Click here to update your google readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

This is another cookie that I would make with Mother Lovett while she was still kickin’.

If you have someone in your life that prefers treats on the milder side and does not like thing’s very sweet, this cookie is for them. However, I have zero concept of someone thinking a food is too sweet. That’s impossible.

I broke out her old, handwritten recipe.

IMG_2890

There are strict instructions to not refrigerate this dough. They must be rolled into balls right away.

IMG_2892

Of course I followed these instructions. I can’t imagine being haunted by Mother Lovett from her grave. I can just see her ghost following me through the grocery store and throwing stool softener, maxi pads with wings, and chipped ham into my cart.

We always stuffed the cookies with 2 things: pecans and maraschino cherries.

Luckily, I had some pecans hanging around.

IMG_2891

Unfortunately, I did not have any maraschino cherries. I just can’t be trusted. I enjoy the crack cherries too much. But I highly suggest you try them! They are fabulous in these cookies.

After rolling the cookie into a ball, push a pecan inside and continue rolling the dough around it.

IMG_2893

Unfortunately blurry, but gets the point across.

IMG_2894

I made a few plain ones, but most are stuffed with pecans. These are one of my mom’s favorite cookies, and she likes the pecans inside.

IMG_2895

They come out looking buttery and delicate.

IMG_2897

And with a surprise inside – the pecan!

After they cooled, we would roll them in powdered sugar.

IMG_2898

I bet you didn’t think there was a wrong way to coat cookies in powdered sugar.

Alas, there is. Mother Lovett told me so.

IMG_2935

Butterball Cookies

1 cup butter

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 1/4 cups flour

1/2 cup whole pecans/maraschino cherries

1 cup powder sugar

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla. Mix in flour and salt until combined. Roll dough into 1 inch balls.

Stuff each ball with a pecan or maraschino cherry. Place on baking sheet 1 inch apart. Bake for 8 minutes, or until bottoms are golden.

Once cooled, roll in powdered sugar. Makes roughly 24 cookies.

IMG_2936

Enjoy. :)

54 Responses to “Butterball Cookies.”

Evan Thomas — December 22, 2009 @ 8:22 am

Yum! I’m looking for a buttery cookie recipe for x-mas so I might have to use this

Erica — December 22, 2009 @ 8:26 am

mm I love simple recipes like this one. Your blog always makes me hungry…..but I refuse to stop reading it :)

homecookedem — December 22, 2009 @ 8:51 am

Those looks so good! I too can’t fathom someone thinking something is too sweet!! Blasphemy! ;)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 22, 2009 @ 8:53 am

Those look delicious!! I love that you make all your Grandma’s recipes – good for you for keeping the traditions alive!

CookiePie — December 22, 2009 @ 8:59 am

I love those cookies! And the handwritten recipe – those are always the best.

Beth @ DiningAndDishing — December 22, 2009 @ 9:06 am

I loooove those cookies. Something so simple and satisfying about them :O)

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers — December 22, 2009 @ 9:12 am

pecans! cookies! powdered sugar! sign me up.

Abby — December 22, 2009 @ 9:28 am

OMG I just got caught up on your last few posts.. insane, girl.. everything looks so yummy and festive. I love pecans.. they make cookies even better. Enjoy!! :)

megan — December 22, 2009 @ 9:32 am

I’ve never had these before, but they look good. although i agree with you that a cookie can’t really be “too sweet”. i made white hot chocolate last night though, that actually came close to being too sweet. i managed to finish it though :)

Amanda — December 22, 2009 @ 9:53 am

Love your Mother Lovett! And yes, I think I have about 10 others cookies of yours to try before these… I loves me some sweet! :)

Blessings!
    Amanda

Lauren — December 22, 2009 @ 9:54 am

Really? A wrong way to roll cookies in powdered sugar? Who would have known.

Stef — December 22, 2009 @ 9:58 am

Nice, buttery cookies! I love those, and more importantly, teh people I bake for as gifts love those! Pecan surprise! Merry Christmas to ya!

kay (eating machine) — December 22, 2009 @ 10:10 am

mmm my daddy makes powdered sugar coated cookies that are similar every year.

the powdered sugar makes ‘em extra good

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) — December 22, 2009 @ 10:26 am

You have no idea how happy it makes me to see pecans tucked into those cookies. Love the handwritten recipe. Keep that forever and ever.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — December 22, 2009 @ 10:47 am

Delicious looking cookies!

Jocelyn — December 22, 2009 @ 10:49 am

nom nom..sounds good!

katie — December 22, 2009 @ 10:50 am

nommm! Jessica-i bet you are the best wife EVER!

Sarah — December 22, 2009 @ 10:50 am

Those look great! What’s the texture? Crunchy?

Paige (running around normal) — December 22, 2009 @ 11:08 am

Ooh, my mom would love these! She’s a big fan of treats that aren’t “too sweet!”

Alisa — December 22, 2009 @ 11:09 am

Those maraschino cherries were an addiction when I was a little kid! My mom simply couldn’t purchase them when I was around :)

Those look delicious!

janetha b — December 22, 2009 @ 11:36 am

OMG i just caught up on 8 new posts. you are a treat making MACHINE! seriously i was just in awe over all the gorgy christmas goodies! and i loved the snow. and the hot chocolate was probably a highlight! i am going to make your buffalo chicken dip on christmas eve~cannot wait!

Sarah (OC2Seattle) — December 22, 2009 @ 11:36 am

I totally hear you on the maraschino crack cherries – way too addictive to have around the house~

Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) — December 22, 2009 @ 12:47 pm

Not too sweet? What’s that? ;-)

One Healthy Apple — December 22, 2009 @ 12:52 pm

These sound delicious! I would pour straight up sugar into my mouth if I could, so I have a hard time with too sweet myself!

I loved the recipe and the commentary of your sweet memories with it!

The Candid RD — December 22, 2009 @ 1:01 pm

Yet another recipe I hated as a child, but now really enjoy. They look great!

Jenny — December 22, 2009 @ 1:09 pm

OMG! I have a handwritten recipe from my great grandmother for cookies eerily similar to these! We call them “lady fingers” and bake them in finger shaped rolls of dough. They are amazing!

One of my favorite things about the holidays are all of the passed down recipes we pull out of the cookbooks!

Casey @ Spicy&Sweet — December 22, 2009 @ 1:44 pm

Yum! My mom makes those…they are delicious!

Kelly B. — December 22, 2009 @ 1:53 pm

Okay now those could be my favorite cookie you have posted yet!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) — December 22, 2009 @ 2:06 pm

Nice that you have the old, handwritten recipe. I wish my nanna had kept them. Everything was in her head and nothing was ever the same twice. Dash of this or that varied batch by batch.

The comment too you left on my blog now that you can eat raw vegan b/c all the eats today (raw vegan cookie recipes) suited the mainstay of your diet..OMG I LMAO. Thank you. Priceless one liner. Loved it :)

Low — December 22, 2009 @ 2:48 pm

Yum! I can get overloaded with sweets around this time of year. Those sound amazing.

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen — December 22, 2009 @ 3:26 pm

Those look scrumptious! So cool that the recipe is handwritten, too. Those are usually the best ones!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — December 22, 2009 @ 3:43 pm

These look great – some of my favorite kinds of cookies! Very pretty too.

Peanut Butter Bliss — December 22, 2009 @ 4:12 pm

oh man those cookies sound SO SO SO good!! especially for the upcoming parties :)

april — December 22, 2009 @ 7:10 pm

You must stop making all of these delicious goodies!! I’m drooling over here!

Christina — December 22, 2009 @ 7:56 pm

These sound perfect for my bf. He’s one of those weirdo sweet haters.

chrysta — December 23, 2009 @ 12:28 am

oh yum!! these look so fantastic!

Jess (Fit Chick in the City) — December 23, 2009 @ 6:40 am

This must win an award for funniest name of a cookie!

Tia @ ButtercreamBarbie — June 25, 2010 @ 12:33 am

totally awesome. like shortbread surprise!

Terry — December 9, 2010 @ 1:04 am

Made these today with the cherries – they were amazing! Thanks for sharing such a great recipe. Next time I’m going to drain the juice from the cherries, refill with Crown Royal and let the little gems soak for a few days. Then I’ll make another batch of these for the adults….

• Jessica — December 9th, 2010 @ 1:20 am

So glad you liked them! That idea is brilliant!

mommah — December 19, 2010 @ 3:28 am

I love this website because of the yummy recipes, but also because of your wickedly funny sense of humor. Keep it comin’!!

Becca — December 22, 2010 @ 1:21 pm

Mother Lovett was undoubtedly a beautiful soul…. and she is to be thanked for helping to create a beautiful granddaughter.
    I’m undergoing a scary medical procedure this morning. These butterballs (filled with crack cherries) will become my comfort. Oh, and maybe 3 dozen Nutella buckeyes… because what could possibly be wrong with hazelnuts and chocolate?

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2010 @ 10:20 pm

Hope everything is okay girl!

m. — November 20, 2011 @ 7:56 pm

I just made these and… OMG… They are AWESOME! Due to humidity I had to add a little extra flour and I’m really happy about the result. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us.

Ashley's Cooking Adventures — November 29, 2011 @ 1:57 am

Yum, these cookies are a holiday must! They melt in your mouth.

Robin — December 18, 2013 @ 6:09 am

I made these last night and they were really good! I made them plain (didn’t put anything inside), rolled in the powdered sugar, and then added Hershey’s kisses right out of the oven while still warm into the center. pics will be on instagram under robinmommy.

1. Pingback: Holiday Cookies | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: My Christmas: The Eats | Gingersnaps

3. Pingback: FoodBuzz Fest: Histrionic Highlights | Gingersnaps

4. Pingback: Butterball Kiss Cookies

5. Pingback: Starting to Feel Real | Next Stop, Latvia

6. Pingback: The Great Gummy Massacre | Next Stop, Latvia

7. Pingback: A Righteous Spanse of Shortbread | Next Stop, Latvia

8. Pingback: Holiday Cookie Recipes: Butterball Kiss Cookies - It's Yummi!