I stole got this recipe from my friend Cindy. I used all of her same ingredients, but mixed things up a bit.

I chopped up some pepperoni into tiny peices.

IMG_2486

And used a generous amount of italian seasoning – it gives the dip most of it’s flavor.

IMG_2487

I don’t really care for italian seasoning, most likely because it is green and looks ‘vegetable-like’.  But I took one for the team this time.

I put cheese in the cream cheese, because I like adding cheese to cheese. What goes better with cheese, besides cheese?

And bacon.

And wine.

And even chocolate.

I’ll stop there.

Anyhow, I folded everything in to the cream cheese.

IMG_2488

Spread it into a baking dish.

IMG_2489

And topped it with more of the goods, this time adding sauce to the mix.

IMG_2490

IMG_2491

IMG_2492

I love pizza, but I don’t love pepperoni. I never really have. While I am all about adding more grease to pizza, why would I want to add more protein? I’d rather eat it in all of it’s fatty glory and then uncomfortably roll around in elastic-waistband pants for a few hours. Know what I mean?

I know, I know, pepperoni isn’t really a protein per say. Just let me pretend. Like how I pretend bacon is a protein. Every day.

My husband loves pepperoni, and he loved it in this dip.

IMG_2510

It was excellent, and tasted very pizza-like. It was really different and I had never had a dip like it before.

Which does surprise me, because sometimes when I try on clothes, I think I must have eaten a lot of dip. Or that funny, sparkly, magic clothes-shrinking fairy paid me a visit. Darn it.

See? Just like real pizza. Even with the pepperoni grease on top!

IMG_2511

Don’t fret. Just lick if off the plate like someone did dab it with a napkin. Like real pizza. :)

Pizza Dip

2-8oz blocks of cream cheese, softened

2 cups mozzarella cheese

3/4 cup chopped pepperoni

1 cup pizza sauce

1 tablespoon italian seasoning

Preheat oven to 375.

Mix cream cheese, italian seasoning, 1/4 cup pepperoni, and 1 cup mozzarella cheese together. Spread in a baking dish.

Layer remaining pepperoni on top, followed by pizza sauce and remaining mozzarella cheese.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted.

Serve with crackers, chips, and bread.

IMG_2512

Enjoy!

IMG_2513

Tip: If you cook, bake, and eat all these yummy treats like me some do, check out my FIT BITES section. You can find daily posts, eats, lots ‘o workouts, and fulfilling challenges.

Still not getting my updates since I switched domains? Click here to subscribe: http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

42 Responses to “Holiday Appetizers 101: Pizza Dip.”

Maria — December 2, 2009 @ 1:27 pm

I am sure this would be a hit at any party!

katie — December 2, 2009 @ 1:29 pm

YUMMM! i love pizza!

Amanda — December 2, 2009 @ 1:30 pm

I think I want to make this and eat it all right now. :) I have got to stroll through your site more today as I need the PERFECT appetizer to bring to the in-laws this Saturday!!!

Blessings-
    Amanda

homecookedem — December 2, 2009 @ 1:55 pm

OOoooh, this looks so delicious!! I’ve had something similar before and it was the hit of the party!! Thanks for sharing – will have to make this sometime soon!! :)

Biz — December 2, 2009 @ 1:56 pm

Ha! Only you Jessica would think an herb looks like green vegetables!!

Love the dip idea!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — December 2, 2009 @ 2:01 pm

I’m storing this dip in my memory! It would be great for a party!

Sarah Jayne — December 2, 2009 @ 2:04 pm

This looks great!

and, ps, you crack me up. HILLLLarious :)

VeggieGirl — December 2, 2009 @ 2:28 pm

Mmm, pizza pizza :-D

Rose — December 2, 2009 @ 2:29 pm

That looks easy and delicious!

Jessie — December 2, 2009 @ 2:29 pm

This looks great. I love pizza and can not wait to give this a try.

Evan Thomas — December 2, 2009 @ 2:32 pm

OMG You know just how to post the things I’m craving :-)

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers — December 2, 2009 @ 2:49 pm

love this recipe! i always think of mexican-inspired dips for chips & this is a great alternative.

Low — December 2, 2009 @ 3:13 pm

I don’t like pepperoni either. Never have. That looks amazing though.

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — December 2, 2009 @ 3:43 pm

a pizza dip! brilliant! I dont eat pepperoni, but I would make this sans pepperoni and gobble it right down!

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — December 2, 2009 @ 3:45 pm

Oh my goodness – another way for me to get more pizza-like goodness into my belly? Died and gone to heaven…this looks amazing. Um and bacon and pepperoni are sooo counting as proteins…!

Chrysta — December 2, 2009 @ 4:06 pm

Looks fabulous! The dip sounds so great and you could add so many “toppings” to it. Great idea! Thanks!

Angie — December 2, 2009 @ 4:14 pm

Awesome recipe…Looks delish!!
    I’ll have to try it for a holiday party!

Sook — December 2, 2009 @ 4:59 pm

Wow this would be a great appetizer for any day! :)

Cara (Cara Craves...) — December 2, 2009 @ 6:31 pm

That dip looks sinfully delicious :)

Erica — December 2, 2009 @ 6:54 pm

I have been tossing around the idea of having a Christmas party. If I do, I know I will be back on your blog searching for appetizer ideas! This looks just incredible. And I love the idea of adding cheese to cheese

Morgan @ Life After Bagels — December 2, 2009 @ 7:06 pm

ummmmmmmm I love you pizza dip, will you marry me!?!?!?

Light Delight with TouTou — December 2, 2009 @ 7:32 pm

oh…that pizza dip looks sooo yummy!!! I am big cheese fan…anything top with cheese will be my favorite!!!!!!

kay (eating machine) — December 2, 2009 @ 8:19 pm

i hate the clothes shrinking fairy :-)

Jessica — December 2, 2009 @ 8:20 pm

Yum!!! Can’t wait to try this! Thanks for all the great holiday appetizers.

Caitlin@TheTwentyFifthYEar — December 2, 2009 @ 8:24 pm

I’m always looking for great dips for our parties – this will be a crowd pleaser! Funny, I am eating pizza right now – poor man style with sauce drizzled on buns with shredded cheese and a piece of pepperoni, which I normally don’t like either!

Katie — December 2, 2009 @ 10:09 pm

Oh my goodness, I should make this for my husband, he would never stop thanking me. You are a pepperoni genius! :-)

lynn @ the actors diet — December 2, 2009 @ 11:32 pm

i’m not the biggest pepperoni fan – not that i don’t like it, but i never get it on my pizza….

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — December 3, 2009 @ 5:15 am

I am totally sending your link to my fabulous 16 year old niece she would make this and eat this up!

megan — December 3, 2009 @ 6:16 am

I LOVE pizza. i really want to make this. I wonder if I could serve it with bread and consider it dinner?

• Jessica — December 3rd, 2009 @ 6:34 am

Definitely…I do that. Sometimes. Or all the time. :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — December 3, 2009 @ 6:20 am

Yum!! This looks good!

Also– “I put cheese in the cheese, because I like cheese to cheese”…love it :-) Yay cheese!

Joee — December 1, 2010 @ 5:15 pm

I dont have a baking dish like that.. Is there anything else i could bake it in?? Thanks!!

• Jessica — December 1st, 2010 @ 6:08 pm

Any kind of baking dish or oven-safe dish would be fine!

Kelly @ Kelly Be Well — December 15, 2010 @ 8:33 pm

Thoughts on the logistics of having to make this ahead of time? Do you think it could be reheated in a microwave?
    (Trying to come up w/ something for DH’s LAST christmas work party, and all the stuff that looks good is HOT, but his workplace has no oven….)

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 3:37 am

You can microwave to reheat it, it may not be quite as good but it should still work!

Brittany — January 22, 2011 @ 2:11 am

My mother has made this before . She got it from her sister in law & we LOVE it !! Its cool someone else besides them know this one too . (:

Erin — February 7, 2012 @ 9:41 am

This was really good.. I have made this in the summer and for the Super Bowl party this past weekend. I also wanted to add what we did with the leftover dip since it is me, my husband, and an almost 2 year old right now and we made dinner the next night: cooked some penne, added more sauce and ricotta to the dip, and mixed it in with the pasta. Topped it with parm ch since we do that with all our pasta dishes! It was delicious! :-)

Dani — March 4, 2012 @ 2:30 pm

I made this last night in a little dipper crockpot and it came out great!

Joanna — September 6, 2012 @ 9:13 pm

I made this glorious dip this past weekend for a get together at the lake that my parent’s went to. I substituted ‘Kraft Mexicana Shredded Cheese’ for the mozza cheese, just to try something different. The dish came back empty, and was a total hit. Next time I’m going to use the ‘Kraft 3 Cheese Pizza Shredded Cheese’ because, well, it’s super gooey-stretchy cheese and it’s pre-shredded. Win win!

1. Pingback: No Internets « Low… and behold!’s Blog