Out of all the different brownie obsessions I’ve had, none have ever involved coconut.

It’s a sin I tell you. A sin.

I love chocolate and coconut flavors together, but I wasn’t sure how well chewy brownies would work out with shredded coconut.

If you are a coconut fan, you will absolutely love them.

If you are like Mr. How Sweet who would rather swallow nails than eat coconut, you can go hide in the corner, wimpering. That’s what he did.

It’s funny how two people have such different tastes. This is one of my dream brownies, while it’s his worst nightmare.

He’d probably only be truly happy with a steak-flavored brownie.

I’ll stick with the coconut cream. They may be my most favorite brownie yet.

Coconut Cream Topped Brownies

(you can use a homemade brownie recipe below or boxed brownies)

3 squares baking chocolate

1/2 lb butter

2 cups sugar

4 eggs

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350.

Melt butter and baking sqaures in a microwave safe bowl. In the mixing bowl, cream melted butter and chocolate mixture. Add in sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in eggs, beating one at a time. Add flour and stir just until combined.

Pour into greased 9 x 13 baking dish (I used a 8 x 8 square cake pan).  Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until just barely done. Cool before frosting.

Coconut Cream Pie Frosting

2 sticks butter, softened

1.5 – 2 lbs powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon coconut extract

4 oz package Jello instead coconut cream pudding

1/4 cup shredded coconut

2-3 tablespoons coconut milk

toasted coconut for garnish

Cream butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar gradually and mix. Add in instant pudding mix. Mix until desired consistency, adding milk 1 tablespoon at a time. Frost brownies and top with toasted coconut.

I think I’ve exhausted all the delicious brownie flavors. I’m sure I could try something incredibly disgusting to most people, like adding my beloved gorgonzola or some form of bacon. As for now, I’m content.

And full.

45 Responses to “Coconut Cream Topped Brownies.”

brandi — June 18, 2010 @ 5:03 am

yum, yum, yum. I’ve been becoming more and more obsessed with coconut lately, and these look killer!

Gabriela — June 18, 2010 @ 5:07 am

I’d like to make a vat of this frosting and swim in it, please. Icing is my favorite food, and this looks absolutely heavenly!!

Hazel — June 18, 2010 @ 5:08 am

Oh, yum! Those things look amazing. I am in love with anything coconut, so topping a brownie with coconut cream? You better believe I’m in heaven :) Thanks for posting such a great recipe!!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — June 18, 2010 @ 5:14 am

I do not love coconut either…but this could be a game changer!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — June 18, 2010 @ 5:14 am

We are definitely on the coconut team here! YUM! Those look amazing!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] — June 18, 2010 @ 5:15 am

this might be my favorite brownie recipe you’ve posted yet. Can’t wait to try them!

Melissa @ For the Love of Health — June 18, 2010 @ 5:17 am

I absolutely love coconut. I bet these taste amazing.

Wei-Wei — June 18, 2010 @ 5:32 am

D: Can you leave out the shredded coconut? I like the flavour but not the texture. :(

Wei-Wei

Katrina — June 18, 2010 @ 5:53 am

I’m surprised these are your first coconut brownies!! They look so tasty!

Erica — June 18, 2010 @ 5:57 am

Hope you’re still having fun on your trip. These look so yum to me. I love coconut in just about anything sweet!

homecookedem — June 18, 2010 @ 6:20 am

Brownies don’t sound good now that I’m pregnant, but I can guarantee you after all my weird food aversions go away, I’ll be drooling over these.

Jessie (Bites and Pieces) — June 18, 2010 @ 6:23 am

These brownies look awesome! I will never understand why people don’t like coconut, especially when it’s all toasty like that. Yum!

Amanda — June 18, 2010 @ 7:38 am

AHHH! I cant keep up. There are so many amazing recipes on here girl.. you are just amazing!! I love it!

Blessings-
    Amanda

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — June 18, 2010 @ 7:46 am

Holy bananas. Coconut makes everything exponentially better in my book!

Kelly — June 18, 2010 @ 8:05 am

Looks so fluffy. I like the little drip of frosting hanging precariously over the side.

Camille — June 18, 2010 @ 8:20 am

I love coconut! I can’t wait to try these!

Lindsey @ Foodie on the Rocks — June 18, 2010 @ 8:44 am

Yay! Coconut + brownies = heaven. Thanks Jessica!

Jenna — June 18, 2010 @ 9:00 am

I’ve never gone crazy over coconut, one of those things that I can take it or leave it, not feeling too strongly either way. These brownies though… I have a feeling that they could make me adore coconut!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 18, 2010 @ 10:19 am

yes PLEASE! i love your brownie recipes…sign me up!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — June 18, 2010 @ 11:12 am

butter makes everything taste better :) in the words of paula deen! these look so delicious, so sad that mr howsweet doesnt like them but hey, more for you!!

Blond Duck — June 18, 2010 @ 11:18 am

I think it’s amazing you can create this without a recipe. I have to have a recipe!

Allison — June 18, 2010 @ 12:08 pm

These brownies do look dreamy! In the past few years I have learned to love anything with coconut. And now I obsess over it!

Jen — June 18, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

I don’t even like coconut that much, but those brownies look delightful!!

Jen

marla {family fresh cooking} — June 18, 2010 @ 1:06 pm

I started really enjoying coconut last year and now I am hooked. These brownies could win me over any day! xo

Carly @ Happy Healthy Foodie — June 18, 2010 @ 1:50 pm

WOW. I need those brownies in my life.

Sarah — June 18, 2010 @ 2:50 pm

Yum! My husband loves coconut and would definitely be all about these :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 18, 2010 @ 3:38 pm

I love coconut so much!!! I am making these in my first week of summer holidays – they sound perfect to me!!!

Pure2raw twins — June 18, 2010 @ 4:24 pm

I am drooling…I love anything with coconut!

shelly (cookies and cups) — June 18, 2010 @ 4:57 pm

ok, now this sounds like a friday night! me, the sofa and some of these brownies. love me some coconut!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) — June 18, 2010 @ 8:32 pm

Oh wow!! Chocolate and coconut is only second to chocolate and PB, and that’s a very close second. Love coconut!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — June 18, 2010 @ 9:34 pm

“Jello instead coconut cream pudding” = memories of my childhood! my mom and grandma could make anything out of jello pudding mix and cool whip. and an angelfood cake. They would win church rumage bake sales with their concoctions. I grew up in a polish/russian full fat dairy old school house with serious cooks. And i turned out raw vegan.

HAVE FUN this weekend!!!!!!
    xoxo

CaSaundra — June 19, 2010 @ 7:19 am

Coconut + chocolate = heavenly!

CC Recipe — June 19, 2010 @ 8:56 am

These brownies look so fabulous! I so have to try these:)

Kailey — June 19, 2010 @ 9:14 am

this looks AMAZING. I am going to try it this weekend. Ahhhhhh

Sharlene — June 19, 2010 @ 10:37 am

Delicious. I made my first batch of topped brownies this past week. I had previously thought that brownies should be unadulterated with non-chocolate-y-ness or “frosting” of any kind. I was wrong. The idea is genius. I will most definitely be trying this combination out next!

Helen — June 19, 2010 @ 10:40 am

These look lovely. I love coconut so I can imagine how delicious these are. It is so funny how your husband and you have such different tastes….oh well, all the more for you!

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle — June 19, 2010 @ 8:18 pm

can you please open an online ordering service for all these sweets that you make? They always look so good and i always want to try them!! haha

roz — June 20, 2010 @ 5:56 am

I just love reading your blog, in fact so much that I have selected you to receive 2 blog awards over on my blog today. Keep up the great blog! All the best, Roz (aka bella)

El — June 20, 2010 @ 7:41 pm

What an amazing combination. They look great!

Shannon @ bakeandbloom.com — June 20, 2010 @ 10:58 pm

I’m just not a fan of any frosted brownies. I might use the coconut frosting on something else though it looks super yummy.

Camille — June 21, 2010 @ 7:00 am

I love it! And you…the end.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — June 24, 2010 @ 1:55 pm

I’m on and off with coconut, but these look great. Looks like I’ll have to pick up some coconut and give these a try.

Alicia — June 26, 2010 @ 7:10 pm

These look absolutely Delicious!!! Great combination of flavors. I think i would eat the entire batch myself if i make these

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Coconut Cream Topped Brownies. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Happening Right Now « Heather's Dish