Treadmill HIIT.

Happy Sunday! :)

How much Christmas shopping did you get done this weekend? I shopped most of today, and love the hustle and bustle. I will be making many more trips before December 25th. I find this time of year to be magical.

Speaking of December, have you written down any goals you were planning on saving for the new year?? I had managed to get in all of my fruits and veggies until today. Tomorrow is a new day!

The weekend was great – filled with holiday cheer.

marg

And left me with a few reasons to have some great workouts this coming week!

25 Days of Workouts

Workout #5 – Treadmill HIIT

I’ve posted some of my own HIIT workouts before, and discussed HIIT more thoroughly in this post. I’ve had some requests to post a treadmill HIIT example, and I hope you remember that it is just that – an example. HIIT will be differently for everyone, as each person’s threshold is different. Remember - true HIIT is very short intervals – much less than 60 seconds. If you are doing 60 second intervals, it is not HIIT. That is interval training, which is also very effective.

A common form for HIIT (an my personal favorite) is 20 seconds off, 40 seconds on.

10 minute warm up

For 15-20 minutes perform:

20 seconds at 9.0 mph; 2.0 incline

40 seconds at 4.5 mph; 2.0 incline

10 minute cool down

Remember to hydrate, pay attention to how you feel, and stop if you feel anything is wrong. Everyone is different, so as usual the settings may need adjusted. Read more about HIIT here.

See ya Monday. :)

21 Responses to “Treadmill HIIT.”

Sana — December 6, 2009 @ 6:12 pm

I have never heard of HIIT before but it sounds super hardcore!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad — December 6, 2009 @ 7:53 pm

This HIIT thing is so interesting! I’ve never heard of it before. Definitely going to try it this week!

Sarah — December 6, 2009 @ 8:31 pm

Wow! That sounds like an amazing workout. I am not sure I ready to try that yet, but I feel more confident I am going to give it a try.

katie — December 6, 2009 @ 8:37 pm

great workout! i cant wait to try it!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — December 6, 2009 @ 9:12 pm

cant wait to see your butter and flour laden creations tomorrow per the comment you left me…LOL
    love it girl!!!
    xoxo

Shelley — December 6, 2009 @ 9:22 pm

that sounds like a really good/intense workout

April — December 7, 2009 @ 2:09 am

I’m DONE with shopping!!!

I can’t wait until my groin is 100% so I can sprint again. I’m up to 8.0 for a minute now ;)

great post!

The Candid RD — December 7, 2009 @ 5:52 am

Intervals are so great. I love them!
    I also love how positive and cheery you are. I sometimes feel like a Grinch around the holidays, so I appreciate your holiday spirit. I am bout 75% finished with my Christmas shopping, which is pretty darn good for me! I’m excited to do the wrapping, i’s my favorite part :)

Kristie Lynn — December 7, 2009 @ 10:05 am

I was happy to open the Google Reader and see such balanced posting from you – treadmill workout + cake balls. :-D

Kelly B. — December 7, 2009 @ 4:26 pm

Love it…that seems like a SICK workout! (sick in an awesome way!)

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers — December 8, 2009 @ 10:29 am

loved this workout!!! thank you for adding a little spice to my workout routine! :)

GK — December 8, 2009 @ 6:30 pm

I always do HIIT workout since treadmill from lifespanfitness.com.au as they raised my interest by the article of how to do efficient HIIT workout. It provides me new way to work out and also reduce the boredom when I work out, cause I have to focus on exercises.

Gym Equipment — December 19, 2009 @ 6:36 pm

I have lately purchased a weslo treadmill, and I am wondering if extended use will damage my knees and if so is there any methods i can use to avoid that?

David — January 21, 2010 @ 9:07 am

So simple yet (I’m sure) so effective. I’ve been looking to add some different intervals to my training runs. Perhaps the simplest ones will work the best! Thanks for sharing.

Sarah — May 6, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

So – I have a question. I love the interval workouts, but when you do them in such short bursts, how do you have enough time to let the treadmill slow from 9.0 to 4.5? By the time it got to 4.5 (if it ever got that low), it’d be time to go back up to 9 again. That might be the whole point, but I was just curious. thanks!

• Jessica — May 6th, 2010 @ 1:10 pm

I have 2 types of treadmills at my gym – the first, I can punch in the speed, so when I punch in 4.5, it slows and I walk as soon as I can, then type in 9.0 and start running – that one is fast.

The other one we have it where you have to hold in the ‘arrow’ button for the speed. I just hold my finger on it so it goes as fast as it can. That one is much slower.

Regardless, I really don’t ‘start’ my 20/40 seconds until I am ‘at’ the exact speed. So I may be starting the 20 seconds at 9:04 on the clock, instead of the exact 9:00. But then I don’t end until 9:24, and so on…

Kari — February 3, 2011 @ 8:51 am

Would you say that your 20 seconds would be at a 10 for exertion, then 40 seconds at maybe a 5?

1. Pingback: Simple or Sha-Zaam? « Peanut Butter Fingers