — November 22, 2009 @ 2:07 pm

Can I have some? :)

cartie — June 4, 2012 @ 11:13 am

is it okay if you bake this cake without vegetable oil? i know that the back of the cake mix box says to add some, but my pantry is out of it!

jenna — July 5, 2012 @ 12:11 am

i had to cook mine for an extra 15 minutes dunno. but it was ALOT of batter.

pgtycherwob — April 10, 2013 @ 12:06 am

LvBagsSitePotentialCustomersGetErroneous,[url=http://www.vuittontenpo.com/]ルイヴィトン バッグ[/url],VoucherLouisVuittonShoppingBagsRelatedArticles,ヴィトン 財布,LouisVuittonBagsFormingHowItHappened

tamara — July 10, 2013 @ 3:14 am

What a pity – we don’t have Devils Food in Poland :C

Phylli — February 20, 2014 @ 6:06 pm

This recipe seems great! I want to use it this weekend when I make a cake for my church… But I wanted to verify if you still follow all the directions on the cake box as if you are still making the cake regularly? Or is it just the actual bag of cake mix, the apple filling and eggs? I just want to get it right. Thanks!

1. Pingback: My Kind of Tree. | How Sweet It Is