Quesadillas are one of our go-to meals.

Well, at least one of my go-to meals.

I’m not sure that Mr. How Sweet could assemble a quesadilla, especially if he has a case of hungry-angry husband syndrome.

So I usually make them for us in order to avoid any kind of 2-year-old-tantrum that may take place.

My favorite part about quesadillas?

You can use anything. You can make any flavor. Toasted, fried or grilled, they taste incredible.

This specific quesadilla is loaded with caramelized onions, chicken, two kinds of cheese and barbeque sauce, with a little extra for dipping.

I think it is my favorite one so far. In fact, I’ve had a version of this for lunch almost everyday this week.

I had mine with some kale chips on the side, since, you know, they are still the only vegetable I can stomach. Especially after I drown out all the kale flavor with nutritional yeast.

Speaking of veggies, I tried to serve Mr. How Sweet a side salad the other day and he refused. Am I rubbing off on him?

I asked him about it, and he said that he didn’t want to ‘waste the calories’ on a salad.

What?

I don’t think he was joking either.

I’ll just put this in my jar of other wacky things he believes. Then I’ll bring it out in times of war.

BBQ Chicken Quesadillas

Serves 2

4 whole wheat tortillas

6 oz chicken, grilled

1 small vidalia onion

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 oz shredded, low-fat monterey jack cheese

2 oz shredded, low-fat cheddar cheese

1/4 cup barbeque sauce

Heat a skillet on medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Slice the onion, sprinkle with salt and add it to the pan to caramelize – about 10- 15 minutes. Transfer onions to a bowl when finished.

To assemble quesadillas, add 1 ounce of cheddar cheese on the bottom. Top with 3 ounces of chicken, a drizzle of barbeque sauce, caramelized onions, and another ounce of monterey jack cheese on top.

Heat the same skillet you used for the onions on medium heat and spray it with cooking spray. Add quesadilla to the pan, letting cook on each side about 5 minutes, or until tortilla is crispy and cheese is melted.

I could eat quesadillas all day long.

Case in point: dessert quesadillas, cheesy chicken quesadillas, and crab-avocado quesadillas.

Drool.

91 Responses to “BBQ Chicken Quesadillas.”

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — July 2, 2010 @ 8:06 am

Yum! Quesadillas are one of my favorite go-to meals, too. My hubby would love these since I think he may very well love BBQ sauce more than me!

Jeana — August 9, 2010 @ 7:47 pm

Made these for my family tonight, they were so good! Everyone loved them. Thanks for posting this!

• Jessica — August 9th, 2010 @ 8:07 pm

So glad you liked them!

Shannon — August 13, 2010 @ 2:57 pm

Oh my gosh, I think I just found what we are having for dinner tonight!! Thanks!!

Joanne @ mostlyfitmom — August 17, 2010 @ 9:40 am

This sounds delicious! Found my way over from I’m an Okie. Plan to try this recipe out soon – quick and easy is always a good thing around here.

Joanne @ mostlyfitmom — August 18, 2010 @ 9:27 pm

I made these today. So simple, and SO good! I linked to the recipe, so that others can enjoy as much as I did. Thanks so much for sharing!

kelly — December 3, 2010 @ 2:57 am

I finally made these last night. Ummm, so delicious!

Ashley — January 14, 2011 @ 4:41 am

Made these tonight – so delish!!! They were super easy. And more than enough food for 2 people.

The Texas Peach — February 27, 2011 @ 7:18 pm

I will definitely have to make these. My husband loves Chicken Quesadillas and he loves Barbeque sauce.

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — June 30, 2011 @ 12:56 pm

I made these last night, and both my husband and I absolutely loved them! The caramelized onions were the perfect sweet accompaniment to the smoky barbeque sauce. We’ll definitely be enjoying these quesadillas on a regular basis :).

Kimmi Ann Rea — August 1, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

could i use another type of onion??

Jill — October 19, 2011 @ 5:23 pm

Added a little chopped chipotle pepper to the bbq sauce and it was delicious! Thanks for an easy and delicious recipe!

Sasha — July 5, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

I made these this evening, preparing everything on the grill. They were fantastic. Absolutely going into our rotation!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention BBQ Chicken Quesadillas. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Happy Sunday! « HEALTHY LIVING WITH KELLY

11. Pingback: Hunger= M.I.A « Greek Yogurt & Apple Slices

12. Pingback: BBQ Chicken Quesadillas | I'm An Okie

13. Pingback: Turkey, Brie and Cranberry Quesadillas | How Sweet It Is

14. Pingback: BBQ Chicken Quesadillas | Food Living

15. Pingback: Baked Potato Nachos | How Sweet It Is

16. Pingback: Lunch, Day 2 | Sober and the City

17. Pingback: Running, Baking, and Frivolity: My Sunday in Review « Mostly Fit Mom

18. Pingback: Six Pack Abs Meal: Chicken Quesadilla (Part 3) | Lose Tummy Fat Exercises

19. Pingback: I am that Yankee Doodle Boy (Girl) « mrsbungobaggins

20. Pingback: Football Food! [135 Recipes for Football Season.] | Lifestyle Pins

21. Pingback: Because I’m bad at planning ahead